Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was searching about stance widths for setting up my new board/bindings I found a Nidecker video that says to use the measurement from your heal to the middle of your knee to determine your base stance width. The video then goes on to show binding angles and adjustments to the stance width based on riding style - freestyle, all mountain, freeride, etc.

I have a directional freeride board (Amplid Pentaquark) so based on these factors the video says my base stance should widen a bit and my front binding angle in the +12 to +18 range while my rear binding angle should be close to zero - plus/minus 3 or so.

I had 25% of my right medial miniscus shaved off several years ago and bought bindings with canted footbeds and started riding duck - the bindings on my previous freeride board (Gnu Billy Goat) were at +15 / -15 but I’ve got my new bindings at +18 / -18.

As I searched around this forum it was mentioned several times that binding width/angles are really personal preference but was wondering if any other mostly freeride peeps ride duck in the +15 / -15 range or am I in the minority? Am I missing out on some freeride advantages by riding duck? I’ve never ridden a + / + stance before but should it be something I consider if my knees will take it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
As some people say that riding ++ feels more natural especially if you like carving. My stance is almost both positive +27/-3. I can still ride switch(though not as good) but i can with this stance.

· Registered
712 Posts
++ stance also minimizes toe/heel drag when you are layer over in a carve. I'm 95% freeride and I ride a +21, -6. Sort of duckish, and I ride switch fairly often ( with the wife and kids)

· Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
I ride +21/+9 on my Surfari and close to on my Dada. I tried going back to +/- on my Dada last trip but just didn’t feel comfortable for Me. Rarely ride switch, rarely ride park, all just open faces for me and these binding angles seem to work well for me anyway, feel natural and relaxed. Try a few, I was amazed just how different a few degrees +/- can make. Most resorts will have a binding/work station set up and it’s only a quick couple of minutes to change.

· Registered
12,479 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

So are you saying that riding duck to ease knee pain would possibly transfer wear and tear to your hips flexors and/or labrum?
No I'm saying posi posi does. Look at how you naturally stand when not snowboarding it's not a posi posi angle, it's not even a 0 0 it's probably some kind of duck stance. Unless you're a mongloid then all bets are off.

· Registered
165 Posts
Any stance works. If you are balanced, that is key. Edge hold on sheer ice is being able to balance on a tiny sliver cut into the slope, no matter what. Most people can't, it's why they slip out or chatter. The snow has to be EXTREMELY firm for sharp edges to be essential. You can grip on stuff that scares most people on fairly dull edges; even the type of snow that keeps ski patrol busy.

RIde whatever is comfortable. No amount of world cup edge tunes or special stances is going to help with balance and grip in challenging situations; it's all up to you.

· Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ride +21/+9 on my Surfari and close to on my Dada. I tried going back to +/- on my Dada last trip but just didn’t feel comfortable for Me. Rarely ride switch, rarely ride park, all just open faces for me and these binding angles seem to work well for me anyway, feel natural and relaxed. Try a few, I was amazed just how different a few degrees +/- can make. Most resorts will have a binding/work station set up and it’s only a quick couple of minutes to change.
I just might give +/+ a try - can’t hurt. :)

· Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, it literally can hurt. I was trying out +/+ last winter and ended up tweaking my knee.
Thanks for the info - I don’t need another knee injury at my age. :)

I was planning on rotating the bindings to +/+ and seeing how it feels on my living room floor before even attempting something on the hill.

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Over the Decades I've evolved from duck to now ++ and it's clearly the go to for AM, Freeride and Powder in how I ride (High speed carver/slasher and as little park as I can do ie zero). So just as @speedjason suggest....,

setting up to your riding style is the key.

With snowboarding we ride in a sideways direction as opposed to how we walk normally in a forward direction (or if you're big on side slipping). Riding +/- (duck) gives you the ability to ride switch with far greater ease as your front foot is positioned in the direction of travel. You can still ride switch in an emergency with double ++ but it's a lot more difficult.

Olympic slalom snowboarders (hardboot) are all riding aggressive ++ and can rip into insane high speed RN level angled carves with ease but they are very one direction with this setup. However that being said RN rides +/- but he's on an entirely different level..., to even universe with his carving to most others.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
I thought it was a little funny when I saw the duck angles on @PalmerFreak's new Pentaquark setup. I ride mine with some pretty aggressive posi posi angles, and that duck stance kinda freaked me out. I rode duck until I got into carving a few years ago. It's funny I'd never tried it before because I felt so much more at home on my board with ++ angles. I've never looked back. I don't even mind riding switch with ++ angles- it still feels like riding backwards but you look like Terje lol.

Specifically with the Penta, I set up my angles to get my feet to fit on the board so I can lay it over fully when carving without drag. That works out to something like 45/33 with my size 11 boots. If it was a wider deck, I could relax the angles but it really didn't take much getting used to. I only use my Penta for carving and groomer days however. I honestly wouldn't really want to freeride on it. That's what the Surfari is for lol.

I'd rock whatever angles you're comfortable with. Everyone's body is different. For instance, I've shattered my pelvis before. I've seen some incredible freeriding done with both stances.

· Registered
1,414 Posts
Whatever feels the most natural and powerful. For groomer carvers and pow boats, I set up in moderate ++. For most other freeride setups I find myself reverting to anything between +30/0 to +21/-9. I'm not trying to stick with the 30-deg. splay but seem to be comfortable with it.

· Registered
346 Posts
Maybe it also depends what you mean by freeride? If its carving on well prepared pistes and riding pow in mellow terrain then ++ could work for you. If its high consequence gnarly stuff with drops and variable snow, or even just a busy resort with steeps, moguls and inconsistent conditions then a wider stance with a bit of duck on the back foot is more stable and naturally shock absorbing. The first type of riding there are fewer surprises and impacts, the second type you need to be prepared for anything and everything coming at you thick and fast.

I've also had medial meniscus surgery and I find stances around 21/-6 to be the most comfortable and versatile, I can still carve but also ride switch and butter. I can also land airs without feeling like my knees might explode. One thing I noticed with ++ is that the lower you squat, the more your weight shifts towards the tail. Like you are not so much sitting down over the heel edge but onto the tail of the board. This is probably one of the reasons why it's good for turning/carving. The other side of that is that I lost the tail in chopped up pow or small drops where I was squatting to absorb landing but was not used to my weight automatically moving back so the tail went out from under me.

I guess it's a lot do do with individual mobility, strength and aesthetic preference. If I had better internal hip rotation and lived in Japan, I'd probably go ++ and snowsurf my way gently into old age.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts