Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've been looking into getting a board and if i can get some advice i'd really appreciate it!

Experience/Location:

Last year I went boarding about 5-6 times and picked it up fairly well and i can now link turns confidently and hit a few smaller sized kickers. However, for last season i made a big no-no and purchased a board without any experience at all and now regret that so im selling it and just gonna bite the bullet one the loss of money (up on eBay and in good condition, its a dinosaurs will die genovese 151 if anyone wants to buy it.)

Anyways for this upcoming winter i'm going to be buying a a season pass on the east coast to either okemo, stratton or mount snow. With that said im looking for a board that i can grow into, not one that ill want to get rid of after 1 season because i'd imagine i will progress to a decent mid level rider by the end of this season with all the time i plan on putting in.

Size:
5'6" - 145lbs
size 9 boots

Current Equipment:
Burton Moto Boots
Burton Malavita Reflex Bindings (more of a higher level binding , but got them at a very good priced and snagged them)

Riding Style:

I'd have to say that I'm looking for a board that can do it all.
Most of my time will be spent on piste, probably 50% with 25% park as I want to start dabbling in some freestyle (may buy a jib board next summer depending on my progress) and the other 25% would be for pow.
*** dont forget the wonderful east coast ice! :eusa_clap:

As i've looked for hours on end the past two - three weeks i've found that it is very hard to accommodate all these things.

One board that i found that might not be a bad idea was the Yes. Basic but was looking for some opinions on it.

That said I realllllyy like the idea of TBT (ive surfed and go skimboarding very often) so the Bataleon whatever came to mind but i just hate the graphic lol

And lastly magnatraction is also something ive really been looking into as it gets icy over here.
(would the T. rice pro in a 150cm be too much for me? Or something i can grow into well?)

ANY help at all would really be appreciated cause at this point i'm pretty much stumped.
:icon_scratch:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its a flat camber and im not sure if im a fan of that so id like to get some experience trying other boards in order to become a better overall rider and learn what i like the most.
I think i should have picked either a traditional camber or reverse camber as a first board in order to see how the two main board styles ride.

also on the less important side, the top sheet seems a bit fragile IMO and the more i look at the graphic the less i like it.

So all in all id say that its not that i think the board isnt a good one its just that im looking to expand my horizons i guess :giggle:

Unfortunately I really dont know a thing about demo days where i am and since im selling the DWD I will still need a board for next season because im not really interested in renting.

thats why im sort of looking for a do everything board that i can keep for awhile while i build a quiver

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I think i should have picked either a traditional camber or reverse camber as a first board in order to see how the two main board styles ride.
That's like saying you're better off learning to drive on snow tires or slicks, because all-seasons won't work?

RIDE THE DAMN BOARD YOU BOUGHT!

We see this in the sportbike world all the time. Guys start on Supersports and really have no idea how to handle a bike, but are sure they need that kinda bike. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
well its a flat camber and im not sure if im a fan of that so id like to get some experience trying other boards in order to become a better overall rider and learn what i like the most.

also on the less important side, the top sheet seems a bit fragile IMO and the more i look at the graphic the less i like it.

So all in all id say that its not that i think the board isnt a good one its just that im looking to expand my horizons i guess :giggle:

Unfortunately I really dont know a thing about demo days where i am and since im selling the DWD I will still need a board for next season because im not really interested in renting.

thats why im sort of looking for a do everything board that i can keep for awhile while i build a quiver
why? Is it too catchy? Not responsive enough? Not enough pop? How many times have you rode the board? What would you like more of in your board?
Your questions are so vague, I'm pretty sure that you haven't been on it enough to know yet what you're looking for. Maybe look at buying a used board, and ride it hard for a season, then really figure out what you want.

·
Registered
658 Posts
why? Is it too catchy? Not responsive enough? Not enough pop? How many times have you rode the board? What would you like more of in your board?
Your questions are so vague, I'm pretty sure that you haven't been on it enough to know yet what you're looking for. Maybe look at buying a used board, and ride it hard for a season, then really figure out what you want.
Someone who clearly didn't read the OP..

·
Registered
451 Posts
well, i asked why the OP didn't like it, and the OP spewed out some key words that OP may have seen in the wrong context - developing an unwarranted dislike for what i've heard is an ok board... rather than say what OP didn't like about their actual experience with the board.

i guess what we're all wondering is, what's wrong with the damn board?

nothing wrong with wanting to buy a shit load of snowboards, it's a common problem, but don't go making a problem if there isn't one...? just to justify it? right?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont understand why people are so quick to bite on this forum.. i did say theres nothing really wrong with the snowboard. my main reason is that i just want to try something else. ive ridden it about 5 times and have found that it is a pretty good board. i want to try another though and in order to do that itd be a shit ton easier on me if a got $100 - $200 for my old board.

also i did put it up on the easy lounge but no one seemed interested.

i could very well just keep it and ride it this season, something ive considered extensively. all i was asking was some opinions on the boards i mentioned and how they would work for me or any suggestions someone else might have.

ill say it again. i just want to try a new board and getting rid of this one will make it easier on me. however, i used one is a good idea, something i hadnt really considered

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
You're right, dick, I missed the one sentence where he said he rode the board 5-6 times. That merely strengthens the rest of my point. Thanks for catching that. :eusa_clap:

i dont understand why people are so quick to bite on this forum.. i did say theres nothing really wrong with the snowboard. my main reason is that i just want to try something else. ive ridden it about 5 times and have found that it is a pretty good board. i want to try another though and in order to do that itd be a shit ton easier on me if a got $100 - $200 for my old board.

also i did put it up on the easy lounge but no one seemed interested.

i could very well just keep it and ride it this season, something ive considered extensively. all i was asking was some opinions on the boards i mentioned and how they would work for me or any suggestions someone else might have.

ill say it again. i just want to try a new board and getting rid of this one will make it easier on me. however, i used one is a good idea, something i hadnt really considered
I don't think anybody was biting at you Tony, we're trying to understand where you're coming from. If we know what, specifically, you DIDN'T like, we can help steer you. Full camber vs tbt is going ride pretty different.

·
Registered
220 Posts
tony10;985769 And lastly magnatraction is also something ive really been looking into as it gets icy over here. (would the T. rice pro in a 150cm be too much for me? Or something i can grow into well?) :icon_scratch:[/QUOTE said:
Yes, the T Rice is too much if you're focusing on park and on piste. Look at the Gnu Riders Choice. C2BTX is an awesome profile to develop on. RC is a more playful mervin board that can still kill it when you want to go pow/big mountain and has the magnatraction you're looking for. Great midflexing board.

At your weight 151cm if you want more park and playfullness, 154 if you want to be more aggressive and if you're going to gain weight soon.

Haven't riddn Bataleon or Yes. I do want a Yes The Greats badly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and to clarify what i want this board to do would be to be stable on blacks and ice (so some form of magnetraction would probably be good), fast, floats in pow, good pop and decent enough to get by in the park. ill probably be buying a park specific board in a year or two so thats less important.

i know it sounds like a quiver of one type of board but im just trying to get an idea of peoples opinions and maybe find a board that i looked over in my search

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the T Rice is too much if you're focusing on park and on piste. Look at the Gnu Riders Choice. C2BTX is an awesome profile to develop on. RC is a more playful mervin board that can still kill it when you want to go pow/big mountain and has the magnatraction you're looking for. Great midflexing board.

At your weight 151cm if you want more park and playfullness, 154 if you want to be more aggressive and if you're going to gain weight soon.

Haven't riddn Bataleon or Yes. I do want a Yes The Greats badly.
I was considering the RC as well, good looking specs and tech..
is the T rice good on piste and pow though? say if i buy another board for park? just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea thats a good point, perhaps i am over thinking the whole thing a bit.

anyways i think the riders choice is something i may end up with if i decide to get one.

i appreciate the help fellas, thanks a bunch

·
Registered
658 Posts
yea thats a good point, perhaps i am over thinking the whole thing a bit.

anyways i think the riders choice is something i may end up with if i decide to get one.

i appreciate the help fellas, thanks a bunch
Yup.

Rider's Choice is a really great board. It was one of the best sellers at our shop this past season. Honestly, any of the boards you have mentioned would be fine for you. Some are going to react differently to certain situations, but in the end they are all pieces of wood sliding on frozen water. Your skill level will dictate how well each board rides for you, not the other way around.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i did say theres nothing really wrong with the snowboard. my main reason is that i just want to try something else. ive ridden it about 5 times and have found that it is a pretty good board.
riding a board a few times only to sell it for another board is probably a worse idea than making a few friends on the hill and swapping boards for a few runs. maybe just keep your board and try some shit out? even if you don't have demos in your area, most shops will let you rent a "premium" board for like $25-30, and you could pick something/some shape that you're interested in and get a whole day on it. just seems a bit inefficient to just buy boards to ride a few times.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yup i pretty much said thats what im gonna do lol but thanks man i do appreciate it :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts