Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? First post here!

Here's a little background information on my experience. Rode about 6-8 times through out 2004-2006. Learned how to ride a bit but did catch on pretty quick as I was young and do know how to balance on a board from skateboarding. Fast enough to surprise my experienced friends :)

Took a huge break and rode about 4-5 times in 2011-12. Took a while to get it back but eventually did.

However, I really hate my board. I got a SIM's all mountain board 151-155cm(I forget) in 2004 for like $500+ which I probably got ripped off pretty bad.

Anyways I'm not a weak guy or that small yet the board is pretty damn heavy and has very little flex. I seriously think this is what is causing me to not be able to turn easily. It's really hard to correct the board from turning by it self and I catch edge pretty often and fall forwards or back.

I'm about 5'11-6'0 165-170lbs.

What size board should I get? Any board in particular? I am by no means good enough to do tricks on rails and all that good stuff so I don't think I need a free style board.

Appreciate any help guys.

Thank you

·
Registered
451 Posts
save some cash and rent a board. maybe if you feel the need to buy stuff, go to the shop and try on a bunch of boots and see what fits best.

try renting different boards and see what you like, if you decide you're gonna be riding a lot, then buy one that you feel good on after trying a few. shops will sell good used decks at a discount.

if you buy something and don't like it (especially based on recommendations from others), chances are you'll be back on the forum in 5 years saying, "i rode about 4-5 times in 2013/14 season, because i bought this shitty board and hated it"

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Sounds like it is more of a skill/technique issue. A new board (real any recent basic mid-flex deck) might help, but it is mostly about proper technique/knowing how to ride.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds like it is more of a skill/technique issue. A new board (real any recent basic mid-flex deck) might help, but it is mostly about proper technique/knowing how to ride.
+1

imo your money is better spent on either some lessons or more time on the mountain....

When you get your basics down and are then trying out new things like venturing in the park, after some deep, popping off natural features you'll have an idea of what kind of shape, length, profile & flex your after...

Learning on a stiffer board is not a bad thing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. Guess it must just be me sucking then.

guess I'll just work on my skills.

thanks for the replies

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I see. Guess it must just be me sucking then.

guess I'll just work on my skills.

thanks for the replies
Oh come off it. Nobody said you sucked. But you told us that you had been riding 10-13 times - in two stints more than 5 years apart. At that point in your riding progression the board is pretty irrelevant and you should be more focused on learning proper technique and avoiding bad habits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh come off it. Nobody said you sucked. But you told us that you had been riding 10-12 times - in two stints more than 5 years apart. At that point in your riding progression the board is pretty irrelevant and you should be more focused on learning proper technique and avoiding bad habits.
haha I was just really excited to try a new board. Guess ill Try renting a few out first after I really polish up my skills.

After watching a few instructional videos I can see what I've been doing wrong.

Appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Yup sounds like technique. I am still learning, going into my 4th year 15-20 days a year. There are spells where I feel I'm regressing.

Learn to turn on that board first. Get 5-10 days on. Then when the sales start on this years stuff you'll get yourself a nice deal on a good board. But I'd stick to what you've got for now.

Although I will say, if your board is shitty it can hold you back a little. If it's super stiff for a beginner they'll feel helpless and sometimes panic. That can hold you back.

But at 165lbs a 151-155 all mtn board wouldn't hold you back in that sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup sounds like technique. I am still learning, going into my 4th year 15-20 days a year. There are spells where I feel I'm regressing.

Learn to turn on that board first. Get 5-10 days on. Then when the sales start on this years stuff you'll get yourself a nice deal on a good board. But I'd stick to what you've got for now.

Although I will say, if your board is shitty it can hold you back a little. If it's super stiff for a beginner they'll feel helpless and sometimes panic. That can hold you back.

But at 165lbs a 151-155 all mtn board wouldn't hold you back in that sense.
Yeah thanks for the advice.

I really do think my board is extremely stiff though. It's really hard to bend even a little and the heavy weight causes me to catch too much speed. The places where I board usually only have hard pack so it's easy to catch speed from the start. Sometimes it's practically ice.

I get that panic thing you're talking about, I try to turn but it won't respond fast enough because it's so goddam stiff and heavy and i don't know what the hell to do and i just catch edge and fall on my face.

I'm going to have to hit the bunny slopes and see if what I think I'm doing wrong is true and see if it's just a problem on my end.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Having a new board with more flex will give you more confidence while you're learning. I say go for it. You can get something really cheap right now.

Go for something like the K2 Raygun, you can get a new one under $200.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
I get that panic thing you're talking about, I try to turn but it won't respond fast enough because it's so goddam stiff and heavy and i don't know what the hell to do and i just catch edge and fall on my face.
Could it be that you are too hesitant? I'm not good in explaining movements, I leave that to the ones, who actually KNOW what they're doing (I'm riding more intuitively, actually no big clue, what I'm doing when) but I got some experience with big heavy stiff boards and one thing I know for certain is that they don't like to be ridden too slow and wishy-washy. If you're afraid to fall and gain too much speed, I assume, you react like most beginners I see: lean back, stiff knees and await the fall. Don't try to turn the board, TURN it. Don't ask for it, but demand it. Use some energy out of your knees. Ride lower in your knees, put some more weight on your front foot, don't be afraid if you gain a little more speed, the board will turn easier, the faster you go. At some point it just clicks and you'll begin to love to ride it. I actually think stiff boards are more responsive than soft ones... But if you really don't feel comfortable with it, just get a softer one. Might help to gain confidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts