Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yeah no hate at all for the guy...the more review content out there the better. Good for him on finding a way to make money off his passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of us in here are savvy enough with snowboarding to work out fact from fiction with reviews. I've never been that intrinsically critical of the TGR as well with their reviews improving and becoming better than they were in the past. I often get a laugh about them clowning around.

A lot of people buy gear online now and me personally, use every available article/review/experience to build up a good knowledge of that product before buying. Unfortunately in Australia we only have a small number of decent snowboard outlets scattered around the Country. In my area we only have one smaller ski/snowboard shop which is difficult to get to/get a park and is always full RRP anyway so I'm always buying online, which is what most of us do now days anyway.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The biggest problem I have with his reviews is that they are so inconsistent with the manufacturer’s description of a product and my own experience with the same product. So often the review seems to be describing a completely different product, or he directly compares the item to an item in a different category. Listening to him describe a stiff free ride board compared to a park deck for playfulness makes me want to reach through the screen and beat him to within an inch of his life. And personally giving a a rating to a boards ability to scarve/skid a turn makes no sense. I’ve assumed his new more professional presentation is directly related to evo (correct me if I’m wrong) providing direct sponsorship dollars to his reviews.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The biggest problem I have with his reviews is that they are so inconsistent with the manufacturer’s description of a product and my own experience with the same product. So often the review seems to be describing a completely different product, or he directly compares the item to an item in a different category. Listening to him describe a stiff free ride board compared to a park deck for playfulness makes me want to reach through the screen and beat him to within an inch of his life. And personally giving a a rating to a boards ability to scarve/skid a turn makes no sense. I’ve assumed his new more professional presentation is directly related to evo (correct me if I’m wrong) providing direct sponsorship dollars to his reviews.
Sooooo.....EVO glitter sprinkled on the Goonride turd. :rolleyes:

IMO, Sponsored / Paid reviews generally aren't worth the time taken to watch them. you might as well just read the marketing spiel in the manufacturer's catalogue.

Also, How does shop-flexing a board help? Surely it would be better to explain how much or little the Board flexes underfoot, how much torsional flex there is, and how best to ride it to get the most out of a given board.

Biestie seems to talk in bland generalities.

A red flag for me is " I rode these boards mostly with boot X and binding Z..."

where's the consistency in feel of boots and bindings when he reviews a different board, or compares two or more boards? It may be random. Any differences in board/ride feel could be more to do with his boots and bindings, rather than the board itself.

from biestie's Jones frontier review. (23 Dec 2020 on Youtube)
@8min 15sec : "When you compare this to a dedicated powder board, it's really lacking. " (he rode the pow board and the frontier in different conditions, as well)
I marvel at how biestie appears to be able to breathe unassisted.
The only useful statement was right in the last 20 seconds, where he basically says that it's an all-mountain quiver of one, doing most things well. It's just that there was 9min 40sec of waffle to get to that bit.

I just watched Snowboard robot's review of the 2022 Neversummer swift.

Concentrates on one board, explains any changes from previous model years, compares with the harpoon, but not a bunch of other boards. Talks about the ride feel and how to ride it.
etc.
The difference between SR and biestie is day and night.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,791 Posts
I agree. For a guy that's riding 100 different boards a year, at times it seems he doesn't know his head from his @$$... I think the fact that he rates a board's ability to skid turns is indicative of who a large portion of his target audience is - people that don't know how to ride. :LOL: In all fairness, I guess riders who skid their turns need reviews as much as hardcore riders. I take Avran and Kevin's reviews much more seriously. I've shot Avran some questions in the past, but I'd never ask JB for advice.

That said, JB has found a way to turn snowboarding into money, so good for him.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I agree. For a guy that's riding 100 different boards a year, at times it seems he doesn't know his head from his @$$... I think the fact that he rates a board's ability to skid turns is indicative of who a large portion of his target audience is - people that don't know how to ride. :LOL: In all fairness, I guess riders who skid their turns need reviews as much as hardcore riders. I take Avran and Kevin's reviews much more seriously. I've shot Avran some questions in the past, but I'd never ask JB for advice.

That said, JB has found a way to turn snowboarding into money, so good for him.
Yep Jimi..., unfortunately like most of us I have to work to Snowboard.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I can't help but wonder why he is trying to look like a retailer promo, what with the Las Vegas backlight, the carousel, and such. Before long, I think he will bring in a female assistant in a sequin swimsuit.

Through out the video from start to end, the gigantic logo on his desk takes up a third of the screen and the product being reviewed almost look like afterthoughts. You can barely tell the details even as he is pawing all over them to talk about the features.

He should hire a pro to coach him a few things before he buries himself in another series of expensive and mediocre videos.

It's more likely that Avran will do R-rated reviews of Biesty's reviews. My ears are starting to bleed just thinking of it.
An AVRAN REACTS video series would be pure gold. I'm tradmarking this idea btw.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
James getting up with some pretty solid riding skills; switch, 360 spins, tripods. Using "Davey Boy" as the big rider perspective input. Getting into some of the more technical aspects. A calmer more polished narrative.

I got a bit lost however with the length of this review.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts