Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help fixing my front foot pain, it's ruining my favourite sport.

Every time I ride after about an hour it starts, three little toes cramp up, also mid section of the foot, pain is excruciating and doesn't go away until I take my foot out of the boot. I do this and can get another run or two in before it's back.

This has been happening on my last 3 pairs of boots (Salomon, K2, Nitro) So I don't believe it's a boot issue. Also my back foot is perfectly comfortable the whole day with never any issues.

I've tried decreasing angle, increasing angle, tried less forward lean, tried loose boots, tried loose bindings... nothing helps.

My next plan is switching stance to goofy.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Thanks

Registered
Maybe something quick to test out... if you're up for a challenge.

Before getting on the lift, try unbuckling your front boot instead of your back, and ride the lift switch.

I do this every time I ride for at least 50% of the day. Not only does it help releive some pressure when breaking in new boots, but it also improves switch skills/riding.

Registered
I need help fixing my front foot pain, it's ruining my favourite sport.

Every time I ride after about an hour it starts, three little toes cramp up, also mid section of the foot, pain is excruciating and doesn't go away until I take my foot out of the boot. I do this and can get another run or two in before it's back.

This has been happening on my last 3 pairs of boots (Salomon, K2, Nitro) So I don't believe it's a boot issue. Also my back foot is perfectly comfortable the whole day with never any issues.

I've tried decreasing angle, increasing angle, tried less forward lean, tried loose boots, tried loose bindings... nothing helps.

My next plan is switching stance to goofy.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Thanks
Maybe your putting too much pressure on the top of your foot when tightening your boots. Pull the tongue of your liner up when tightening your boot to make sure it's not pressing down too hard on the top of your foot. Then tighten the ankle/shin part of the boot as needed. Easier to do if you have a dual zone lace system, but doable with single zone laces or Boas.

Might help.

Registered
If all of those boots were too big it's possible they've at least been contributing to the problem. It's worth checking out. What you describe is very similar to what I suffered with my first pair of boots.

Registered
I had the same issue, there were a few things I did to solve it

1. I checked my boot fit to ensure my heel was staying planted, foot cramping came for me when I was steering with my feet rather then leaning my body, i paid attention to my turns to tell if my heel was raising, if my calf was aggressively activating or if I was feeling major pressure on the pads of my toes. If any of that is happening checking boot fit and working on your turning form can help alot, there are a ton of great posts on this forum about mondo point sizing for boots and ways to lock down your heel as well as turning form about getting your full body weigh over edge for tunrs.

2. Getting custom foot beds has been a game changer, boot manufacturers put in trash beds, investing in a custom foot bed vastly improves the support of your foot and cuts down on unnecessary strain.

3. Added daily squats, planks and lunges, at night I throw down some stretches and about 25 air squats, 1:30 of plank and 10 lunges per leg, strengthening my legs & core helped me move the pressure of riding from my calves feet to my core/thighs/glutes

Registered
My first couple seasons I was wearing boots that were too big (by 2 full sizes). Never had any foot pain, but never progressed that far because I was getting tons of heel lift so I was never comfortable getting air or riding terrain that required quick turns. Every couple years I'd replace my boots and size them down a half size, and around 1 full size down I started getting front foot pain and would have to take a break in the lodge and unlace my boots every couple runs. The heel lift was fixed, but dealing with the pain was as bad or worse.

This season I decided to actually measure my foot and found out that I need a wide (EEE) boot. Even with a wide boot in the correct size, sometimes I still get some pain on the first few runs of the day, but only when I've overtightened the lower laces. Having dual zone laces (double boa or double speed lace) makes it a lot easier to keep the lower zone loose while keeping your ankle and shin locked in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the answers!

Morton's Neuroma:
Interesting but only happens when I'm snowboarding... not sure if that fits?

Riding lifts switch:
Tried but it doesn't help.

UncleHulk's tightening technique:
Will give it a try!

My boots were not too big...

Tried foot beds, no change.

I've been paying attention to what is happening to my foot before the pain starts and it seems I am getting a lot of heel lift (especially since I tried riding with less forward lean which I don't like at all). So my theory at the moment is that heel lift is causing more pressure on the ball of my foot, which causes my 3 small toes to cramp up.

Registered
I've been paying attention to what is happening to my foot before the pain starts and it seems I am getting a lot of heel lift (especially since I tried riding with less forward lean which I don't like at all). So my theory at the moment is that heel lift is causing more pressure on the ball of my foot, which causes my 3 small toes to cramp up.
Any movement within the boot can and should be eliminated. A little adhesive foam can go a long way. Have you checked out Angry Snowboarder's bootfit 101 series?

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts