Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gee James has really lifted the game up here.

Shaved the beard, new fantastic fancy backlit set, active narrative review whilst riding on the mountain, nice transitional graphics, extensive long well orated review.

And let's not forget...., everyone in here wants to know more about the Orca馃惓

Setting a higher benchmark for Avran???

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See I have it on good authority avran rocks the snow scoot View attachment 159856
, hauls the decks behind him on a tow rope
I watch mostly all of Avrans reviews.
Now I have to be careful how I say this......, he gets pretty "Technical" going through the profile, sidecut, features, performance etc. Would be really good to see the board in action rather than sitting on 2 wooden blocks of wood, but that is his MO. However, I notice he's a decent lump at 200lbs but tends to ride a lot of boards in his reviews around the +/- 155 mark. I'm a similar weight and if I rode a 155 I would easily be able to throw it around like a toy and overpower it. Sort of like riding a Penny 22" skateboard. There's a limit to just how much fun you can have there.

Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
I seriously doubt we're ever going to get riding footage outta Avran.
In fairness he's too committed to not showing riding footage, so he can't start doing it now! There'll be a list of critics waiting.

I like his review format, his advice, and his humour - apart from Randy... 馃槵

Registered
The look is fresh and the review format is well segmented. But he tends to drift and lose focus when comparing multiple models at once. Would rather see smaller comparos broken into multiple vids if necessary.

Still trying to adjust to the Nerdy Snowboarder look... :unsure:

I like snowboard robot reviews more, just not as many.

His reviews are almost zen compared to the rest. Also helps that his footages are entirely of him riding, no glam product shots.

Registered
The look is fresh and the review format is well segmented. But he tends to drift and lose focus when comparing multiple models at once. Would rather see smaller comparos broken into multiple vids if necessary.

Still trying to adjust to the Nerdy Snowboarder look... :unsure:

I鈥檓 most stoked by the indexing, their reviews were too long for my tik tok addled brain, like being able to get to the good stuff
His reviews are almost zen compared to the rest. Also helps that his footages are entirely of him riding, no glam product shots.

Registered
IHowever, I notice he's a decent lump at 200lbs but tends to ride a lot of boards in his reviews around the +/- 155 mark. I'm a similar weight and if I rode a 155 I would easily be able to throw it around like a toy and overpower it. Sort of like riding a Penny 22" skateboard. There's a limit to just how much fun you can have there.
That is one thing I always thought as well. I'm a 5 to 10 pounds lighter than him and I always feel like I overpower regular width 155 boards (ok, all-mountain freestyle and freestyle decks, I'm not talking about freeride boards or carving boards, I don't use those). It's exactly why I use wide versions of boards in that length-range. shorter for freestyle yet strong enough for me.

However, we have to realize that he rides whatever demos the companies send him, it's not like he can just pick the sizes he wants.

Registered
That is one thing I always thought as well. I'm a 5 to 10 pounds lighter than him and I always feel like I overpower regular width 155 boards (ok, all-mountain freestyle and freestyle decks, I'm not talking about freeride boards or carving boards, I don't use those). It's exactly why I use wide versions of boards in that length-range. shorter for freestyle yet strong enough for me.

However, we have to realize that he rides whatever demos the companies send him, it's not like he can just pick the sizes he wants.

It鈥檚 good to know, when I鈥檝e asked him for advice he typically tells me to go upsize if I want precise chargers or down if I want playful freestyle, as an old dude I鈥檓 trending towards the later, I find softer flexier decks are more fun and laid back but still can rip a carve when needed

Registered
Gee James has really lifted the game up here.

Shaved the beard, new fantastic fancy backlit set, active narrative review whilst riding on the mountain, nice transitional graphics, extensive long well orated review.

And let's not forget...., everyone in here wants to know more about the Orca馃惓

Setting a higher benchmark for Avran???
New haircut, shaved beard, and new backlighting- but still has the comments turned off.

Registered
New haircut, shaved beard, and new backlighting- but still has the comments turned off.
I'm not saying I support the "no comments" aspect but I still wonder how much shit the guy would get on a regular basis just due to Avran's rants against the guy and the shills that think the same because Avran does... I don't enjoy his old reviews (haven't watched his new stuff) but at what point is the negativity towards the guy really warranted?

But it's probably just me being too "old" and "canadian" for my own good on the internet.

Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
However, I notice he's a decent lump at 200lbs but tends to ride a lot of boards in his reviews around the +/- 155 mark.
Hmm 200lbs, is that just a guess or did he say it once? I reckon he鈥檚 more like 185lbs. I鈥檓 6鈥4鈥 200lbs. Never tried to guess someone鈥檚 weight, this is funny 馃槅

1 - 20 of 64 Posts