Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you go freeriding without a helmet?

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I rode without a helmet for a long time and made the switch to set a better example for my boys. Also I spend way too much time in the glades to not be wearing one. Just makes logical sense. I wear one mountain biking so why wouldn’t I on a snowboard. The added benefit of a helmet is better wind protection and I can use it to deflect thin branches that are in my way at should height.
What he said, although whilst I do many stupid and dangerous things, mountain bike riding is not one of them. Literally everyone I know gets ruined doing it eventually.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't understand why this is even a controversy, honestly. Besides the obvious protection aspect, helmets also keep your noggin warm (and dry on crap days), stay put when you crash, hold your goggles better, and hold ODT speakers. Not to mention mounting cameras for the teletubbies among us.
I run warm, so I dont need/want helmet for that, I tend to charge harder with helmet on (bigger drops etc = more dangerous), never had problem with goggles not holding with beanie and I dont listen to music when riding. I like to hear my buddies when I ride. I don't film myself riding.

So the helmet is only for protection, but it's so anoying.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I run warm, so I dont need/want helmet for that, I tend to charge harder with helmet on (bigger drops etc = more dangerous), never had problem with goggles not holding with beanie and I dont listen to music when riding. I like to hear my buddies when I ride. I don't film myself riding.

So the helmet is only for protection, but it's so anoying.
Agreed, I end up too hot most times because of mine. In ear tunes are nice though.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Agreed, I end up too hot most times because of mine. In ear tunes are nice though.
Agreed. I'm always looking for more venting on my head. It's less ideal when you're in the trees getting stashes dumped on your head. Light mesh doesn't really keep pow out.

Last season I rode with a really extremely light balaclava in my pocket. If I ever got cold, adding that tiny scrap of fabric on my head cranked my body heat up several notches. I'm keeping it around even if I rarely need it. It takes up way less space than the layering options I used to rock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everybody!!

Today I feel in a "survey mood" :D I posted a poll right here where you can vote about it.
Just like every couple of years, I attended an avalanche course refresher. You mostly do and hear the same things everytime, HOWEVER, this year the alpine guide leading the course said something that cought my attention.

"Why would some of you spend all that money in buying freeride safety equipment like a tracker, probe, shovel and even an ABS backpack which are all meant to increase your chances of survival in an avalanche, if then you leave a fundamental piece of equipment - the helmet - at home?"

This got me thinking....it´s true... I see a good 30% of freeriders just wearing a beenie riding down steep lines... and if you trigger an avalanche, according to how big the cut is, it will uncover stones and big sharks that you could potentially bang your head on while the avalanche is carrying you down, not to mention being swept off cliffs (even small ones!) etc etc etc...I personally always wear a helmet, which doesn´t even fully protect you from a head injury in every occasion (but better than nothing I guess).

So I would like to know, if you don´t wear a helmet when you go freeriding, what are the reasons behind that? Is it because some pros do it and it looks "cool" ? Or is it maybe just a habit / matter of comfort?

Just sheer curiosity :)
Hi everybody!!

Today I feel in a "survey mood" :D I posted a poll right here where you can vote about it.
Just like every couple of years, I attended an avalanche course refresher. You mostly do and hear the same things everytime, HOWEVER, this year the alpine guide leading the course said something that cought my attention.

"Why would some of you spend all that money in buying freeride safety equipment like a tracker, probe, shovel and even an ABS backpack which are all meant to increase your chances of survival in an avalanche, if then you leave a fundamental piece of equipment - the helmet - at home?"

This got me thinking....it´s true... I see a good 30% of freeriders just wearing a beenie riding down steep lines... and if you trigger an avalanche, according to how big the cut is, it will uncover stones and big sharks that you could potentially bang your head on while the avalanche is carrying you down, not to mention being swept off cliffs (even small ones!) etc etc etc...I personally always wear a helmet, which doesn´t even fully protect you from a head injury in every occasion (but better than nothing I guess).

So I would like to know, if you don´t wear a helmet when you go freeriding, what are the reasons behind that? Is it because some pros do it and it looks "cool" ? Or is it maybe just a habit / matter of comfort?

Just sheer curiosity :)
i almost always wear a helmet and don't wear one only if I either forget to pack it, or if I'm riding my tiny local east coast resort (ski liberty) and its a warm slushy day. When hauling ass or backcountry riding is on the menu, wear a helmet. They are warmer than without one, provide protection from the unexpected, and even work wonders on branches in tight tree runs. The benefits of wearing one far outweigh not wearing one, and looking cool isn't a reason to not wear it. last year a friend of mine would have half his scalp missing if he wasn't wearing it while riding trees in Heavenly, he took a spill and gouged his helmet on a hidden rock. You'll rarely need it but its worth it.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,930 Posts
Unless you have a helmet certified for cameras, wearing one on your helmet can be lethal.
I didn't know that, but I can see how the camera mount could get driven straight into your brain housing group. 😲

·
Registered
477 Posts
Helmet mount GoPro view sucks ass anyway. I prefer handheld.
I literally bought some from Aldi a few years ago that were on the side of the goggles..and they were bloody good also unless it was foggy. Ended up buying another 4 for like $60, perfect for bright sunny days , you just record or shoot whatever you are looking at, easy peasy. Prefer my Flight Decks for everything else though.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I literally bought some from Aldi a few years ago that were on the side of the goggles..and they were bloody good also unless it was foggy. Ended up buying another 4 for like $60, perfect for bright sunny days , you just record or shoot whatever you are looking at, easy peasy. Prefer my Flight Decks for everything else though.
I find that rather boring. I like showing what I am doing with my GoPro.
Shoe Sports equipment Snow Glove Slope

·
Registered
116 Posts
I always wear a helmet because alpine carving is dangerous enough as it is. When you cross the fall line at speed, there is always a risk of some straightliner coming at you from behind who was not yet visible when you last had the chance to look uphill. And they NEVER expect you to cross the fall line, even if they had ample chance to watch you doing just that five times in a row before they hit you.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
What he said, although whilst I do many stupid and dangerous things, mountain bike riding is not one of them. Literally everyone I know gets ruined doing it eventually.
This is how I feel about dirt bikes. Literally everyone I know gets wrecked on those damn things. And I feel like anyone in our sport or adjacent ones that gets hurt not doing their respective sport, it's always on a dirt bike.

MTN bike is a different story and depends on the common riding around you. Downhill tracks? Yeah about as injury prone as dirt bikes. Self powered go pedal, not so much.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Fender Rim

This could have been my skull earlier today. A falling skier took out my legs from behind, launching me into the air and I slammed headfirst on snocrete. I blacked out and came to at the medical bay where I found I had a pretty scary short term memory loss and a new accessory for a few months.
Couch Comfort Sleeve Wood Grey

No doubt the injury would have been much worse without my helmet. This wasn't the Christmas I wanted but at least I am alive to tell about it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
View attachment 160675
This could have been my skull earlier today. A falling skier took out my legs from behind, launching me into the air and I slammed headfirst on snocrete. I blacked out and came to at the medical bay where I found I had a pretty scary short term memory loss and a new accessory for a few months.
View attachment 160674

No doubt the injury would have been much worse without my helmet. This wasn't the Christmas I wanted but at least I am alive to tell about it.
damn dude, that sucks. Hope you recover alright.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
damn dude, that sucks. Hope you recover alright.
Thanks dude. CT scan came back clean so head is fine. Wrist compound frac needs a closer look after the holidays.

My Optimistic tho. Huge scars down the top, smashed in sidewall, and deep gouged base. 🪦

Now I'm pissed i can't play video games or do other fun, wholesome things with my right hand.

Calling Saul.
Font Poster Tie Microphone Blazer

·
Registered
309 Posts
My Optimistic tho. Huge scars down the top, smashed in sidewall, and deep gouged base. 🪦
Hang it on the wall for memories. Could be fun to look back at when all this is just something that happend way back

Now I'm pissed i can't play video games or do other fun, wholesome things with my right hand.
Go left handed, if you sit on it long enough first, it wont feel weird at all. ✌🏻

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,930 Posts
View attachment 160675
View attachment 160674

Holy smokes. Glad you're not too seriously injured. Get well soon.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Holy smokes. Glad you're not too seriously injured. Get well soon.
Thanks man. Got another good news today from orthopedics. Turns out the ER team that set the bones and put on the temporary cast did such a good job that the orthopedic surgeon said no surgery is needed. This saves at least two weeks from recovery, possibly more. Maybe there's hope of a late season return. Going to buy a nice bottle of wine for the ER doc.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks man. Got another good news today from orthopedics. Turns out the ER team that set the bones and put on the temporary cast did such a good job that the orthopedic surgeon said no surgery is needed. This saves at least two weeks from recovery, possibly more. Maybe there's hope of a late season return. Going to buy a nice bottle of wine for the ER doc.
That's great news!
got some wrist support gloves or protectors for that late season return?

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts