Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am an intermediate downhill ride and a beginner park rider, I spend about 4/5 of my time on the hill and 1/5 in the park. basically I want something that is excellent on hardpack snow, as that is all we have where I come from. Something like a halfpipe board would be perfect if you know what I mean, something that is medium or stiff flex and has good grip on hardpack. reverse camber or camber does not matter.
right now I am looking at a few different Burton boards such as the Hero, Joystick, Blunt, Deuce and a couple others but I'm worried they will be just a tad bit too buttery for what I want....or will they? I don't know
I am open to any brand

thanks =)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you dead set on it being a Burton, or are you open to other brands?

What size boot do you wear, and approximate height and weight? All important factors in board selection.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
you can look into the burton x8. this yrs model has RC on it so i wouldnt know how it handles on hardpack, but i do have last yrs x8 with regular camber on it and it can handle anything

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yea sorry I am

5'10
130 lbs
I wear size 10 1/2 boots
I am very open to other brands

Polonia, thanks, I will look at the X8

·
Registered
648 Posts
lib tech trs fits the bill perfectly.has magnetraction which is perfect for hardpack. it has banana camber. it has great flex for all mountain.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
demo out the RC tech first...you may not like it. Different companies have different RC tech. Lib tech has banana technology which has a big arch. Never summer has rocker between the bindings and camber at the nose and tail. Burton has several different versions of it: flying V, s-rocker v-rocker etc...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm okay thanks for the info Polonia. now I guess I'm not sure if I want RC or camber. I'm leaning toward either a camber or more slight R/C board. would it help if I got a board that had better grip, like magnatraction from LibTech or pressure distribution from Burton?? or in the end would I still end up with a little less traction?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
hmm okay thanks for the info Polonia. now I guess I'm not sure if I want RC or camber. I'm leaning toward either a camber or more slight R/C board. would it help if I got a board that had better grip, like magnatraction from LibTech or pressure distribution from Burton?? or in the end would I still end up with a little less traction?
Me personally, i only ride on burton...my custom x is extremely agile in all terrain and conditions. If u keep ur edges sharp then u should be good to go. I had my custom x for 2 yrs and i mostly ride ice and hard pack and my board still has good grip.

Do a lot of research before buying anything. There are a lot of mixed reviews about RC.
Camber boards "in my opinion" will always have better grip and stability. When u put ur weight on the board, your weight is fighting against the boards natural tendancy to pop back into its convex shape, therefore better edge distribution and control. On a RC, as your going thru a high speed turn, the board wants to pop back into its concave position and its constantly fighting with edge hold, but on the other hand u have quicker and sharper turns.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks man, you helped a lot.
I'm thinking I'll go with the Burton Operator. It is cambered, has the channel system, and has pressure ditribution, but it can still do a few park tricks. plus I can get it for 240 US greens

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
On a RC, as your going thru a high speed turn, the board wants to pop back into its concave position and its constantly fighting with edge hold, but on the other hand u have quicker and sharper turns.
Actually, with the RC at high speed, that's when the cambered tips really kick in and put the whole effective edge onto the ice.

I just got an RC board and have been riding the East Coast ice for eight years and I don't notice a huge difference in edge hold on ice. Mind you, I always keep my edges sharp, cambered or RC. Certainly there are differences, but edge hold on ice isn't really one of them for me.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Actually, with the RC at high speed, that's when the cambered tips really kick in and put the whole effective edge onto the ice.

I just got an RC board and have been riding the East Coast ice for eight years and I don't notice a huge difference in edge hold on ice. Mind you, I always keep my edges sharp, cambered or RC. Certainly there are differences, but edge hold on ice isn't really one of them for me.
u ride on a NS?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts