Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

When I purchased my boots, i got boots with heat moldable liners.
When i told them i want my boots heat molded, they just told me that it takes too long and it's the same as riding your boots for 10 days.

So I ended up buying boots 1 or half a size too big for me because i wanted to be comfortable from day 1.
Granted, after days(more than 10) riding these boots i never experienced heel lift or tight spots.

Next time i'm getting boots, i'm taking my business elsewhere and i'm going to get them properly fitted.

So to my question, are there any good boot fitters in Auckland?

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Where did you buy them from in the first place? SnowCentre in Newmarket are the only store I've really heard anything about in Auckland. Otherwise I've had good experiences at every Torpedo 7 store I've been to, but that's been Queenstown, Wanaka, Christchurch etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you buy them from in the first place? SnowCentre in Newmarket are the only store I've really heard anything about in Auckland. Otherwise I've had good experiences at every Torpedo 7 store I've been to, but that's been Queenstown, Wanaka, Christchurch etc.
T7 Mt Wellington.

Any experience with BoarderTown stores in Auckland when it comes to snowboard boots?
I usually get my skate related stuff there.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
T7 Mt Wellington.

Any experience with BoarderTown stores in Auckland when it comes to snowboard boots?
I usually get my skate related stuff there.
Ah I totally forgot they have more stores haha, their Queenstown store is super solid and their buyer knows his shit, I'd assume the other locations are held to a similar standard. Though if you measure your foot yourself you shouldn't really need a boot fitter unless you have other issues. Buy a boot based on your mondopoint sizing, try on at least 5 different pairs, choose the one that fits best and flex suits your needs, and ask them to heat mold.

T7 Mt Wellington Saying it takes too long to heat mold your boots is a total cop out and terrible customer service. But it is a large sporting goods store not near any mountains... Probably why I can't say anything bad about their South Island locations.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ah I totally forgot they have more stores haha, their Queenstown store is super solid and their buyer knows his shit, I'd assume the other locations are held to a similar standard. Though if you measure your foot yourself you shouldn't really need a boot fitter unless you have other issues. Buy a boot based on your mondopoint sizing, try on at least 5 different pairs, choose the one that fits best and flex suits your needs, and ask them to heat mold.

T7 Mt Wellington Saying it takes too long to heat mold your boots is a total cop out and terrible customer service. But it is a large sporting goods store not near any mountains... Probably why I can't say anything bad about their South Island locations.

Yeah, the heat mold thing totally turned me off.
They said the exact same thing a month later when i bought boots for the wife and i wanted her boots heat molded. :dry:

I want to go to a shop who're actually confident in heat molding boots.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Shouldn't take much to be confident... Put liner on heating device (usually blows hot air like a hair dryer, or a small little oven style thing designed for liners) 10-15 mins to heat them up, get them back in the boots, put your foot in, lace snugly but not overly tight, stand in a snowboarding stance until it cools. Done. If there's a lot of pressure on your toes you can use a thin toe cap, I've often opted without and just had the cut off ends of some old socks over my toes under my snowboarding sock. Similar effect to a lesser degree, helps displace just enough liner material.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i was told at the akld T7 outlet store that mt wgn would heat mould boots for me.
i have bought gear there(mt wgn). i am surprised as i always found them super helpful. never bought boots tho.

snowcentre newmarket seem good too they're happy to spend the time with you, i have bought gear there but not boots. they have a full workshop & they work hard to accommodate you plus they have good knowledge.(although recently seen a guy get fitted for boots basically sitting down). maybe the guy already knew his stuff, dunno the salesperson seemed attentive & patient enough though. i think they have a bootfitter working with them & they are a good bunch.

boardertown in botany, the guys there are super helpful & a couple board also but dunno if they have a heatmold-er. i bought boots there & they never mentioned it, instead recommended wearing them in.(that was just 1 salesperson remember). now i know those boots were too big but noone measured my foot, just asked me what size i thought i was.

my boy had his near new boots heat molded at TCB Ohakune for a cost ($25? or something).
we just rocked in off the street on a down day & they were awesome. they stuck with him & helped him through the entire process. we had bought those online.

im not affiliated to anyone.. id recommend trying snowcentre first.

i have a digital fan oven at home & i heatmold our boots & insoles myself now.(i research temperatures/time etc for the specific liner & stick to the recommendations)

hope you get it sorted but it probably too late now, but next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts