Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up guys. Well I'm getting back into snowboarding after 10 yrs of being out. I'm from Washington 32 yrs old. Anyways I've got a Ride board I paid $300+ for back then and was wondering how the boards then compare to the boards now days. Not sure if I should just order new boots and binding or a whole set up. Thanks for you help

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Shit has changed a ton since 3 years ago. But it doesn't mean your board can't still perform. The board is the biggest difference out of all equipment as far as tech goes. I would definitely get a new board at least. If the boots still fit and are comfortable not urgent to get new ones. As far as bindings that is kinda up to you. Some big changes in tech, but nothing you can't live without.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet thanks for the reply. I kinda figured it changed alot. My board probably compares to a $150 board now lol

·
2,316 Posts
It depends on the board, but more or less there have been some pretty big changes. Doesn't mean you will be at a big disadvantage riding your old board though, especially if you are used to that style. There are still many boards that use older traditional camber styles and shapes, but the rocker/alternative-camber explosion about 5 years ago created a lot of diversity in the board market.

Unless you have cash to blow, there's nothing wrong with taking out the old gear to get your sea legs back. If you find yourself addicted to the sport again, a new setup definitely changes things up and can make snowboarding a lot more fun. I have a 5-yo traditional camber/shape board which I loved, but as soon as I got on some new more forgiving technology I was hooked.

Skills make the snowboarder though, the gear just accentuates your style.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Go ride it! When I got back into it a few seasons ago after being out for about as long as you, I had a board from the mid-90's that I rode. It worked just fine. You may wanna look into new boots and bindings, but it's certainly not necessary. Where do you ride in WA? There's a few of us on this forum that are in your neck of the woods. I'm begining to think we might need to plan a WA/OR/ID forum gathering at Baker, Crystal or Hood. Hmmmm.......things to consider. Anyway, get out there and shred that stick! There's plenty of snow!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
shred the old girl, she'll be loving it!

Then as others said if you feel your going to get back into it in a big way you'll love the new gear, easier to use and way lighter too. Just makes it a bit easier and more fun. I think the advances don't make as much difference to just straight riding and carving, but if you want to play it is much easier with lighter gear and the rocker/camber hybrids.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think I might tough it out this yr and roll "Old School":cheeky4: I will get some new bindings and boots though, and get a new board next year. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go ride it! When I got back into it a few seasons ago after being out for about as long as you, I had a board from the mid-90's that I rode. It worked just fine. You may wanna look into new boots and bindings, but it's certainly not necessary. Where do you ride in WA? There's a few of us on this forum that are in your neck of the woods. I'm begining to think we might need to plan a WA/OR/ID forum gathering at Baker, Crystal or Hood. Hmmmm.......things to consider. Anyway, get out there and shred that stick! There's plenty of snow!
I'm from Moses Lake. I ride Mission Ridge alot and Stevens now and then. Been to Silver, Big White, Apex, Hood and Crystal. Broke my back at Hood 11 years ago :mad:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hey OP, why'd you not ride for 10 years? The back thing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey OP, why'd you not ride for 10 years? The back thing?
No... had a kid and got married lol. Was time to support the family. Now my daughter is old enough that she wants to learn so I've got her pumped to go. They dont really seem to be interested in anyhting else I do which include dirtbikes/streetbikes, 4x4ing and hunting lol. So this will be fun, she actually interested in something that I can relate too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
there have been some pretty big changes. Doesn't mean you will be at a big disadvantage riding your old board though.

Unless you have cash to blow, there's nothing wrong with taking out the old gear to get your sea legs back. If you find yourself addicted to the sport again, a new setup definitely changes things up and can make snowboarding a lot more fun. I have a 5-yo traditional camber/shape board which I loved, but as soon as I got on some new more forgiving technology I was hooked.

Skills make the snowboarder though, the gear just accentuates your style.

Very well put Hobo. I was in the same situation as the OP last year. I bought new boots (mine were rode hard and put away wet), then got my trusty late 90's K2 Fatbob (with old ass Simms bindings) tuned-up, and rode the shit out of it for one last season and had a blast!

I picked up a K2 Slayblade 1/2 off at the end of the season and got 4 or 5 days on it and couldn't believe the difference (no shit right!?). Faster, bigger, landing everything (almost), more confident. The first real progression in my riding since high-school.

During the season, you couldn't have convinced me that I could be riding any better, or having any more fun than I was just by getting a new board. Ignorance is bliss. But knowing what I do now, I would've loved to have had the Slayblade all season!

But I had fun with ole bessie regardless and picked up new gear way cheap at the end of the season and now have a ton to look forward to this season. :cheeky4:

Good luck man, hope you have a great season!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts