Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, someone tell me why everyone and their dog is riding with one of these things strapped to their heads or a broken ski pole. Honestly you are inbounds on a groomer, WHAT do you need to film and rewatch? I ripped through the trees at Sunshine and some guy who was coasting yelled at me "You ruined my shot"....really?

I just dont understand the draw of these at all. I get it if you are hitting urban features and doing something sweet, or if you are on a heli/cat and riding some steep and deep.

What am I missing? For the price of these things ($300) what is the benefit? Do you analyze your riding/does it help you improve? I am not trying to hate, just trying to understand why they are so popular....:huh:

·
Registered
148 Posts
to remember the fun stuff you did when it gets to the point you can't remember, lol.. why not?? why's it matter? :dunno:

i have one and use it for the pictures it takes too

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well, my husband and I are the people wearing those "stupid" things. However, my husband is taping me so I can see how I am progressing. He taped my whole learning process from my first time up on a snowboard to my going down my first diamond and made a video for me. And I still do watch it remembering how many times I fell while learning to how I finally caught on and how much fun I am having.

We also tape our runs when we visit resorts so we can remember in 10-20 years when we may be too old to do this - what fun we had and what we did. May not be worth if for the regular snowboarding, but at our age it is priceless to have this on tape!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use mine for bmx and mountain biking (stuff I'm actually alright at) and it's just a plus for me to have it for snowboarding. Never used it for snowboarding but I will sometime...:giggle:

·
Registered
189 Posts
some guy who was coasting yelled at me "You ruined my shot"....really?......
He's just out of his mind believing the whole mountain was his. But watching yourself ride in a video captured by someone trailing behind you does help you analyse problems you might be having.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That guy's attitude was way off, but I don't think there's anything wrong with thise things in general. Heck, when I'm old and have money, I may even get one. They'll be filming onto VR 3D hologram format by then :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I like it for nice pow days on the east coast since they are few and far between. And even then only when I'm dropping some nice cliffs or sweet tree runs. Maybe a first tracks run on a groomer after a foot or more, but never on trails other than that and the occasional riding correction video.

·
Super Troll
123 Posts
Well, people who only go down the mountain with their friend should not be expecting alot of youtube views.

Unless you fall down a mountain, then that's worth having a go pro.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have one, and its just a fun toy. Its a camera that takes GREAT video. i had one last season and got the hero 3 for this season, the 3hundo isn't breaking my bank. my girl and i usually make a video of the season, and not everyday is a pow day for us but the video is still fun. we use it of most of our activities, biking, water stuff, go karts you name it.. chances are the people riding the groomers are using it for more than snowboarding.. thats the point of the go pro versatility..

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got a gopro to record some drum stuff, timelapses, etc. (I'm a photography guy), and I bring it when I go snowboarding but I don't record myself at all. I'm a gaper so to speak :laugh: I take pictures with my gopro on the charlift ride up. If you turn around, there are some suuper nice views, even on small mountains with 700 feet of vertical drop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That would actually be totally awesome and doable with current technology too, I think. It would just be expensive as hell :laugh:
You'll see it in about 3 years, but it won't be allowed in resorts. How much do you think I should charge for it and should I make it for the iPhone or android?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love riding with mine, they're fun to watch and help me improve. I also enjoy editing videos. Why is everyone so bothered by this? I don't see how it adversely affects their time on the hill..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts