Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

301 - 320 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I stand corrected. No difference in float with 15 lbs wt loss. There was a noticeable difference in physical stamina, edge to edge quickness and carving g force hold.

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
Taking off the extra pounds will make a difference in endurance, even if you don't particularly exercise. Think of it as riding all day with or without a 20-30 lb backpack on your back. There's no way it can't sap your energy. Plus you'll be more flexible without the extra padding, which means fighting your own movement less.

·
493 Posts
I managed to drop close to 55lbs, down from 210lbs to 155lbs over the last 18 months and noticed a huge difference. Was inbetween boards which was good, none of my pants, jackets or other gear fitted. Cost me a fortune to be honest.
I was really unfit with limited range of body movement and even though losing weight helped here, I think it was more down to better cardio and core strength that made riding much easier and way more enjoyable. Really did feel like I was in my 20's again and not 40's. But that did also contribute to some decent falls.
What I found much easier was when I was close to stacking or even during a fall I could recover much easier with more confidence in my core body strength and movement, I wish I could get back a number of those years eating shite and drinking copious amounts of post mix as it does sneak up on you very quickly.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Was able to grab a pair of Burton [ak] Hover 3L Gore-Tex pro pants for $Au275 ($US188) at Auski in Kodiak Camo which I'll match up with my TB Cyclic jacket. These have a current $Au699.99 RRP in Australia. I'll do a review on them in the next few months when I Christen them at Perisher. They are a bit darker than this out of the studio lights. Was a tiny bit worried that they might look a bit sort of retro dorky but they feel pretty damn sweet on. Anyway great price.

10009104001_4_detail.jpg

Also grabbed my daughter an [ak] Burton 2L Gore-Tex Embark in Drydye black for $Au375 ($US257) ($Au 649.99 RRP) from Snowinn.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I managed to drop close to 55lbs, down from 210lbs to 155lbs over the last 18 months and noticed a huge difference. Was inbetween boards which was good, none of my pants, jackets or other gear fitted. Cost me a fortune to be honest.
I was really unfit with limited range of body movement and even though losing weight helped here, I think it was more down to better cardio and core strength that made riding much easier and way more enjoyable. Really did feel like I was in my 20's again and not 40's. But that did also contribute to some decent falls.
What I found much easier was when I was close to stacking or even during a fall I could recover much easier with more confidence in my core body strength and movement, I wish I could get back a number of those years eating shite and drinking copious amounts of post mix as it does sneak up on you very quickly.
How did you achieve this?

·
493 Posts
How did you achieve this?
Wayne Pearce really. I did a leadership session with him through work and it was amazing. I've done a few, but if you ever get a chance to hear him speak do it, he's amazing. Minimal gains was the phrase that stuck with me. Not to change one big thing, but change lots of little things and this will achieve longer terms success that is more likely to be manageable and continued into the future.

I had a bad diet but it wasn't too different from a lot of others, especially up here in Darwin. Soft drink, takeaway, beers, beers, beers, rum, sneaky pies, junk food and the likes. Didn't exercise much either, at all really and ate at the wrong times. I was finding I'd eat meals late at night and then sit in bed and eat a pack of potato chips and watch TV and fall asleep. I have also worked from home for the last 10 years or so, mainly on my ass in front of the computer. Happy to say this changes in a couple of weeks and I'm going back to flying.

The first real sign I reckon was mild sleep apnea. My wife said I would stop breathing at night at times. I was always tired even though I thought I was sleeping well.
I was talked into having sleep apnea testing, it came back as mild and like everything the doctor just said try losing some weight first before we take this any further. I always thought it was just a cliche call for the Dr to get more people through the door. Anyway, one particularaly big Xmas I arrived back in Darwin on New Years Day and was thinking about that Wayne Pearce leadership talk I went to and just said FCK IT!

Booked a personal trainer for 30 minutes and just made a decision then to change my lifestyle. Took out a gym membership. It was a little easier for me because I was pretty lean and fit in my 20's and early 30's with football and working at Sea so I had an idea on where I wanted to get to and how to do it but I need a plan/routine. The personal trainer was the best $50 I spent. Showed me how to use some of the gear in the gym so I didn't kill myself or anyone else. Early on the program was focused more on Cardio and lighter weights/HIIT sort of stuff. Now it's more core and strength with weights with a few cardio sessions here and there. To be honest I started walking on the treadmill and just ramped it up from there. Was probably doing 4-5 days in the gym even if it was just walking on the treadmill listening to the footy.

I dropped all Maccas/HJ's style takeaway, haven't touched it for 18 months, ahven't had a soft drink for 18 months, cutting sugar I reckon has been a big influence, don't snack, eat more seafood and I'm just concious on what I eat. Don't get me wrong I'll still eat a big snitty or burger with a beer when I go to the pub with mates, I'm just more concious not to do as often.

Also just spend more time outside walking and working around the house, riding with the kids and just being active.

I noticed changes with weight loss and wellbeing pretty quickly throughout maybe the first 6 weeks, then 6 months and from there on the changes continued but were not as noticeable so it does become a more mental battle to remain desciplined to continue it.

I still try and do 3 sessions at the gym a week, sounds funny for someone in Darwin but snowboarding is a big part of the motivation when I'm in the gym, I usually kick of the session with This is MGMT's When You Die song as it reminds me off the Rthur Long Side Hits Euphoria clips.

One thing I do swear by, and I've never been a supplements type of guy is Vital all natural Pea Protein powder. I swear by it. Morning breakfast religously a scoop of Vaniolla and a scoop of chocolate protein powder, watermelon, blueberries, almonds, high protein vanilla yoghurt, 2 bananas, 2 shots of coffee and a few ice cubes all blended together - best brekky ever and get's me through to lunch even with a gym session.

I know some people will read this and just say "Well Der", but when you're under 30 and your metabolism lets you do all these things with little consequnce, that's noticeable anyway, for me anyway and I got into a rut and didn't even notice it, one day I was 75kg and it seemed like the next I was 95kg.

I find now my weight doesn't move much, I have a few beers, have a cheat day or maybe two.

This worked for me and my family/work life.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Similar situation with me. 2-3 16oz double ipas a day add up big time. Now it’s one or two regular beers (but never light beer) a few times a week. Healthier snack choices and regular exercise. I was already exercising but stepped it up in frequency and variety (kettle bell, yoga, walking/hiking, calisthenics). Went from 175-160. Makes a big difference on a 5’5” frame. Feel like 40 again.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Nicely done guys! That's awesome and super hard to maintain! Y'all should be proud.

I'm 31 so don't have much to add especially since a lot of mine was likely driven by stress from working in the hospital the last few months.

Then getting back to road cycling has helped a ton.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
I guess I need to start looking for deals again and revisiting entire idea of getting burton bindings and selling my unions.

I've been working on this instead though...

Just a test fit above. Took it back down to the frame to have a framebuilder stretch the dropouts to accommodate current era parts more readily.

And then just finished building this

New groupset and wheels. And then just picked these up after wheeling and dealing and flipping a few things.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Just grabbed this... 🤷🏻‍♂️
How's the fit on that? I might actually look into getting one of their gore-tex jackets through the HCW performer discount. I've been running a battery of random jackets but it'd be nice to get something solid for this year. Should a gore-tex jacket have insulation?

Looking at cyclic vs radial jacket.

How did you size it?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
How's the fit on that? I might actually look into getting one of their gore-tex jackets through the HCW performer discount. I've been running a battery of random jackets but it'd be nice to get something solid for this year. Should a gore-tex jacket have insulation?

How did you size it?
I have XL '20 Helitack, '15 Swash and '20 Cyclic and the fit is great (191cm/93kg). Plenty of length in the arms. My son has a '19 insulated Radial/Swash medium (183cm/70kg) and he has great fit for his size. The new Cyclic has cohaesive hood stoppers, insulated phone pocket, shoulder pass pocket, 2-Way Center zip (Radial has this). If you can afford the slight extra get the Cyclic.

·
Registered
396 Posts

How did you size it?
I just guessed that I’m typically a medium. The insulation question is a personal one. I run hot and prefer to layer. Also lets me wear the jacket on warmer days instead of only being delegated to the super cold ones.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It "shouldn't" have an insulation layer, as that reduces how flexibly you can use the jacket. I would always advise layering with insulating mid layers under the jacket as required. And that is coming from someone who has worn insulated jackets for about 13 years until making the switch to layering with a shell GTX jacket.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It "shouldn't" have an insulation layer, as that reduces how flexibly you can use the jacket. I would always advise layering with insulating mid layers under the jacket as required. And that is coming from someone who has worn insulated jackets for about 13 years until making the switch to layering with a shell GTX jacket.
Personally I love an insulated jacket over a layered shell. It's just heaps more comfortable. You can always vent out if it gets too toasty. The big downside however is you need multiple jackets but the layering adds cost to a shell.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Daughter wanted a black jacket so was able to grab her a '20 [ak] Embark dry dye black $Au375 with tracked delivery ($US258) which just came yesterday from Snowinn (imported from NZ). What a fantastic jacket. ($Au649.99 RRP)

See Burton have now added Lycra wrist gaiters, sleeve lift pass pocket instead of shoulder on mens, Cohaesive hood stoppers, 60grm PrimaLoft® silver, meshed pit zips..

opplanet-burton-embark-jacket-womens-drydye-black-large-10010106002-l-main.jpg

·
493 Posts
I picked up an Oakley Factory Pilot 15k at a DFO sale before Japan this year, love it actually. Thought I'd also buy some gear in Tokyo on the way out but man it's expensive there. Good range but I couldn't find anywhere with prices to match.

301 - 320 of 336 Posts