Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The short version: can anyone recommend good beginner mountains near NYC?

The long version: I'm switching to snowboarding after having been an intermediate level skier when I was in college 20 years ago (ugh I'm old) and then I didn't ski at all for over 10 years. I learned to ski mainly at Whiteface while I was in college, and did very little skiing near NYC. I went skiing a few times last year and I did fine but I wanted to switch to boarding.

So yesterday was my first full day on the board, at Okemo. I started linking heel and toe turns with no falls after an hour or so on the bunny slope so I thought I was ready for the lift + beginner trails (sunset strip to mountain road). Unfortunately I fell all over the place and worried I would break my tailbone, knees or wrists on the ice.

My main problem is that my turns aren't very tight (or confident), and the trail was somewhat thin, and had a decent amount of icy spots that I just couldn't handle. I usually know what I'm doing wrong or right - I just need more practice.

I spent the rest of the day on lower mountain road and handled that fine. I still fell here and there but generally I was in good shape.

I want to get back out ASAP but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. As an intermediate skier, I do know that biting off more than you can chew can often lead to a great learning experience - you can't learn to ski a blue square on a green circle. But I'm in no mood for an injury and I'm not trying for the Olympics so I have no problem taking it very slow.

Sidenote, not sure if it matters but I'm not interested in terrain parks right now - I like carving and being 100% in control of myself and my board

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Beginner: Mt. Peter. On weekends & Holidays, free lessons with lift tickets.

After that, then you can graduate to Creek, Camelback & the Catskills

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Take a lesson.

Also there's now that indoor place in jersey that might not be bad between mountain visits to keep things fresh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Will probably try Mount Peter, looks close, small and affordable which is all I need for now. Forgot to mention I took a lesson last season, just need lots of practice

·
Registered
865 Posts
When I first started (about 15 years ago), I bought I think a 10 lesson package at Creek. Only used about 5 of it

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
When I first started (about 15 years ago), I bought I think a 10 lesson package at Creek. Only used about 5 of it

I don't get the point of your post here. Are you saying you didn't need more than 5 or that you outgrew the terrain there with respect to lessons.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I don't get the point of your post here. Are you saying you didn't need more than 5 or that you outgrew the terrain there with respect to lessons.
It took 5 lessons and lots of falling in between to get things to click.

Out west, my ski club is a big advocate for the Mammoth Ski-ride-race camp, which is 5 days of lessons in small groups geared to your level and what you want to achieve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts