Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding since 1992 (I know you weren't born yet, lol) Started with soft boots and after 23 years of riding Alpine boards, race boards whatever they're called, the ones you were hard boots on I switched back to soft boots 2 years ago.
So...my style is mostly fast (not nearly as fast the older I get, lol) and alternating between S turns and edge to edge straight line charging.

I'm riding a GNU Antigravity with Magnetraction. It's a hybrid (Camber, Rocker, Camber). C3 so their most aggressive (stiff and camber) class of board. This board looks great and holds an edge well even with my 230 lbs charging.
It's especially good in icey or granular conditions. It's easy to move getting off the lift. Overall I'm very happy with this board.

The issue I have is when going fast, edge to edge straight down and opening to heel side just a bit to check my speed the board starts bouncing or bumping a bit. Chug, chug, chug (can't figure out how to explain better). As soon as I reduce the angle it stops. I've reached out to Mervin Boards but getting a call back never happened. Asked the folks at EVO and he did his best to guess but had never heard of this.

Anybody with a Magnetraction board ever experienced this? Any ideas on what is causing it? How to make it not happen given that I have to open the board to slow myself?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not magnetraction, it's the flex of the board.
Can you be more specific. It's a C3 which is GNU/Lib Techs stiffest board. But...it's a hybrid, which is new to me. I've had multiple boards from very stiff, camber race boards to a hybrid rocker board I have now (with Magnetraction) this is the only board that has ever done this. I don't use the GNU rocker board for hard charging so that doesn't tell much.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I’ve been riding almost as long as you and came from a very stiff boarder cross board. I’m currently riding a GNU SPAM which as far as I can tell is very similar to the anti gravity. I believe it’s the limited edition predecessor. These boards aren’t really chargers, although they will do it. The SPAM is happiest when I’m not riding 10/10 and cruising throwing down fun turns and hitting side hits. A style some call “snow surfing”. It doesn’t handle the same way as my old board at all. It likes to end turns on the back foot flexing at the center. Maybe you just need to get more familiar with it. Also, I’m not sure C3 has anything to do with how stiff the board is as it’s a camber profile not a flex rating. Essentially, if you’re used to OG stiff camber from the 90s and looking for something that rides the same this is not the board. If I’m wrong about the relationship between the SPAM and AG I guess this is irrelevant.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Essentially, if you’re used to OG stiff camber from the 90s and looking for something that rides the same this is not the board.
Thanks for your input. The reason I went to a looser, more rocker board was believe it or not I was having trouble controlling my stiff camber boards getting off the lift. After doing a fly swatter and bruising my rib I was pretty certain I didn't all of a sudden forget how to get off a lift and that a change of equipment might do the trick. I was right.

For over two decades I got off the lift of my hard boot boards. It was never loosey goosey easy but I never had big issues. Then I switched back to soft boots and got two stiff, camber boards. A Nitro (forget which one) and a Burton X. That's when I started havin trouble. Especially on that big, heavy Nitro.

I see the young guys on Rocker boards get off the lift so easily movin that small board under their feet. Now that's how I get off the lift. With my new smaller boards with some rocker I easily get off the lift and go where I want, how I want. I was so relieved to find out it was my equipment more than my lack of skill. I can now move that board under my feet at will when getting off the lift. So...I'm hesitant to go back to a stiff, full camber board.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ive heard some people say that the stiff cRc boards like yours gives a pogo effect caused by the rocker in the middle it will kick up one of the camber zones and cause that bouncing, not too sure though. Also you dont need a stiff full camber board, technology has moved forward a lot. K2 has a couple of boards like the simple pleasures or korua has some great mid flexing carving board, also most new camber boards are early rise so much more playful than old school camber at low speeds

·
Registered
428 Posts
Are the boards smaller or are they too small? You might be over flexing them. Also, C3 handles much more like camber than rocker. What you’re likely experiencing is not the slight reverse camber between the feet but the early rise at the contact points allowing you to move the board around while onefooting off a lift with more ease than a full cambered board. I know that’s a run on sentence.... turkey + whiskey.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried a camrock (RCR) board? Camber in the middle and rocker at the tips.

Rides like a camber but more forgiving. Doesn't require change of technique
No I haven't but thanx for the info. I miss the old days when it was super easy and cheap to demo stuff. There were ski shops all over town (not talkin up at the mountain). Demo Ski's were pretty much the same cost of rentals. I always found my next skii's after using demo's. The local mountain does have demo's for $35 a day ($11 more than a rental) so not bad but Mammoth charges $60 - $80 a day for a demo. If I find that board as a demo I'll try it.

A guy I knew once spent $800 on a board he hadn't tried. He barely rode it, didn't like it and was offering it to me for $250 (I didn't like it either). If I knew my Anti Gravity would do what it's doin I probably would have tried another board. So...it's risky to buy a board you haven't tried. I'll end up sticking with what I have for a few years. The issue only happens a small % of my riding.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
The issue I have is when going fast, edge to edge straight down and opening to heel side just a bit to check my speed the board starts bouncing or bumping a bit. Chug, chug, chug (can't figure out how to explain better). As soon as I reduce the angle it stops. I've reached out to Mervin Boards but getting a call back never happened. Asked the folks at EVO and he did his best to guess but had never heard of this.

Anybody with a Magnetraction board ever experienced this? Any ideas on what is causing it? How to make it not happen given that I have to open the board to slow myself?

Thanks!!
Disclaimer: I've had a couple of c2btx and demoed JL 20th Ann Pheniox c3 for a day. and thought it was meh...I perfer c2 for hotrodding around and straight up camber for blasting...and c3 split hairs between the two and did not out perform the c2 or camber...thus not a fan of c3.

A couple of ideas about the pogo chug chug:

I would suspect its a combination between the c3, flex and mag...but perhaps mostly mag...so

It could be soft boots vs hard boots, in that you might feel the chug in softies vs hardboots will overpower the chug and thus not be effected by it.

It could be as you are zooming, presuming the snow/groomed is flat and smooth...but your board is not, it has the c3 wave. Thus it becomes like water skiing/boarding that you are skipping on the waves (abit of choppy water)...so you are hitting the tops of the wave but then ocassionally you hit a trough of the wave and it grabs...thus giving you the feeling of chug.

It could be also the mag gets grabby because the serrated edge digs in and turns the ice to pow...but the pow fills in the seration and bogs down, it releases/cleans out the bog and then fills up again. Mind you that this happens in micro seconds.

Anyway a couple of thoughts. Btw somewhat recollect this happening on a full cambered mag GNU back around early 2000's which at the time figured it was just hitting hard and soft patches of snow. Also this happens a bit on C2 when riding/pressuring the full length of the board...and doesn't happen when just riding the front or back half of the c2. To which leads to the thought that it might be the mag and not so much the c3. And another note of comparison with my old c2btx billygoat, which only had 1/2 mag...I don't remember it having the chug....so maybe its the mag. Cause I don't have this feeling with my full cambered non mag boards...unless hitting warm soft/slush patches.

armchair 2 cents.

edit....re-read your first post...more edge angle you get the chug and then you flatten it out and the chug disappears....to which I'd suspect its an artifact of the mag! Ime, mag does slow you down compared to non-mag.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disclaimer: I've had a couple of c2btx and demoed JL 20th Ann Pheniox c3 for a day. and thought it was meh...I perfer c2 for hotrodding around and straight up camber for blasting...and c3 split hairs between the two and did not out perform the c2 or camber...thus not a fan of c3.
Hmm, I thought C3 is their most aggresive board with the most camber?
I would suspect its a combination between the c3, flex and mag...but perhaps mostly mag...so
I agree
It could be soft boots vs hard boots, in that you might feel the chug in softies vs hardboots will overpower the chug and thus not be effected by it.
Nope, been boarding a full camber boards with soft boots for two years, never felt the bouncing.
It could be also the mag gets grabby because the serrated edge digs in and turns the ice to pow...but the pow fills in the seration and bogs down, it releases/cleans out the bog and then fills up again.
Yeah, I'm thinkin it's the magnetraction as well
Anyway a couple of thoughts. Btw somewhat recollect this happening on a full cambered mag GNU back around early 2000's
Good to know
edit....re-read your first post...more edge angle you get the chug and then you flatten it out and the chug disappears....to which I'd suspect its an artifact of the mag! Ime, mag does slow you down compared to non-mag.
yeah, seems like it. I'll see what happens this season and how much it bugs me. I could always get a board without Magnetratction and use the Antigravity for hard pack, granular, icey days.

Thanks for your thoughtful answer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Now I'm clear on Flex rating being different than Mervins "C" ratings which apparently are the ratio of Camber vs. Rocker. I'm still not clear on why my board a C3 (most aggressive and most camber) would have a lower Flex rating than a Lib Tech Cold Brew which is a C2 (more rocker) with a Flex of 6.5 while the flex on my C3 board is a 5. I guess they are just completely independent but to me camber, stiffness and aggressive are synonymous and you'd think would be stiffer than a less aggressive more rocker board. Who knows. I really have little interest in all this technical stuff. If I could demo a ton of boards (without paying a fortune) over the course of a few days, I'd barely want to know much, just that I like what I'm riding.

Rocker Type: C3 Technology – Aggressive dominant cambers out to the contacts combined with mild rocker between your feet. Subtle Banana rocker gives freestyle freedom with maximum end to end stability for big, high-speed lines. For aggressive, skilled riders.

View attachment 151305

Attachments

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Now I'm clear on Flex rating being different than Mervins "C" ratings which apparently are the ratio of Camber vs. Rocker. I'm still not clear on why my board a C3 (most aggressive and most camber) would have a lower Flex rating than a Lib Tech Cold Brew which is a C2 (more rocker) with a Flex of 6.5 while the flex on my C3 board is a 5. I guess they are just completely independent but to me camber, stiffness and aggressive are synonymous and you'd think would be stiffer than a less aggressive more rocker board. Who knows. I really have little interest in all this technical stuff. If I could demo a ton of boards (without paying a fortune) over the course of a few days, I'd barely want to know much, just that I like what I'm riding.

View attachment 151305

View attachment 151307

View attachment 151306
Camber is shape, or the "C" in Mervin, literally only talking about where the curves in the board are. Has zero to do with stiffness or aggression or the like.

Stiffness is how hard it is to bend the board. This is changed by fiberglass patterns and material in the core. I can make a full rocker board that you couldn't flex with every muscle in your body and a full camber board that is softer than a cooked spaghetti noodle.

You want a flexy rail board that can still hold an edge you'd get a soft camber board since parks are hardpack and ice but you want to be able to lock on to rails and butter which are flex related.

Each part plays a completely independent role in creating how aggressive or relaxed a board rides. It's like in photography using shutterspeed, aperture etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Camber is shape, or the "C" in Mervin, literally only talking about where the curves in the board are. Has zero to do with stiffness or aggression or the like.
Thanks for the input. Like I said never been much into tech, you clearly are and for sure know more than me. That said, Mervin is calling there C3 Aggressive whereas they do not apply that term to C2 or C1. Check out the images I posted. I always equated more camber with more aggressive, especially since most camber boards are stiffer but...here it's not me but Mervin that disagrees with you. Especially since some C3 boards are softer than some C2. Who knows it's just a semantics thing probably. All I know is this is my first hybrid board and I like it a lot except including at high speed just not when trying to slow myself at high speed.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well you can always slow yourself with a carve, without overflexing the board, which means that you are pushing the side of the board so hard by sliding/speedchecking that the contact points let go, and bounce back. A bigger size, stiffer board, different profile, different sidecut can all make it behave differently. Your weight and speed is part of the equation, but you could just learn the limits of your board and not worry about all the technical stuff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree that the chugging probably comes from the mag or the C3 moving the contact points. I dislike having rocker between my feet for riding the way you describe, and would rather have camber underfoot in those situations. I also generally dislike mag- I find it slower, catchy and unpredictable. CamRocker, or camber underfoot with rocker at the tip and tail, gets rid of the problem you had getting off the lift, and it feels more like old school camber.

The marketing around all of this is pretty confusing. Mervin has aggressive marketing too. Lib and Gnu are very effective at getting you thinking you need C3 or mag. When mag came out, every company felt they needed to talk about sidecut technology.

As far as technique goes... Casey just did a tutorial on the Hockey Stop on youtube that might help. Ryan Kapton has one on Slasher Bombs. It'll probably help with the chugging, and it's such a fun maneuver to practice too.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Thanks for the input. Like I said never been much into tech, you clearly are and for sure know more than me. That said, Mervin is calling there C3 Aggressive whereas they do not apply that term to C2 or C1. Check out the images I posted. I always equated more camber with more aggressive, especially since most camber boards are stiffer but...here it's not me but Mervin that disagrees with you. Especially since some C3 boards are softer than some C2. Who knows it's just a semantics thing probably. All I know is this is my first hybrid board and I like it a lot except including at high speed just not when trying to slow myself at high speed.
They happen to only use their C3 camber on what they deem aggressive boards, don't get confused. You can put it on a very relaxed ride if you design the board as such, they just don't.

Like I said a board is a combination of multiple parts. It's not very techy just understand this:

Camber refers to tip to tail shape.

Flex refers to how easily it is to bend

Different combinations of these and other factors determine how aggressive a board rides but neither on their own are the sole factor and they are VERY different n meaning

·
Registered
924 Posts
C3 or magnetraction is besides the point, you can get this with any board, just have to ride it within it's limits or get a board that suits what you are trying to do. Aggressive is such an overused term in snowboarding now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn’t call the Anti Gravity an aggressive board...
I agree.

Not sure what Mervin is actually trying to say with that but I never took it that they are claiming aggresive relative to all boards, just theirs. I'm far from someone that knows a lot about boards but even I knew I was in the "hybrid realm" a board with rocker. So I took it to be a relative term. Relative to the hybrid boards they sell it is the most aggressive. I was stepping down to a less aggressive board, one with rocker that would be more loosey goosey than what I had. But I didn't want to jump all the way down the spectrum so that description helped me choose which to buy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts