Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I'm on a budget and have been researching this board for a while now. I was going to buy the 2014 model but I found a brand new 2012 for $260. Does anyone know any major differences between the two? I can't seem to pick up on any, and I'm so close to buying the 2012.

The stuff I was riding on were mostly groomers which kind of went all slushy as the day went on. some ice and hardpack on some of the more steeper runs, but that's about it. Little to no powder. It was a crappy season, but I will be riding at the same place next year.

The other option is the Rome Tour 2013, but it's 153 and people have told me i would fit a 156. If I am able to ride a 153 Ill probably go with the Rome.

Height - 170-180cm
Weight - 70-75kgs
Shoe Size - I fit a 9.5 US but can sometimes wear a 10 US.

·
Registered
767 Posts
no differences that i know of to the carbon credit, with the btx rocker its a easy quick turning board so i would op for the bigger size (156) it wont hold you back, and let you rip a little harder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no differences that i know of to the carbon credit, with the btx rocker its a easy quick turning board so i would op for the bigger size (156) it wont hold you back, and let you rip a little harder.
Thanks heaps. If all goes well I should be getting it in the next couple of days.

Also, would Burton Freestyle bindings be a good choice for this board?

·
Registered
288 Posts
My first setup, and current rock board is a 2010 carbon credit and burton mission bindings.

It's well constructed, and stood up well over the years.

But,

It's strengths aren't so much on icy groomers. The btx leaves it feeling sketchy on edge.

I'd sooner opt for something with a bit of reg camber, or combination thereof.

The btx does well well in pow, and loves to float up to the surface.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first setup, and current rock board is a 2010 carbon credit and burton mission bindings.

It's well constructed, and stood up well over the years.

But,

It's strengths aren't so much on icy groomers. The btx leaves it feeling sketchy on edge.

I'd sooner opt for something with a bit of reg camber, or combination thereof.

The btx does well well in pow, and loves to float up to the surface.
Hmm. I heard that the magnetraction holds the icy edge quite well?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTX is the banana (reverse camber) profile.

MTX is magna traction.
Right. So what is the point of this board having MTX when the BTX just makes it feel sketchy on edge? Isn't that what magne-traction is supposed to fix? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though the MTX and the BTX clash with each other.

·
Registered
288 Posts
People would ask how I liked the magnatraction.

"Fine I guess"

I didn't have anything to compare it to then.

But since day one on my DOA it felt locked in.

The BTX makes it feel loose at speed as the tips are trying to lift up. You get a sort of speed wobble.

Magnatraction gives you a serrated edge, but I can't say that I miss it or even notice it's gone.

Also, it isn't terribly icy where I live, and maybe that's where you'd notice it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
in my experience boards with rocker between the feet are looser when flat based and carve well when on edge, the transition is kind of on or off but the transition is quick. boards that have a flat section between the feet feel stable when flat based but have a slow and weak transition to getting on an edge. i prefer the loose ride of rockered boards. flat boards feel a little dead to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People would ask how I liked the magnatraction.

"Fine I guess"

I didn't have anything to compare it to then.

But since day one on my DOA it felt locked in.

The BTX makes it feel loose at speed as the tips are trying to lift up. You get a sort of speed wobble.

Magnatraction gives you a serrated edge, but I can't say that I miss it or even notice it's gone.

Also, it isn't terribly icy where I live, and maybe that's where you'd notice it.
I see what you mean. I think I may just pony up the extra $100 bucks for the Rome Tour, with its No Hang Ups Rocker. It sounds pretty sweet to me. Anybody got any thoughts on it?

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Right. So what is the point of this board having MTX when the BTX just makes it feel sketchy on edge? Isn't that what magne-traction is supposed to fix? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though the MTX and the BTX clash with each other.
No, they do not clash. In fact, they complement each other. What rocker does is it concentrates the pressure on the board (or edge) between the bindings and there is little (or no) pressure around at the contact points at the ends of the effective edge - that is what makes rocker boards so catch free, but also means that it is not as easy to get them to 'bite' (that is why some people find them unstable at speed without practice, etc.). Magnetraction somewhat alleviates that issue by providing additional contact points between the bindings, so that it is easier to engage the edge.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Negative, they compliment each other if anything. If a BTX board did not have MTX it would be even more loose at speed on hardpack.

Here's what the BTX profile looks like unweighted...

Here what MTX looks like...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Negative, they compliment each other if anything. If a BTX board did not have MTX it would be even more loose at speed on hardpack.

Here's what the BTX profile looks like unweighted...

Here what MTX looks like...
Ahh, I see now. Thanks for that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts