Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

281 - 300 of 336 Posts

·
493 Posts
Unless the pow board is cheap enough to justify it.... Aka the story of how I got my niche ember lol. The niche maelstrom for next year looks uhhhhmaaaazzzzing. I may end up grabbing one if they go on sale like they did this year.

I too have to move a few boards this winter lol.
It does look very nice, great top sheet for 21, would be interesting to see how different it would be to the Yup, similar directional camber profile, only slightly longer effective edge but does sound stiffer, in the brochure it's rated 8/10 so assume this makes it a harder charging board and better carve, probably stiffer torsionally than the Yup. The Angry review has flex just above middle of the road 8/10 sounds a bit more.Very nice, i think you should get one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It does look very nice, great top sheet for 21, would be interesting to see how different it would be to the Yup, similar directional camber profile, only slightly longer effective edge but does sound stiffer, in the brochure it's rated 8/10 so assume this makes it a harder charging board and better carve, probably stiffer torsionally than the Yup. The Angry review has flex just above middle of the road 8/10 sounds a bit more.Very nice, i think you should get one.
The Maelstrom was my primary board this past year. It's freaking rad, and yes, definitely pretty stiff. It soaks up the bumps excellently, and holds a great edge. It also looks amazing. I will say that when I had it out in 2+ feet of pow, it didn't hold up to my 220+ lbs (I'm riding the 163). That prompted me to buy a powder specific board. Now that I got my unicorn Amplid Surfari (actually, PB's used one, by some miracle...those guys at Amplid are so great), I'm selling the others I bought because I just won't get enough use to justify it to my wife and my thrifty conscience. So likewise, I'll continue to gear lust after stuff (I really want a Yup or re-buy a Capita Mercury), but am done buying gear this year, except for possibly trying to change out my Union Progress FC for some Jones Mercury's or Now Drives. Now I just have to hope someone will buy my other boards next preseason...

·
493 Posts
The Maelstrom was my primary board this past year. It's freaking rad, and yes, definitely pretty stiff. It soaks up the bumps excellently, and holds a great edge. It also looks amazing. I will say that when I had it out in 2+ feet of pow, it didn't hold up to my 220+ lbs (I'm riding the 163). That prompted me to buy a powder specific board. Now that I got my unicorn Amplid Surfari (actually, PB's used one, by some miracle...those guys at Amplid are so great), I'm selling the others I bought because I just won't get enough use to justify it to my wife and my thrifty conscience. So likewise, I'll continue to gear lust after stuff (I really want a Yup or re-buy a Capita Mercury), but am done buying gear this year, except for possibly trying to change out my Union Progress FC for some Jones Mercury's or Now Drives. Now I just have to hope someone will buy my other boards next preseason...
Last night I couldn't sleep so I watched the Arthur Longo SHE - Side Hits Euphoria series in bed....I was so hyped after watching it I didn't fall asleep untill around 1am. They're awesome clips.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
This feedback is all pretty awesome!

A harder charging yup sounds really cool! I would have considered one this year but I really don't like the graphic. Next year's is amazing. I've lost a bunch of weight so the yup might end up way stiffer for me.

I'd probably have to sell something else to get it but let's see how the year goes. 3 of my boards are potentially on the chopping block so...

Still debating ordering cartels or malas 😂😂😂. I'll probably end up doing it soon ish. I should at least break even on the unions I got.

On the note of unions... Has anyone ridden STRs? I have a set and was semi debating keeping them as a spare set or to use on a park board.

Also, for the ember... Malas vs something like the k2 lien?

·
Registered
959 Posts
@ridethecliche Yup, cant complain about a $450 road bike! I have never been one for measuring watts and stuff, in fact my brother had to buy me a garmin in order to get me to start collecting any data at all! I do like it, its nice to know my MPH and ft climbed, but I haven't set up my power meter or my sensors yet. I'm sure I'll get curious and set them up eventually.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
@ridethecliche Yup, cant complain about a $450 road bike! I have never been one for measuring watts and stuff, in fact my brother had to buy me a garmin in order to get me to start collecting any data at all! I do like it, its nice to know my MPH and ft climbed, but I haven't set up my power meter or my sensors yet. I'm sure I'll get curious and set them up eventually.
Hard for me not to with how inexpensive left side PMs are and what a deal I got on mine. I also used to use one years ago so it's fun to think about how much I suck now compared to then.

I honestly like seeing progress, but also a better estimate of calories burned so I can make sure to eat enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seeing a lot of good deals out there... Two interesting ones..

You have the Gentemsticks that are hard to find let alone on sale:
Mantaray
Drifter
Also there is durpaz, the board that interests me because I can find so little about...But the little you hear is that it is very unique and some said it resembles surfing more then anything else...
https://www.alternative113.com/

Note: the plus signs indicate how stiff the board is because Durpaz only does one shape and you just pick the size or stiffness. Also they recommend going big

·
493 Posts
Those in Oz - Rhythm have got some cracking deals this weekend by the looks. Need to click on the item to see the discounted price but if you can size to a 150 Endeavour Archetype you could get it for under $500 AUD, some real good deals on 2021 decks also, Jones MTN Twin 2021 $680 AUD

KNWN Sniper looks interesting - half price at $500 AUD

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Those in Oz - Rhythm have got some cracking deals this weekend by the looks. Need to click on the item to see the discounted price but if you can size to a 150 Endeavour Archetype you could get it for under $500 AUD, some real good deals on 2021 decks also, Jones MTN Twin 2021 $680 AUD

KNWN Sniper looks interesting - half price at $500 AUD

I like the 2020 top sheet graphics & red channel a lot better than 2021.

·
Registered
68 Posts
@MrDavey2Shoes
Yeah they sell some but rei stopped carrying them here. I love this frame. It has some chain drop damage I didn't notice when I bought it but even though it looks ugly and I can feel it with my nail, I don't think it'll cause any issues given it's Al it isn't at highly stressed points.

I'm sure that I'll have a frame to replace it by the time it would be an issue. I paid 350 or 400 for the bike with 105-5800 on it. Honestly hard to complain...

I just downloaded Golden cheetah. Let the games begin. I want to see if I can break 1400 in a sprint again lol.

Unless the pow board is cheap enough to justify it.... Aka the story of how I got my niche ember lol. The niche maelstrom for next year looks uhhhhmaaaazzzzing. I may end up grabbing one if they go on sale like they did this year.

I too have to move a few boards this winter lol.
Just looked at the brochure and yep, it does look sweet. I have to say Niche probably have the best graphics across their line of boards than any other company I've seen. Most companies have some amazing ones and some terrible ones. Lib Tech/Gnu type graphics I almost universally dislike. I don't even know what that style of art is that Niche utilises but I love it. The 2020 line is really great too.

Unfortunately, they don't make any wide sizes! The 160 Maelstrom is only 256 waist width and I have size 12 US boots so ideally want at least 260 if I'm buying a board that carves well. Also think it's probably a little too similar to the TF (minus the width) so it would have to be a replacement rather than an addition. Also very difficult to find these boards in the UK, it would be a case of coming to the US and buying one there if I did end up biting the bullet at any stage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't even know what that style of art is that Niche utilises but I love it. The 2020 line is really great too.
Their lead designer, Ana Van Pelt draws all of it digitally by hand, with insane amounts of detail. Her instagram has samples. She's amazing.

Also, the 163 and 166 both have big enough WW's. Are those not available to you?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the heads up regarding the designer! Will check out her IG.

They are, but I'm only ~178lb and don't really want a really long unmanoeuvrable board. The ideal length for my weight is probably around 159. I've got a 151 Warpig because it's volume shifted and I wanted a playful board and the TF is a 157 (biggest size they do). Both are wide (262 and 269). I've never actually ridden a board that long, but I imagine a 163 or 166 would not suit my style of riding as well and I would find it a little lethargic to steer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
The maelstrom will have a lot of overlap with my yup as well so there's that.

Yeah their graphics do tend to be pretty nice. I'm actually pretty curious how my boards will ride next season since I'll be 10-15 lbs lighter. I'm especially hoping this means that the yup will offer some more float and the embers less stiff build will be fine for a pow board.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I come into every season wondering the same thing. Then the holiday season hits and I’m back in the suggested weight range on my boards.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I dropped 10 lbs going in to this past season, and I noticed a huge difference. However, I’m not sure if it was specifically due to the weight loss or the gain in muscle from the exercise/weights. Probably both.

Off season training is becoming more important as I get older. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s possible for me to drop any more weight, so exercise maintenance is key to getting the best of my time on the mountain.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
I come into every season wondering the same thing. Then the holiday season hits and I’m back in the suggested weight range on my boards.
I'm planning on riding through the winter. It doesn't really get that cold most of the time. I have a route here that's flat AF and I could probably do the entire thing without going over 30 unless I wanted to. Maybe like... 800 ft vert in 32 miles?

Flatttt!

281 - 300 of 336 Posts