Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone says boots are the most important part of your system. I have a pair of Ride Orions (basic Ride boots). This season I am going to be upgrading my board/bindings but planned on keeping my boots. Besides fit, do what boots you wear really matter? Mine fit me fine although I do get a small amount of heel lift. I guess I am wondering, what exactly would I benefit, if any, from getting new boots. Is the benefit between something I have vs a new more expensive boot simply in confort? I'm trying to determine if I would benefit from getting new boots when mine still fit fine and are in good shape even though they are very basic boots.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If your boots fit and still have life to them, ride them. The only other thing to look for in a boot is the flex, but that is after you find what fits best. Flex only matters if you have a boot that fits.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I started with the system of lacing. I wanted boots with the BOA system in the worst way. It just makes it so much easier to adjust tension and take them off or put them on. Then I started to try boots on. The 32's I first tried on had so much heel lift it was a definite no this will not work. Tried on Vans, DC, K2, Burton, and then Ride. The Ride boots instantly fit like a glove with no heel lift what so ever. Comfort is definitely the #1 priority though. Then look into price range that you can afford and what not.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
How do boa work now a days. I know they were not to great a few years back. They seem really good now. Especially the 32 ones with the ability to tighten in different parts of the boots.

I will probably never get BOA boots, but that factor is something I really wish they could put into laces.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have no problems at all with them. The laces retract on their own so there is no constant winding. It's just spin the dial and you are set. To release just pull the dial out and bam they are loose you can pull the tongue of the boot all the way forward. Super simple and they tighten even across the whole boot. I found no need for the 2nd dial boots as I felt those were just masking heel lift by allowing you to tighten that section more. Again finding boots that fit your foot best is the top priority.

·
Registered
288 Posts
How do boa work now a days. I know they were not to great a few years back. They seem really good now. Especially the 32 ones with the ability to tighten in different parts of the boots.

I will probably never get BOA boots, but that factor is something I really wish they could put into laces.
BOA is good, the only people with problems are the people who rest their board's edge on the the laces and cut them...any laces can get cut. User error is not BOA's (or any lacing system's) fault. Many companies do Focus BOA (two BOA knobs, and upper and lower section) not just 32. Since BOA is a separate company, every manufacturer pays royalties on each BOA dial they use. That drives up the price of the boot, then again, BOA backs everything they make by replacing or repairing it, in the even of manufacturer defect. 90% of the BOA boots that I see come in the shop are user error.

BOA is a lacing preference, just like any type of speedlace or traditional lace. It's not for everyone, just like traditional laces aren't for everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts