Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going from skiing to snowboarding do k2's make good boots? I know they were the shit for skiing and I have wide feet. Vans look sick and i tried a pair on and they felt really comfy. Idk if they last a long time since all the staff who worked there are biased as fuck towards stuff that costs more. Also my friend said stay away from burton and nike boots because they "suck ass", lol is that true?

·
Registered
5 Posts
my friend has nikes and he says he likes them a lot because there warm, i also have a pair but there a little too small for me, they were really warm though

·
Registered
786 Posts
The staff is biased towards what costs more because it is better than the cheap stuff. More money = better gear.

You need to buy the boots that fit you the best.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Burton, Nike and Thirtytwo boots are my favorite and top notch boots. K2 boots seem to run wide and are well made. I have not had experience with Vans boots so I can't comment on them. If you have wide feet I'd start with 32 and K2 but most important is trying different pairs on to see how they feel.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
You mean fit. What you want is a good fit for sure. Try on as many as you can that are of the style you want to get and see which one fits best.

·
Banned
257 Posts
k2 runs wide? My feet are wider than normal, but not wide enough for a wide boot. am i fine in a nike lunarendor? or should i get a thraxis? maybe a burton SLX.

i wake up and figure out im dreaming and look at my 12-13 k2 maysis.

·
Banned
257 Posts
does nike run true to size in width? i.e. will i be ok in a nike kaiji

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
The staff is biased towards what costs more because it is better than the cheap stuff. More money = better gear.

You need to buy the boots that fit you the best.
Nonsense, there is no correlation that more expensive = better gear.
What it really is: More expensive gear = more sales commission.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Well the "wear what fits" is always going to be the deciding factor, I'll bite to give the OP a starting point.

32 is my first choice(I have wide, flat feet, I also use Remind Medic insoles). If they didn't work so well for me, these would be the next brands I would try because of their years in the industry, no-nonsense tech and consistently good reviews:

k2
Salomon
Burton

I would avoid these brands as they seem to have very little pedigree in the snow industry, seem to be mostly hype, or fail to return good reviews:

Nike
DC
Vans

Some other fine choices: Northwave, Nitro, Ride, Flow

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I have wider foot, I currently have a pair of nitro tls that I really like the fit of and are nice a responsive. Lacing system i'm not so keen on, but comfort was the overriding factor. Try as many different brands as possible. I personally have never found a Burton that fits my foot that well, but I always try their wider models when I go into a shop.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Well the "wear what fits" is always going to be the deciding factor, I'll bite to give the OP a starting point.

32 is my first choice(I have wide, flat feet, I also use Remind Medic insoles). If they didn't work so well for me, these would be the next brands I would try because of their years in the industry, no-nonsense tech and consistently good reviews:

k2
Salomon
Burton

I would avoid these brands as they seem to have very little pedigree in the snow industry, seem to be mostly hype, or fail to return good reviews:

Nike
DC
Vans

Some other fine choices: Northwave, Nitro, Ride, Flow
+1 on the 3 recommended brands.

Salomons tend to run on the narrow side, fyi, but excellent and very comfortable boots.
I stopped wearing them because their speed-lacing system wasn't very speedy if you want to lace them up tightly. I switched to double boa lacing boots instead.

I know that DC doesn't get much love for their boots, but last year I rode their Status (now TRice) boot. Double boa lacing, and stiffest boot in their lineup. I've been quite happy with them after 1 season (about 25 days). I'll see how they hold up this year.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
fwiw I wear both DC and Vans for sk8 shoes and have for YEARS.

fuck Nike.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Burton's are great boots. I just bought my third pair of Burton's after owning Celsius and K2 boots before. I like my Celsius boots but I'm a big fan of the shrinkage tech featured on Burton's. The hate you may see is probably more related to the fact that people dislike Burton because they are the 800lb gorilla in the room. But even BurtonAvenger probably won't bash Burton's boots too much. Nike's I don't hear good things about because they use cheap materials, literally cardboard inserts and that they turn to mush after not much riding. I'd still like to buy a pair personally because I hear they are also insanely comfortable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Burton's are great boots. I just bought my third pair of Burton's after owning Celsius and K2 boots before. I like my Celsius boots but I'm a big fan of the shrinkage tech featured on Burton's. The hate you may see is probably more related to the fact that people dislike Burton because they are the 800lb gorilla in the room. But even BurtonAvenger probably won't bash Burton's boots too much. Nike's I don't hear good things about because they use cheap materials, literally cardboard inserts and that they turn to mush after not much riding. I'd still like to buy a pair personally because I hear they are also insanely comfortable.
Bolded stuff idk what your talking about lol. Yea nikes got the "swag style points" but yea no one has said anything good about them. k2's feel kinda narrow for me, never even tried celsius and none of my friends have a pair so i have no idea, i hear mixed feelings about burton half the time its "yea burton is standard good stuff for anything" and the other half is "burton sucks made in china and break in a couple weeks/days"

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Bolded stuff idk what your talking about lol. Yea nikes got the "swag style points" but yea no one has said anything good about them. k2's feel kinda narrow for me, never even tried celsius and none of my friends have a pair so i have no idea, i hear mixed feelings about burton half the time its "yea burton is standard good stuff for anything" and the other half is "burton sucks made in china and break in a couple weeks/days"
Burton inserts pack out in one year. You want a boot that has heat molded inserts to have a customized fit. Thirty two boots have the best inserts on the market. Salomon boots also are heat molded. I have had bad experiences with burton boots. Adidas has new boots, they look sweet. Find a shop that has options and talk to the employees. Any boot can also fit custom insoles for maximum comfort.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I gambled on a pair of 686/New Balance 580 focus boas. Couldn't be happier. 19 days on em last season. I broke a boa ratchet. Filled out replacement warrant request on boas website and got replacement plus spares at no cost. The boots are very comfortable and true to size. They are a stiff freeride boot and do the job well. My feet are marginally wide and these fit as well as their gym shoes. 32 as I have checked run small for me. Didn't care for the feel of 3 different models I tried. Just my opinion. Hated my last DC and burton boots. YMMV

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I gambled on a pair of 686/New Balance 580 focus boas. Couldn't be happier. 19 days on em last season. I broke a boa ratchet. Filled out replacement warrant request on boas website and got replacement plus spares at no cost. The boots are very comfortable and true to size. They are a stiff freeride boot and do the job well. My feet are marginally wide and these fit as well as their gym shoes. 32 as I have checked run small for me. Didn't care for the feel of 3 different models I tried. Just my opinion. Hated my last DC and burton boots. YMMV
Thirty two boots will always feel terrible in a shop until you heat mold them, then your feet get happy.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Gotta get my feet in em first! I'm not sweating it. Lovin my New Balance. Always have loved their shoes.
New Balance eh? Didn't even know they made boots. Been scopin those new Adidas Blauvelt boots. Sick.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts