Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have the choice between 5th to 12th of Jan or 26th to 2nd of Feb.

Would you say that end of Jan is a safer bet in term lf snow or is it the same?
I have read that end of Jan beginning of Feb gets more crowded, partly due to Chinese holidays. Not sure how accurate, and hopefully Furano is less crowded than the Niseko area anyway.

Any opinion?

Thanks a lot,

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hello,

I have the choice between 5th to 12th of Jan or 26th to 2nd of Feb.

Would you say that end of Jan is a safer bet in term lf snow or is it the same?
I have read that end of Jan beginning of Feb gets more crowded, partly due to Chinese holidays. Not sure how accurate, and hopefully Furano is less crowded than the Niseko area anyway.

Any opinion?

Thanks a lot,
We went 1st 2 weeks of February this year (wife used her long service) and it was absolutely epic, 10 to 15cm a every day for 2 weeks. I would recommend this time. Outside School Holidays in Australia ie for crowds (this will not be a problem really anyway).

We normally go middle of Jan'...., more crowded but no real lift line problems. Anytime between Jan/Feb will be epic though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you can predict the weather this far ahead , then you should be buying the lotto too. Sometimes it’s better early jan , other times late jan early feb. Heck, you can have massive dumps in dec, that the airport and public transport had to stop.
🏻🏻🏻

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We went 1st 2 weeks of February this year (wife used her long service) and it was absolutely epic, 10 to 15cm a every day for 2 weeks. I would recommend this time. Outside School Holidays in Australia ie for crowds (this will not be a problem really anyway).

We normally go middle of Jan'...., more crowded but no real lift line problems. Anytime between Jan/Feb will be epic though.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

The tour guide is not too responsive, so hopefully he will still have a slot for me by the time he replies.

In the meantime, I have booked a reasonably priced hotel with free cancellation.
I am thinking about finding some tour to join for certain days, and ride Furano by myself when I do not find anyone.
Do you think that is a good option?

All the best,

·
Registered
70 Posts
In general late Jan is a better bet for sustained winter conditions, but the weather is fickle. Chinese New Year can get pretty busy, but mainly in Niseko and Sapporo....many Chinese actually don't ride for so long they are pretty much there to experience snow so even if there are a lot of them, you won't be competing with the masses for the goods. Furano is much quieter than Niseko tho so i doubt you'll have much concern. It also gets less snow than Niseko, but it's much colder so the snow that does fall will usually stay in greater shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts