Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
421 - 440 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Scraping was a real workout. I will move my workshop to the basement for the next waxing session.
I find having a good scraper without worn out edges helps. I personally like the rectangle cell phone size scrapers. And like anything, they need replacing after a while as well.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I love the rite to prepare the boards, wax - beer - scrape - beer, having the nice feel of perfectly smoothe bases as a result, knowing how sweet they'll run the next day.
+1

Sorry I didn't mean women can't do it. :blush: I just meant if SnowBunny doesn't want to do it she could tell her man it is a "man's job." Obviously it isn't really a man's job.

I too love waxing snowboards. Drink a couple beers and crank the music to 11. Personally I love listening to Jane's Addiction while I wax or Reggae.

:dance:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Hello Ladies and Gents

I'm taking my first adventure into board tuning.

My board is currently a perfect 90 deg. There was no tune to the side edge or base edge (confirmed by manufacturer).

I ride in the ice coast (Ontario). I was considering a base bevel angle of 1 deg and a side bevel angle of 87 (would that be considered 3 deg?). If it's considered 3 degrees that would give me 90-3+1=88.

For the side edge would 87 degrees be ideal for my riding conditions?

As for tools, I'm currently mulling over two different tuning items. I have a set of DMT Diamond Stones ready to go.

1) FK SKS Multi Tool

2) Fixed Angle Method for Side Edges and Beast Base Bevel Guide for Base Edge

Now I hear some people vouch for the FK SKS Multi Tool and others against it claiming accuracy issues. What are your thoughts on the two different routes for tuning?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello Ladies and Gents

I'm taking my first adventure into board tuning.

My board is currently a perfect 90 deg. There was no tune to the side edge or base edge (confirmed by manufacturer).

I ride in the ice coast (Ontario). I was considering a base bevel angle of 1 deg and a side bevel angle of 87 (would that be considered 3 deg?). If it's considered 3 degrees that would give me 90-3+1=88.

For the side edge would 87 degrees be ideal for my riding conditions?

As for tools, I'm currently mulling over two different tuning items. I have a set of DMT Diamond Stones ready to go.

1) FK SKS Multi Tool

2) Fixed Angle Method for Side Edges and Beast Base Bevel Guide for Base Edge

Now I hear some people vouch for the FK SKS Multi Tool and others against it claiming accuracy issues. What are your thoughts on the two different routes for tuning?
I am from Ontario too and ride with a 89 degree bevel - 1 base 2 side. A 3 degree side would be aggressive but if you like lay'n trenches then that would work.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
K... a base maintenance question

Recently adjusted my Spark G3 skins to a new splitboard, and while doing so, I thought of wasn't there something the dude in the shop told me to don't use them in warm temps..? Too late. I adjusted them in the appartment, the glue glued heavily, to my hands, hair... and board base. Lots of excess glue left on the base after taking them off.

No worries, I thought, that'll come off while riding. I did skin and ride meanwhile, 6000ft downhill on crusty snow... no abrasion of that sticky stuff which is still glued on the base. How to get rid of it? Scraping only further spreads it. Petrol?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Anyone know a good place I can learn about edge sharpening. I have never done it and I don't understand all this bevel shit.

Me dumb, me no understand you fancy talk. :hairy:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Not a video, but great reading and great photos.

Ski Tuning

By the time you read over everything on this site you will have a very good idea of exactly how to tune a board. You will also understand exactly what you are doing.

I still refer back to it from time to time.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Tuning

Anyone know a good place I can learn about edge sharpening. I have never done it and I don't understand all this bevel shit.

Me dumb, me no understand you fancy talk. :hairy:
Willi Wiltz from Toko is excellent. Very comprehensive instruction on a number of video's. About 40 mins each. Base bevel/side edge/wax. Talks a lot of technical shit (maybe a bit over the top) but knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

I've had a couple of multi-angle tuners and I've got 2 beefs with them. 1) You have to use their files and stones because nothing else will fit in them. 2) They don't seem too accurate. Some time you get shavings, sometime you don't even seem to make contact with the edge. Always seem to take a lot of fiddling and the job never finishes up as nicely.

The fixed angle ones are really simple to use and use well. Quick to change stones and pretty fool proof. More expensive up front, but the saving is in not having to use the OEM supplies.

3 Degrees off the sidewall is a lot. And it is hard to go back. The farther below 90 you go, the sharper it will be initially, but the faster it will dull and chip.

I ride Ontario ice with a 1+88=89 with no problems

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Rotobrush

Just grabbed a Toko snowboard and a Toko Ski roto brush with white nylon heads for the first time to do my boards and ski's. Have been using a combination of brushes copper/nylon/horsehair for the last a few years.
Wow..., they are initially expensive $$$ but are absolutely brilliant and so quick.:bravo2: The base looks fantastic after a couple of light passes with structure lines running from tip to tail. :thumbsup:
Well worth the acquisition if you're fully into tuning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
my board is described as: the Freestyle Edge Bevel is a 2-degree edge holding tune throughout the key parts of the sidecut moving to a 3-degree bevel between the feet
How should I proceed when sharpening edges? Should I have different angled file guides for different parts of the board? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
My guess would be that's in reference to the base edge rather than the side edge? Unless you're getting a base grind you won't be altering the base edge angle. The side edge is what most diy tuners like myself actually sharpen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My guess would be that's in reference to the base edge rather than the side edge? Unless you're getting a base grind you won't be altering the base edge angle. The side edge is what most diy tuners like myself actually sharpen.
It is a Salomon board. Same description for both the Sabotage and Villain boards (freestyle park boards).
I guess the description is about the base edge.
I don't plan on changing the base edge, I just thought it needed some sharpening sometimes.
Since it is a freestyle oriented board then I guess the side edge is 90' degree?

I'm just trying to figure out which edge tuning equipment I need to keep the board in good condition.

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

421 - 440 of 450 Posts