Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.goskinc.com/goldcard/:dizzy:

^anybody have this or know if its even worth it. I'm a Georgia, buckhead resident and i am not looking to travel to NH or upstate WV just for a weekend.
or if anybody knows of like a night pass thats cheaper. in PA, Roundtop there was a night pass deal that was great, anyways love to board so if anyone can help me that would be awesome!:yahoo:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
$800. I would do the math of lift ticket prices times the realistic amount of days you will ride. I ride Beech and Cataloochee, but I ride cat every week because its super close(2hr 45mins from Atl). I get the mid week pass at cataloochee for $299 because it ends up saving me money. And I take a few couple day trips to Beech.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It fits my schedule best. My off days are in the middle of the week so that's when I get to ride the most. If you go to cataloochee.com and go to trip planning then to season passes, you will find all the options and restrictions. The epic pass is good for almost all the NC ski resorts but would be a waste of money if you didn't go enough to balance out the cost. Have you skied any of the NC resorts yet?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've boarded cat, and beech last yr. this yr now that a buddy from work is more local i'm hoping me and him can hit the slopes like every weekend,

:laugh: i tried getting local henry county friends to learn to ride but everyone chickened out and only two came out of 15 the two that came one just snow tubbed and gave up (snowboarding) after a hard fall...the other fell the whole time all the way down but kept trying but eventually said it wasn't his thing:laugh:..

but im hoping i can make friends on here that wanna go on the weekends and what not

but as far as your question goes just two!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
That's awesome! There are quite a few people in our area that are die hard snowboarders. I've had friends do the exact same thing. LOL Some people just can't handle smacking the ice or snow over and over and give up.

You are in the Buckhead area? Do you go to the bars around there?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm technically still new to the area (buckhead) but i'm mostly at piedmont park and that area im more of a food person than a beer drinker but i do go to sweetwater:thumbsup: quite often on fridays for the cheap and awesome beer!!!!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
beech i've dealt with the most and has been good both times beech usually has
Cat is the closest mountain to me so I go there every week but beech is bigger and has a better park. Sugar has too many skiers for my liking and I just don't like the vibe. Wolf is ok but it's in a dry county.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Do yourself a favor... unless you have a serious jonesing and only have time for a day trip, drive the extra 4 hours to Snowshoe (or however you spell it).

If you have the spare $300-$400 for airfare, I would seriously consider flying to Denver or the $500+ for Wyoming or Montana. There is an Atlanta ski/snowboard meetup group on meetup.com that you might want to consider skimming for folks to go with.

I lived in the Atlanta area (midtown, Roswell, Smyrna, Norcross) when I started snowboarding and never visited Cataloochee until my first trip last year.

Snowboarding there is largely an exercise in frustration and futility. You can get a semi-decent deal during the week, but you are getting what you pay for... a maximum of ~2 minutes worth of riding from the top to the bottom of the lift.

It is no coincidence that I have met people from Atlanta on every single snow trip out west that I have been on. The only silver lining for us (compared to those poor bastards in Florida or Louisiana) is that we have a very large airport with direct flights to most airports in the country.

Look at it this way.. you can spend 4 hours in the car to get to Cat or 4 hours in the plane to get to real snow and real mountains.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Do yourself a favor... unless you have a serious jonesing and only have time for a day trip, drive the extra 4 hours to Snowshoe (or however you spell it).

If you have the spare $300-$400 for airfare, I would seriously consider flying to Denver or the $500+ for Wyoming or Montana. There is an Atlanta ski/snowboard meetup group on meetup.com that you might want to consider skimming for folks to go with.

I lived in the Atlanta area (midtown, Roswell, Smyrna, Norcross) when I started snowboarding and never visited Cataloochee until my first trip last year.

Snowboarding there is largely an exercise in frustration and futility. You can get a semi-decent deal during the week, but you are getting what you pay for... a maximum of ~2 minutes worth of riding from the top to the bottom of the lift.

It is no coincidence that I have met people from Atlanta on every single snow trip out west that I have been on. The only silver lining for us (compared to those poor bastards in Florida or Louisiana) is that we have a very large airport with direct flights to most airports in the country.

Look at it this way.. you can spend 4 hours in the car to get to Cat or 4 hours in the plane to get to real snow and real mountains.
Cat is 2h 45min from Atlanta. It's cheap and close. But I can't argue with going west. I go to Colorado in January and again in March.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a gold pass, should be picking it up November 1st. I live right in Boone as a student so I'm surrounded by 3 resorts, will also hit the 3 resorts around the Western Carolina area. Looking to shred everyday and Cataloochee announced they will open up by November 1st, if not earlier, hoping to ride out there next Saturday the 2nd if someone wants to join me.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have a gold pass, should be picking it up November 1st. I live right in Boone as a student so I'm surrounded by 3 resorts, will also hit the 3 resorts around the Western Carolina area. Looking to shred everyday and Cataloochee announced they will open up by November 1st, if not earlier, hoping to ride out there next Saturday the 2nd if someone wants to join me.
If they can get more then just the easy way run open, I'll be down. Or a few park features would make me happy too. If you decide to go PM me and we can try to meet up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts