Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just received a snowboard : Jones Mountain Twin.
Unfortunately the board seems to have a defect.

On the tail, the metal edge in not properly build.
There's a gap of 1 millimeter between each metal edge junction on the tail.

Worse, on one of the junctions, the metal edge is not completely stuck to the board itself.
There's a 1 cm long gap on which I can introduce my nail between the board and the metal edge (in red on the picture).
This was made in the factory because I could find some wax in the gap.

What do you think of it ?
Should I return the snowboard to the retailer ?
Should I just fill the gap with a bit of glue?
Or do nothing and go riding !

Thanks

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I'd go back and swap it at the retailer. You don't actually need any edge on the tip or tail, but that is a big enough gap it could start ripping the edge off if you caught it on something just the right way.

I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't swap it for a new one. If for whatever reason you end up keeping that board, fill it with ptex or epoxy.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Worse than what's pictured, your board has 2 edge joints? No. Go get a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes Nivek, the board is designed in a weird way : the edge is in 4 parts... so 4 joints... It is weird but wouldn't be a problem if the board was properly build.

But according to you, can it have big consequences on the long run?
Because I'm thinking that either I can negociate a big discount on it, or I'll give it back to the shop.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If the gaps aren't filled it could lead to water getting into the core and that is bad news. There are some companies that use the four part edges but that board should be being sold as 2nd so you should get a big discount or return it for one built properly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just get it replaced. You can't go wrong if you do, and you only lose out on a little time.

They'll replace that no questions asked. Just don't ride it first.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
There is no construction reason for the way the board is shaped to have 4 edge joints.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone just told me that it was a common issue on Nidecker's board (Nidecker, Jones, etc.)... How the hell cannot hey build a nice snowboard for $400 ?!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Just ride it, the next one was built the same way and will be the same as what you have now. The gap is filled with epoxy so will not leak etc.
Everyone knows jones build quality is shit and that gap is the least of your worries tbh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyway, board sent back to the retailer.

Now question is : do I buy a new one of the same kind :dunno:

·
Registered
662 Posts
when I bought a shitty factory second omatic online, I sent it back and received a perfect one...but I probably got lucky. In retrospect, I should have asked them to inspect the board they were going to send me for gaps and any other flaws. If they say they can't do that, they're being lazy and blowing you off - in that case, I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news,

Jones Snowboard support services told me that the snowboards are now produced in by GST in Austria because there're better than Nidecker Tunisia.
:yahoo:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts