Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am 5'3 and I weigh around 100-105 pounds and I wear a size 6 for boots.

I was wondering if a 141 board will be too short for me?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Whatever board you consider, look at the specifications/details of the board. There should be listed a weight range, generally you want to fall in the middle of the weight range; some of it can be mitigated by flex; and with small feet you will want to pay attention to waist width or width at the bindings. You should throw out some boards you are considering, your experience level and where you will be riding....snow/terrain is also part of the equation. Wiredsport, BA and others can help once you know what you want and your ability level. Narrow it down and if you can go and demo or do a performance rental to test drive them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am going towards the Roxy Ollie Pop board. I am just not sure if 141 is too short for me since I am 5'3 but I do fit in the weight range of the board. The weight range of the board is 65-130lbs

I started riding last season and I've learned how to link my turns and all. So I guess I would say I am going out of the beginner level and into intermediate level. But also, I been learning off of a 149 board and I had a bit of a trouble controlling my board and craving/turning.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Its not really a matter of your height and board length...its more about weight to board length. However the most important is a rider's skill trumps the board design and specifications. As you progress and at an advanced/expert level you will be able to ride any board...but the issue will be what is the best board design and size for the type of riding and the snow/terrain that are there to ride....that is why folks get several boards (a quiver)...some days I will bring 3 boards to the hill and then select the best designed board for the available snow conditions...and they range from 155 to a 164.

Roxy Ollie pop in a 141 sounds about right...it will be much easier to progress than the 149

If you keep riding the larger 149 and are determined; there are some potential rewards and pitfalls...steep punishing learning curve...but if you master it...you will have no fear of blasting and it will force you to develop very fine/finesse edging skills. My daughter went this route and at the end of 3 winters, (your size) she was throwing around a 148 stiff freeride board and was wickedly fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not really a matter of your height and board length...its more about weight to board length. However the most important is a rider's skill trumps the board design and specifications. As you progress and at an advanced/expert level you will be able to ride any board...but the issue will be what is the best board design and size for the type of riding and the snow/terrain that are there to ride....that is why folks get several boards (a quiver)...some days I will bring 3 boards to the hill and then select the best designed board for the available snow conditions...and they range from 155 to a 164.

Roxy Ollie pop in a 141 sounds about right...it will be much easier to progress than the 149

If you keep riding the larger 149 and are determined; there are some potential rewards and pitfalls...steep punishing learning curve...but if you master it...you will have no fear of blasting and it will force you to develop very fine/finesse edging skills. My daughter went this route and at the end of 3 winters, (your size) she was throwing around a 148 stiff freeride board and was wickedly fast.
Yes, that's what people are telling me as well. I guess I am scared that since it is a shorter board, I will have less stability... and If I have a longer board, it would be harder to maneuver. :\ ...which is why I wasn't sure if I should get a 145 as well or maybe finding a board that's 142 or 143 :S

The places I snowboard, majority of the time it has a lot of ice :( which is why I also wanted to get the Roxy Ollie Pop. I heard the board is really good with edge control! Also, I want to try going on the parks too but nothing too intense. I'm still scared. hahaha.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Park and ice...shorter and with magnetraction. If you are riding hard pack and ice, you don't need a longer board...unless you want to blast groomed ice...then you want a cambered board that is a tad longer....like a 144/46....But I'd doubt that you are ready to blast groomers at 40+mph. You would have a tough time throwing a 149 in the park.

btw the "stability" that you refer to is...stability while going fastish...like over 25-30+mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, okay. I didn't know that!! Thank you so much for your input! It really helped! :)

141 it is!! :D Hopefully I won't gain over 20 pounds by winter. haha.

Now, I just have to figure out which bindings to get. I am debating between Burton Scribe, Union Rosa and Union Milan.

I am leaning towards Union Milan. Do you know anything about these bindings or other binding suggestions that will be great for the Roxy Ollie Pop?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I am going towards the Roxy Ollie Pop board. I am just not sure if 141 is too short for me since I am 5'3 but I do fit in the weight range of the board. The weight range of the board is 65-130lbs

I started riding last season and I've learned how to link my turns and all. So I guess I would say I am going out of the beginner level and into intermediate level. But also, I been learning off of a 149 board and I had a bit of a trouble controlling my board and craving/turning.
My girlfriend is 5'5, 120 lbs and rides the 145 I think. She is on the high end of intermediate, makes good carves, rides fast, just doesn't like moguls, trees or steeps. But yeah, if you are progressing, and 100 lbs, go for the 141.

·
Registered
38 Posts
my gf is in the exact same boat.

she's 5'2", 100 - 105 lbs and she's done growing. she has a small petite frame.

she currently rides a 144 burton stigma.

boards she's looking at between 140 - 144 range:

capita birds of a feather
capita space metal fantasy
burton social
ride OMG
b-street

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
It's just a calc, but the one I use most often spit out 140 as the "ideal" size for someone with your specs who wants to do all-mountain riding and is an intermediate...

I've found the calc is pretty accurate with most people I've helped with board size.

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

That said, it's just a starting point. If you've been learning on a 149, dropping 10 cm might be a bit extreme. You may love it, or hate it. I'd be tempted to go in the low-mid 140s for your size.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
C2 boards also ride a bit longer then what is advertised. So the 145 Ollie pop will ride closer to your 149 board you have been learning on.

The 141 will ride roughly 3 cm longer, so like a 144/145, which is where you want to aim.

141 all the way!

·
Registered
157 Posts
My GF is of similar size and wt.. She's having a good amount of difficulty getting the hang of it with a stiff 141 morrow traditional camber so I'm leary on even getting a 141 rocker.

I might just get her a kids board until she can link turns and get off the bunny hill.. Thinking about 138-140 full rockered.. lol..

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
My GF is of similar size and wt.. She's having a good amount of difficulty getting the hang of it with a stiff 141 morrow traditional camber so I'm leary on even getting a 141 rocker.

I might just get her a kids board until she can link turns and get off the bunny hill.. Thinking about 138-140 full rockered.. lol..
It's because the board is a stiff cambered board.

You would put here on a 145 flexy rockered board and she would find it easier.

Definitely don't downsize...

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's because the board is a stiff cambered board.

You would put here on a 145 flexy rockered board and she would find it easier.

Definitely don't downsize...
Ok cool, thanks.

I figured if I'm quoted a 163 on the same site, but ride 155-159s mostly a 157 and she is quoted a 140 for free ride I was going to downsize a few CMs. :dunno:

I just want her to finally 'get it'.. Would make it much more enjoyable when she comes.. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
C2 boards also ride a bit longer then what is advertised. So the 145 Ollie pop will ride closer to your 149 board you have been learning on.

The 141 will ride roughly 3 cm longer, so like a 144/145, which is where you want to aim.

141 all the way!
Oh really..that's interesting! I did not know that! Thanks for the heads up! :)

...but wait, wouldn't that mean it might be a bit too long for me? : S

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's just a calc, but the one I use most often spit out 140 as the "ideal" size for someone with your specs who wants to do all-mountain riding and is an intermediate...

I've found the calc is pretty accurate with most people I've helped with board size.

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

That said, it's just a starting point. If you've been learning on a 149, dropping 10 cm might be a bit extreme. You may love it, or hate it. I'd be tempted to go in the low-mid 140s for your size.
Yes, that is what I was worried about too! But if what BigmountainVMD said is true about C2 boards then I guess 141 will fit me just fine?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yes, that is what I was worried about too! But if what BigmountainVMD said is true about C2 boards then I guess 141 will fit me just fine?
I wouldn't over think it too much. Dropping 10 cm is a fair bit, but it's not going to make you unable to board. If the board design has longer effective edges then a shorter one will feel longer when carving.

Either way, as long as you're in the weight range (ideally near the middle) you should be good to go! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Ok cool, thanks.

I figured if I'm quoted a 163 on the same site, but ride 155-159s mostly a 157 and she is quoted a 140 for free ride I was going to downsize a few CMs. :dunno:

I just want her to finally 'get it'.. Would make it much more enjoyable when she comes.. lol
Given everything else is the same, switching from camber to hybrid camber or rocker will immediately make the board easier to turn. Same with flexibility. If the same Morrow board was more flexy, it would be easier to turn.

That site also doesn't consider the camber/rocker construction of the board. It recommends a 166 for freestyle/freeride (all-mountain) but I rode a 157 quite effectively last season. I'm sizing up to a 160 this year, but wouldn't want to go any longer since the board is a hybrid.

Oh really..that's interesting! I did not know that! Thanks for the heads up! :)

...but wait, wouldn't that mean it might be a bit too long for me? : S
I'd go 141. If the site recommends something around 144, that would be for a camber board, so you can knock off a few cm for a hybrid board. Thus, a 141. Like I said before, it tells me I need a 166, but I was very happy on a 157 all last season.

The only way I'd recommend a 145 is if you were a bit more advanced, rode some more powder or liked to go really fast. If you see yourself going that direction, a 145 would be fine, but it could be more difficult to turn in the meantime. I really think the 141 would be perfect (and I tend to meticulously over think these things, so that's a good sign).

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
That site also doesn't consider the camber/rocker construction of the board. It recommends a 166 for freestyle/freeride (all-mountain) but I rode a 157 quite effectively last season. I'm sizing up to a 160 this year, but wouldn't want to go any longer since the board is a hybrid.
Don't be a pussy! I'm 175 and ride a 160. It's a lot of fun even in tighter trees... I was debating about a 168 just for the fun of it! :yahoo:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts