Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

We are thinking about going for a snowboard holliday to Geilo in Norway.

Anyone who has recently been there?

Is it a good place to go? Any hotels you can recommand to stay?

Thank you very much!
Dreamerke

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would rather go for the Alps or somewhere in Austria maybe. It sure depends on what your expectations are. But I see you're from Belgium and isn't it also easier for you to go south east instead?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey

Thank you for your reply.

The reason why we want to try Geilo is because you can reach that destination without taking a car / bus. For us it would be a flight to norway and then the train to Geilo.

The problem is that my son gets very fast car sick, so we want to avoid the car / bus. And Geilo was a destination that is reachable by plane / train.

If you have other suggestions that are reachable without bus / car i would be glad to hear so.

We are looking for a cool place to stay with little kids. So we don't need a lot of apres ski / nightlife.

Greetings
Dreamerke

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Many resort towns in Switzerland are reachable by train (we have the densest rail network in Europe).

For example Zermatt, if you like it big and high. Zermatt is pricy... if that doesn't matter, check the "Riffelalp" hotel, that one is up on the mountain an 2200m, reachable by the highest cogwheel railway in Europe. That's the view when you wake up and look out of the window
You'll find cheaper hotels down in the valley. The town is car-free, so nice and save to stroll around. However, passes are expensive as well.

Other towns with railway connection and not that big and expensive: Grindelwald, Adelboden Lenk (check the Lenkerhof, wonderful hotel if you want some luxury).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thats the view out of our alpine cabin (we're located bit further up), but it's almost the same in Hasliberg-Wasserwendi. It's located southside of the mountain so you have sunshine the entire day (while the ones in the valley are still/already in the shadows of the mountains)

I gotta say this looks really fine! How big is this resort? Never heard of it though.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
I gotta say this looks really fine! How big is this resort? Never heard of it though.
Yea, a widespread problem (not only in CH): many very nice "smaller" resorts won't be heard of, only the big names are promoted.

Www.berfex.at will give a list/stats of every resort.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
I was in Hemsedal Which is about a 30 minute drive from Geilo in April of this year, been there many times, but i live in Norway...

It has fantastic facilities for kids, is probably a little bigger than Geilo, and good accommodation in Cabins...

See if there are any holidays available to there as that i can highly recommend...

Things to look out for, check times of holidays in Norway before booking, they are different to the UK. And watch for local temperatures as they are pretty harsh in Jan and Feb, with children i would recommend end of march into april...

On a package deal you would be flying in to the same airport as you would for Geilo, which is Fagerness and again about 30-45 minutes from either resort. Or you fly into Oslo if you are booking everything yourself... My recommendation is use a package deal...!!! It is cheaper... ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea, a widespread problem (not only in CH): many very nice "smaller" resorts won't be heard of, only the big names are promoted.
Even though I'm from the Northern Europe, Denmark, I haven't heard of it though. Actually people here don't really travel that much to Switzerland for ski and boarding. Why? I really don't know. It has just always been France, Austria and now Italy is doing great. Haven't been in Switzerland myself but I would like to try. Maybe it's much cheaper than all the popular places that most Danish people traveling to.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Even though I'm from the Northern Europe, Denmark, I haven't heard of it though. Actually people here don't really travel that much to Switzerland for ski and boarding. Why? I really don't know. It has just always been France, Austria and now Italy is doing great. Haven't been in Switzerland myself but I would like to try. Maybe it's much cheaper than all the popular places that most Danish people traveling to.
According to the car registration plates and languages spoken at our resort, I'd say that we have mostly German and Dutch turists, and some Brits and Russians.
Well, compared to the Euro currency countries you listed, CH is rather expensive, (and was already before the Franc grew so strong). Haven't been to Denmark... but in Sweden, and the prices there compare pretty well to ours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, compared to the Euro currency countries you listed, CH is rather expensive, (and was already before the Franc grew so strong). Haven't been to Denmark... but in Sweden, and the prices there compare pretty well to ours.
Sounds like pretty much the same as here in Denmark then. To live in Denmark and Sweden isn't that much of a difference compared with food and such. We just don't have ANY sort of mountains here really, we have to travel north to Norway or Sweden or south in the alps or so.
The interest for ski and snowboard vacation of the danish ski turist is in a huge growth and have been for a while actually. It wouldn't surprise me if the next big resort of interest would be somewhere in Switzerland.

But back to topic :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts