Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone- I'm new to the forum.

My girlfriend just bought a board- a 144cm Burton Feather. She's 5'5" and roughly 120 lbs. She got a great deal on it (it's a 2013 model) but she's having some potential buyer's remorse.

Basically, she's concerned that this board isn't going to be long enough / have a high enough weight rating (it's rated from 100 to 130 lbs). Her fear is that at higher speeds, the board will have less control. She's mostly interested in all mountain snowboarding.

The next step up with the Feather is a 149 rated for 120 to 155lbs, which seems excessive. We're both relatively new to snowboarding, and when we try to google these things, we get a billion different sites promising the One True Method For Sizing Snowboards.

So, I figured I'd post here: are her fears valid, or is she going to be happy with the 144?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
New to snowboarding? Just ride it.
In a year or two she can decide what she does and doesnt like and can choose a board that suits her style. At the moment that board will be fine.

My gf is slightly smaller and riding a 138. She doesnt know a thing other than that there is a snowboard attached to her feet ;-)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
A few times is still new IMO.
If she has enough experience to make a judgement on that board being good for her thats great but most people who have been a few times simply dont have enough experience to make that call.

IMO the board will be fine, dont sweat it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
She has a ways to go with her skill before stability at speed is a concern. At that point a different board could be good but not a bigger board. The feather is a full rocker board and that will be the main concern at higher speeds. Have her concentrate hard on proper technique through the whole season and then at the end she can decide if a different board will be right for her.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
IMO the board will be fine, dont sweat it.
Yeah my trusty snowboard calc spits out 143 as being "ideal" for her dimensions, so the 144 will be perfect.

Also, she's right in the middle of the weight rating by the manufacturer. That's what you're looking for. Best not to be at the top or bottom end of a weight bracket until you really know what you want in a board.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
That board is perfect for her. It's rockered so it will work fine in pow plus have enough effective edge to hold her on the groom. I'd guess if she has only rented, she has probably used longer boards because they are cambered. My wife's boards are all from 139cm-144cm, she is of similar stature.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The feather is an entry level board designed to get people into the sport; it's not really a board she'll grow with, so it's best bought at the best length for her current skill level and weight. The 144 is perfect for where's she's at now and in a season, or 2 she can get a board that fits her skill level and interests at that time. Don't buy a bigger, trying to make it something that it's not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
She's 5'5" and roughly 120 lbs.
I'm 5'3 and roughly 110 lbs, I rode a 145cm last season and it was too long for me, so I think she'll be fine. I think the general consensus is to get a shorter board for your range when you're still starting out anyway, as they'll be easier to manage/turn/control. When they talk about losing stability at high speed, they're talking about some pretty damn high speeds, so nothing to worry bout. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts