Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up?
I was just wondering if anyone could recomend me a snowboard resort where i could find trees and good snow.
Last year i worked at killington VT (didnt like it) and i went to JAY PEAK and it was incredible: great snow, good riding vibes and loottttssss of trees. This year i have to choose where to go to ride/work and i would like to go somewhere like jay peak if you know what i mean.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Ya, is there a reason you ended up in the East Coast? If for whatever reason you are limited to there as you say Jay by a long shot is #1 , Sugarbush probably #2 .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
. No, it was my first time going snowboarding to the United States, so I chose randomly. I could choose any ski resort within the United States. it doesn't have to be necessarily from the east coast.
So if you know any other better option please tell me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What you mean by hard weather? Low temperatures?
I have read about jackson hole and its seems to be the "best ski resort". What do you think about that? And what about telluride?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
My rec is to pick a different area, select 1 centeralized resort to work at and then take little missions to the other resorts. The problem is that the distance between resorts in the west, rockies and pnw can be seemingly a bit of a distance of a 4-8 hour drive instead of a 1-2 hours. However, since you are working at a resort, just beg a seat with yer co-workers and hit it up. It seems that this year the general forecast winter weather is favoring the north to northwest central rockies and a bit of the pnw. Some places gotten hit with 2-4 feet and talked with a guy yesterday that said a crew did a beta 2 days ago and only 1 of 4 (the big/heavy member) got a core shot...so higher elevations are already laying it in. The other thing, that with this hopeful, anticipated earlier winter in some areas, they are starting to looking for carney folks.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/09/

·
Registered
259 Posts
What you mean by hard weather? Low temperatures?
I have read about jackson hole and its seems to be the "best ski resort". What do you think about that? And what about telluride?
I've been skiing all over Colorado and Keystone or Steamboat has some of my favorite trees. By far my favorite resort in Colorado for trees though is a no name resort called Powderhorn. Aspen trees galore. It is amazing. Monarch is also really good.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Hey whats up?
I was just wondering if anyone could recomend me a snowboard resort where i could find trees and good snow.
Last year i worked at killington VT (didnt like it) and i went to JAY PEAK and it was incredible: great snow, good riding vibes and loottttssss of trees. This year i have to choose where to go to ride/work and i would like to go somewhere like jay peak if you know what i mean.
Thank you.
Hate to say this, but I was gonna post to say Jay Peak and I live in the PNW. The glades at Jay are pretty special, especially if you can get there on a weekday with a buddy or two.

There are a bunch of places with decent tree riding out here in Washington but they're typically tighter over bumpier terrain. There are a lot more opportunities for side/back country riding though and the snow is way better overall.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I've been skiing all over Colorado and Keystone or Steamboat has some of my favorite trees. By far my favorite resort in Colorado for trees though is a no name resort called Powderhorn. Aspen trees galore. It is amazing. Monarch is also really good.
Rode 2 days at Powderhorn end of Jan this year...........those aspens are dope.......as are the pillows in the boulderfields......and the view from the lot.....unlike anywhere........

·
Registered
259 Posts
Rode 2 days at Powderhorn end of Jan this year...........those aspens are dope.......as are the pillows in the boulderfields......and the view from the lot.....unlike anywhere........
Yeah, its a great place. Very underrated. I love how well they clear the trees too. You can literally ride anywhere on that mountain and never have to deal with underbrush or bushes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Keywords "Aspen trees". I can't get enough. There's a direct correlation between tree species and how much snow makes it to the ground. With Aspens you get great coverage and reasonable spacing to draw some epic lines.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Keywords "Aspen trees". I can't get enough. There's a direct correlation between tree species and how much snow makes it to the ground. With Aspens you get great coverage and reasonable spacing to draw some epic lines.
Agreed.... we dont have nearly enough Aspens in the PNW. Another great place for trees is Crested Butte.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Agreed.... we dont have nearly enough Aspens in the PNW. Another great place for trees is Crested Butte.
Ya we traded the Aspens for actual snow. Doesn't Powderhorn get like East Coast baby snow totals each season? If you're under 300" of snow a year you shouldn't get to have the word powder in your name unless it's prefaced by the words "complete lack of"

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ya we traded the Aspens for actual snow. Doesn't Powderhorn get like East Coast baby snow totals each season? If you're under 300" of snow a year you shouldn't get to have the word powder in your name unless it's prefaced by the words "complete lack of"
They have good seasons and bad seasons. They seem to be more feast and famine though than some places. I've had some stupid deep days there though. And yeah..... you can have 250" and still have the word "powder" in your name because you get powder laps all day long. Unlike most of the resorts in CO that may get more snow but its tracked out in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Compared to pnw, inconsistant ground coverage under tight fir trees and death by wells
Death by wells- that's a scary death! Aspens have the friendliest wells I've ever seen.

Also, Powderhorn is over on the desert side of things, and has that light desert snow to boot. Crested Butte, Beaver Creek and Keystone have great tree terrain as well. However, Colorado is pretty crowded these days. Many secret stashes don't feel as secret anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts