Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi could you please recommend me a board that has some flex and pop so I can play on the piste mainly butters and some not so big jumps. But also the board to be able to float nice on powder. I know I wont get the most of the both and I am not looking for a powder machine or really flexible board. I am looking for something that will work for the two types of riding. I am thinking banana or pickle will do it but it's just an opinion from an inexperienced boarder. So I am 175 cm 66 kg.

Could you recommend me specific models.
or What geometry should I look for
and What flex should I look for.

Thanks!

Also I prefer the board to have magnetraction and to be asymetric but not mandatory. My budged is around 400-500$

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
misleading thread title is misleading

sounds like you want a pow noodle, not a freeride board

box scratcher, park pickle maybe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont quite understand I dont know what is pow noodle. But I want a board that's good for freeride and buttering don't know what's misleading.

Well thanks for the recommendations.

The Nitro uberspoon looks great.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
i wouldn't ride a soft board in pow if i had the choice, fwiw. mid flex is fine but you need enough oomf to push snow.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
What about your riding experience makes you want asym and magne? If you're looking for this to play around and ride powder then you don't remotely need either...

Look for: last years Salomon Grip, Salomon Villain, Nitro UberSpoon, Burton Process FV, Signal Rocker Light, Rossi Rock'n'Rolla, Yes Jackpot, Capita Indoor FK, Signal OG Flat, if you can find a 2013 Forum Scallywag, Nitro Pyro, or a Rome Shank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have much expirience with snowboarding but I am an ex skier so I've learned fast. I've snowboarded last season actively and I don't have any problems with most of the freeride terrains and we don't even talk about piste. This season I plan to ride 4-5 times a week. Pow or butters? Well last years we don't see much pow in my country but there are times when there is and in that times powder! But at the rest of the time mainly piste/butters and freeride on what used to be pow.

So thanks for the advices I will check them I have one question what do you think about this board: Gnu Carbon Credit BTX Snowboard Combined Camber 2013 All Mountain Freestyle but it's 150cm and I am 66kg 175cm don't know if it isn't too small.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can pretty much butter on any rocker board. It takes a bit more work to butter stiffer ones but still doable. For Pow a soft board is usually not idea so you want something mid-stiff flex. I say go with medium flex since it's just better suited for everything.

I am 168cm 75lbs and I ride a 150cm GNU park pickle. Due to my weight 150cm is in fact a bit too short for me, and I can feel the problem when I get on large jumps and go fast down a steep drop or ride in powder. A 153cm would suit me better.

You're a bit taller but quite a lot lighter than I am. So our board choice should be similar. I think you need at least a 153cm, 150cm will be good for your butters but won't be as fun in powder.

EDIT: asym is perfectly fine for buttering. asymmetric twin boards (e.g. park pickle) have different side cuts on the heel/toe edge, which helps with turn initiation on the heel side. The tech's great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks that was very constructive feedback.

I am riding 153cm now and it's perfect so I will stick to it. I've found a good offer for the GNU but I will have to skip it.
I wont be looking for asym.
Magne won't hurt right? I like going high speed sometimes and I think it will help.
And seems mid flex is the choice I rode very stiff board and it was hard doing butters that's why I want something with more flex and pop but mid should do it.
Rocker is good for pow too not only butters?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks that was very constructive feedback.

I am riding 153cm now and it's perfect so I will stick to it. I've found a good offer for the GNU but I will have to skip it.
I wont be looking for asym.
Magne won't hurt right? I like going high speed sometimes and I think it will help.
And seems mid flex is the choice I rode very stiff board and it was hard doing butters that's why I want something with more flex and pop but mid should do it.
Rocker is good for pow too not only butters?
Yes Rocker profiles are good for pow and make it easier to do butter tricks. Magne traction is designed to give a little better control in icy conditions. It helps, but won't solve the problem. In most cases I would think that magne traction is a good additional feature. However I have heard from people who took the level 2 instructor exams (canadian CASI) that magne traction mess up carving a little bit. Since carving isn't my focus I don't seem to notice too big of a difference and can't comment on this.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you want to butter then asym is usually not for you, since a lot of buttering tricks involve riding switch.
You realize this is a nonsensical statement and in fact an appropriately designed asym would make riding switch easier. The OP is referring to new twinish boards w/asym asym core, not an ancient asym directional board. In this case an asym would make heel side turn initiation easier and this is helpful for both switch and regular riding on a twin.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi could you please recommend me a board that has some flex and pop so I can play on the piste mainly butters and some not so big jumps. But also the board to be able to float nice on powder. I know I wont get the most of the both and I am not looking for a powder machine or really flexible board. I am looking for something that will work for the two types of riding. I am thinking banana or pickle will do it but it's just an opinion from an inexperienced boarder. So I am 175 cm 66 kg.

Could you recommend me specific models.
or What geometry should I look for
and What flex should I look for.

Thanks!

Also I prefer the board to have magnetraction and to be asymetric but not mandatory. My budged is around 400-500$
It sounds like your describing a Gnu Rider's Choice to the letter. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
203 Posts
You realize this is a nonsensical statement and in fact an appropriately designed asym would make riding switch easier. The OP is referring to new twinish boards w/asym asym core, not an ancient asym directional board. In this case an asym would make heel side turn initiation easier and this is helpful for both switch and regular riding on a twin.
My bad, for whatever reason I thought Asymmetric = directional, didn't even for a second remember that when referring to snowboards asymmetric usually relates to side cuts :dizzy: I ride a pickle so I agree, asym boards are pretty great for butters... woops :dizzy:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Smokin' MIP that is sweet for buttering and still holds up really well in powder. It's not exactly a noodle, but will still flex like crazy for butters and jibbing when you want it to. I also love buying from those guys as it's a small company that makes everything in the US.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Butters and freeride is when I ride my Proto HDX. It's good for both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts