Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you go freeriding without a helmet?

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
My daughter has the MIPS Smith Camber M 55-59 which just fits. I love wearing my beanie though 😢

I should look around you're right. What recommendations are there?
NB: Certain head shapes will fit some brands better than others

Scott and his Dad rate the Anon Logan.
(see my Anon Wavecel thread)

If you are at the upper end of the size range, you might want large in Anon wavecel Logan or Merak.
I got the Large Merak (head 60.5cm approx), and it is quite fitted.
I think all the large Anon wavecels in Aus (at Balmoralboards) got snapped up at EOS sale, but not 100%

Auski has Black Anon wavecel Logans in Large at the mo

@Craig64 is/was rocking the Giro Range MIPS

^^ one left in large - check the size range
Unisex (cm)SMLXL
Head Circumference52-55.555.5-5959-62.562.5-65

I suggest if you find a good prospect, don't sleep on it, as stock might be harder to get as the covid shitfuckery drags on and buggers up the logistics supply chains.

·
Super Moderator
1,339 Posts
Yeah I just had a read through those threads, I also like the look of the Giro Range which Auski is currently doing for $319 and Balmoral Boards is doing the Anon Merek Wavecell for $349 - both look like good deals. The Anon is only available in Grey/White which I'm not sure I like. Probably would just like a matt black finish.

My head is 57cm and the Smith Vantage M 55-59 I find a bit tight, wouldn't get a beanie under it so maybe I should go a large.

*edit - just saw your link, good price but can I live with the color - $279 is a good price.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well having read all those comments, I would say the general consensus is that not wearing a helmet is a risk simply not worth taking as sooner or later, as we all know, you will be thankful you are wearing one. Personally I wear Level Fly gloves with inbuilt wrist guards for exactly the same reason. I don't care who you are, sooner or later you will need them, unless maybe you are an experienced skater. Those people are bosses at falling.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
My daughter has the MIPS Smith Camber M 55-59 which just fits. I love wearing my beanie though 😢

Probably better off going to the store and actually try on. They have different shapes for your head and you wanna be comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
1,339 Posts
Probably better off going to the store and actually try on. They have different shapes for your head and you wanna be comfortable.
Would love to, my issue is the closest store would be like 2500 miles away

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
527 Posts

You'll be surprised how much you will actually enjoy a nice modern helmet that fits right.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Not to be a downer but this is a perfect example of why wearing a helmet makes sense. Live to ride another day friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
1,900 Posts
Not to be a downer but this is a perfect example of why wearing a helmet makes sense. Live to ride another day friends.

Yeah someone posted that page 3 of this thread 😞

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’ve never worn a helmet and been snowboarding and skateboarding for 20+ years without any incident. I remember the Schumacher crash and the resulting rise in helmet wearing. When I started and for a long time after that, the only people wearing helmets were ski racers in the fastest disciplines, super G and Downhill I think (I’m no expert on ski racing). I’m living in Austria right now and just starting to get my four year old kid on the snow. I always got stoked on Grilo’s insta and how he’d transitioned from big air beast to being a sponsored rad dad who still rips. It was super inspiring and obviously made a lot of sense for him and for a family oriented brand like Burton. I saw him and his family having a picnic and just enjoying life up at Stubai a few weeks ago. The news of his tragic death really affected me. I ordered a helmet the very next day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good decision. Like you I rode without a helmet for a long time. I startet around 93` at the age of 9 and no one in snowboarding was wearing protection gear at that time. I changed my mind about 7 years ago when I fell on a rock while freeriding and broke a spinous process. Since that crash i always wear a helmet and a lightweight backprotector / avy backpack.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You'll be surprised how much you will actually enjoy a nice modern helmet that fits right.
Wish one of those existed for my giant head, but I suffer through a "meh" fit and will continue the search.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I rode without a helmet for a long time and made the switch to set a better example for my boys. Also I spend way too much time in the glades to not be wearing one. Just makes logical sense. I wear one mountain biking so why wouldn’t I on a snowboard. The added benefit of a helmet is better wind protection and I can use it to deflect thin branches that are in my way at should height.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The added benefit of a helmet is better wind protection and I can use it to deflect thin branches that are in my way at shoulder height.

Your helmet might represent a free pass or two, and you might need one now and then. Was a easy choice for us, we ride a bunch above tree line and its freakin cold up there. Easy way to stay warmer. Also, I'm bigger than everyone in my crew, good for banging off branches in the trees, and I'm gonna hit them occasionally cause it works that way following smaller people. Also, I'm not riding on a ordinary day without tunes, and my speakers are in my helmet.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,313 Posts
I don't understand why this is even a controversy, honestly. Besides the obvious protection aspect, helmets also keep your noggin warm (and dry on crap days), stay put when you crash, hold your goggles better, and hold ODT speakers. Not to mention mounting cameras for the teletubbies among us.

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts