Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Lib Tech Banana Magic and love it. I've looking for a power board that will complement it well that is stable at speed and cant still handle groomers at the end of the day alright.

Anyone have a suggestion? I was looking at the El Nino MC. Has anyone ridden one? The Birdman might be a little too pow specific.. I'm not sure. I'm waffling back and forth.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
919 Posts
What is it about the Banana Magic you dont like in pow?
I rode mine in up to 18" of fresh last year (according to the resorts website) and it was fine and a lot of fun, it has a ton of rocker.
Is there a reason all of your thoughts on boards are lib tech?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not much not to like about the Banana Magic to be honest. I'm definitely not complaining. It's a great all around board and on powder days it does fine.

We are starting to explore some of the backcountry areas at Crystal Mountain and in deep trees more than once I wished I had more nose under me when I have back to back powder days in terrain I don't know.

I just know Lib Techs somewhat. The board I get doesn't need to be one necessarily - that's just my frame of reference. I was also eyeing the Jones Hovercraft and Rossi Experience if I have the name correct.

Since I enjoy the Banana Magic everywhere else I was basically looking for a Magic that had a bit more nose and maybe a bit less side cut for high speed exits from chutes and tree stashes. That looked like it could be a Birdman or El Nina.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
One of my buddies bought the El Niño last year and hated it. I can't remember why (he is a huge Lib supporter too), bit I do remember he said it was VERY heavy.

Personally my fav POW boards are the Salomon Sick Stick and Ride Slackcountry (I own both). Perfect for hiking lines at Crystal. I've also owned the Highlife (decent POW board, but not my fave) and also currently own the Ride Berzerker (also decent in POW, but not fave)

The K2 Ultradream is getting great reviews as well, but I've never ridden it.

Beware of the Hovercraft though.....its a great pow board but VERY different to ride. Takes some getting used to. I'd recommend trying to demo it before purchasing.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the Ride boards like now? I remember that they used to be made in the PNW years (decades?) ago. Is that a good company to get behind?

I have a stigma about buying Solomon products to this day after years of being under the thumb of ski overlords in my youth. Should I just get past that?

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
If you have a stigma about ski overlords then you shouldn't look at Ride it's owned by K2. Just get over it the ski companies make some of the best boards out there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DrnknZag,

Do you feel like this review of a Slackcountry is a good description of how you feel about the board? Sounds like a good fit for me based off that write up.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
If you have a stigma about ski overlords then you shouldn't look at Ride it's owned by K2. Just get over it the ski companies make some of the best boards out there.
Second that.
I ride Libs now, but used to ride Salomon and Ride.
I think Salomon has some of the best constructed boards out there. I'm less enthused about their design now (not the graphics, but the camber profiles/sidecuts).

And if you were considering the Rossi Experience, remember that Rossignol was originally a ski company.

BTW, of the boards I have now, the Banana Magic is easily my favourite.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I don't want to bash the ski companies. I know it's weird I'm like that about Solomon. I'm sure I would really enjoy their products. :thumbsup:

I wonder if I should just try to set my binding back some on the Banana Magic on deep consecutive powder days. I've actually never done that before.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Yeah I don't want to bash the ski companies. I know it's weird I'm like that about Solomon. I'm sure I would really enjoy their products. :thumbsup:

I wonder if I should just try to set my binding back some on the Banana Magic on deep consecutive powder days. I've actually never done that before.
I was thinking that as well about the setback, but I've never tried it either.:dunno:

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have done the set back on the nana magic it rides just fine. I like it in pow (then again I have the wide version), I am over 200lbs and I didnt have any problems it was a lot of fun.

I only use the banana magic on pow days now. (thats the only time I ride that board, once my other pow board is more wrecked ill use the magic full time) my normal pow board is my bataleon undisputed though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Second that.
I ride Libs now, but used to ride Salomon and Ride.
I think Salomon has some of the best constructed boards out there. I'm less enthused about their design now (not the graphics, but the camber profiles/sidecuts).

And if you were considering the Rossi Experience, remember that Rossignol was originally a ski company.

BTW, of the boards I have now, the Banana Magic is easily my favourite.:thumbsup:
Do you have a longer or a powder specific board for deep days, Dragon? If so, which one and how would you compare it to the Banana Magic?

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Do you have a longer or a powder specific board for deep days, Dragon? If so, which one and how would you compare it to the Banana Magic?
No.
I ride in Ontario, with a couple of trips out west a year.
Haven't had a need yet for a powder specific board.:sad:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up picking up a Lib Tech Brando by Lando to complement the Magic. I'm crazy excited for winter!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good choice! What made you go with the brando by lando? I picked one up too.
I went with the Brando mainly because I thought it would make for a solid ride on the groomers too. I had the Birdman in my hand, but it is so specialized that I though it might annoy me once the powder was tracked out. I definately want to ride one and try it.

I still go back and forth in my mind but over all I think I will be happier with the Lando overall in more conditions. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I went with the Brando mainly because I thought it would make for a solid ride on the groomers too. I had the Birdman in my hand, but it is so specialized that I though it might annoy me once the powder was tracked out. I definately want to ride one and try it.

I still go back and forth in my mind but over all I think I will be happier with the Lando overall in more conditions. :thumbsup:
Will be interesting to see. Suspect that they will handle considerably different on groomers. In some respect the Birdman is actually less specialized than the Brando - the Birdman's long nose does not really come into play on the groomers and the deck actually has quite a bit less taper than the Brando.
But maybe the C2 camber profile on the Brando will make up for that when carving on groomers :dunno:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts