Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
That was really great to see those old school techniques explained really well. Now people talk about Euro carving and getting surfy and contradict some of those teachings… but they worked.

For the arms they use to say to picture driving a bus with a huge steering wheel at waist level. You initiate the turn by starting to turn the wheel. 30 years later… if I find myself flailing around I still think ”just drive the bus”.

· Registered
49 Posts
If you keep building pressure on your toes and jut your hip out and arch your back aggressively. You will notice your knees bend purely to add edge angle, not to "just bend knees to get lower on the board doing some squats". If you focus on bending the knees, your lower back is going to flop over and you will be patting the snow.

Do the above aggressively enough that makes you think you are going to high-side blow out of the turn prematurely. The steeper the slope, the more of that terminal feeling you should get like you are just going to "topple over because I'm angulating so hard".

You should get your answer there then. If you are really good, you can get max edge angle right at the fall line or right after; and get all the speed control you need without traversing across forever. I really only ever see this by really good riders with a race background. It's more common to draw out the turn across + up the hill.

· Registered
15 Posts
If you keep building pressure on your toes and jut your hip out and arch your back aggressively. You will notice your knees bend purely to add edge angle, not to "just bend knees to get lower on the board doing some squats". If you focus on bending the knees, your lower back is going to flop over and you will be patting the snow.

Do the above aggressively enough that makes you think you are going to high-side blow out of the turn prematurely. The steeper the slope, the more of that terminal feeling you should get like you are just going to "topple over because I'm angulating so hard".

You should get your answer there then. If you are really good, you can get max edge angle right at the fall line or right after; and get all the speed control you need without traversing across forever. I really only ever see this by really good riders with a race background. It's more common to draw out the turn across + up the hill.
Great tip! I always focused way too hard on the knees too, so I guess it doesn't come naturally sometimes. I'll keep this in mind next time I go up. Anyways, do you have any similar tips for the heel side edge? Unless, I'm being an idiot and this applies to both edges, then ignore that question.

· Registered
49 Posts
Great tip! I always focused way too hard on the knees too, so I guess it doesn't come naturally sometimes. I'll keep this in mind next time I go up. Anyways, do you have any similar tips for the heel side edge? Unless, I'm being an idiot and this applies to both edges, then ignore that question.
The knees advice does have validity. Unfortunately you will be taking up excess slack from the flex of your boots most of the time if done right.

For heelside, balance on your heels agressively. And I mean try to smash your toes against the top of your boot level of effort. Do not let up on hard snow, unless you want to chatter.
I'm going to omit some other advice as I think it will hurt you and it goes against traditional instruction possibly. Every variant of the technique you will read up on heelside still relies on the above.

Have fun.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts