Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good things to wear to keep my face warm on cold days. I could use a bandana but those seem like a hassle and don't form to my face. Are balaclavas good to use? If so, does this seem like a good buy:

Awesome Cold Weather Addition!! - Under Armour ColdGear Balaclava - Epinions.com

I want something that will completely cover my face when I wear goggles, won't fog my goggles up, and is thin enough to fit under a helmet. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to anything

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use a Merino wool buff. You can pull it over your ears, head, or wear as a neck gaiter. It dries quick, doesn't get crusty, doesn't get stinky.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
A beard works pretty good. Everything else fogs your gogs like 200x worse.

I'm usually too hot so this year I'm goin shaven.

·
Land of the Potato
1,228 Posts
a bandana is probably the worst thing you can use for your face. I use a face mask about 50% of the time, a lot of times i get pretty hot with it on, but the conditions where i do have a face mask on would freeze the bandana in about 20 minutes and it would be uncomfortable and useless. Also they never stay tight or stay on. I like using a tall fleece neck warmer, and i bring it up over my nose. Then i just pull it down when i don't want it. A good breathable half face mask works best IMO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What are some good things to wear to keep my face warm on cold days. I could use a bandana but those seem like a hassle and don't form to my face. Are balaclavas good to use? If so, does this seem like a good buy:

Awesome Cold Weather Addition!! - Under Armour ColdGear Balaclava - Epinions.com

I want something that will completely cover my face when I wear goggles, won't fog my goggles up, and is thin enough to fit under a helmet. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to anything
I use a Balaclava I bought at R.E.I. it's not a fancy one from underarmor, but works great. You can pull it down to keep just your neck warm, cover your whole head, or just do half. The only real issue I have is putting goggles on you have to pull it up a little high on your nose and then after the goggles are situated, you pull it down. It covers everything, and you can bomb runs without getting bad windburn on your face.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i was looking at the long gaitors too that i could pull up over my face. i can get one of these under armour ones for about $12 though and if you get too hot you can pull it down below you chin. It seems pretty useful for me but what kind of problems/limitations would they bring?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have a Turtle Fur neck gaiter that pulls up over the face as well, but I only use it when it's either frigidly cold, or stupid deep. Otherwise, I just go uncovered.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I never had luck with finding good face covers. Start of last year I must have bought 4-5 different balaclavas and face covers. All of then ended up not working well for various reason i.e. poor circulation, uncomfortable straps, poor overall fit, fogged up goggles etc. The problem immediately went away after getting a Burton AK jacket which has an extra high neck that goes up to the middle of your nose. Its perfect to fit your face in and cuts the wind chill. Even on the coldest days last season I was fine.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
u can wear all that shit under helmet no worries its just like fleece and/or wetsuit material. I have a serius fleece hood that I use for really cold days.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
354 Posts
It worked with both my old helmet and my new ride duster helmet. I just pulled it out and there are no markings for a size. I don't own any hats either. I'm 80% sure it's a medium.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
u can wear all that shit under helmet no worries its just like fleece and/or wetsuit material. I have a serius fleece hood that I use for really cold days.
Small qualification: I found that masks that cover my ears and have the velcro adjustment in the back (like my Beardski) can be a bit bulky with a helmet that has a full liner and padded earflaps.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I recommend wearing one of these! :laugh: Although itchy at times, they're warm, free, breathable, and durable. :rolleyes:
I only wear a balaclava when its -degrees or windy as shit. I can't breath that well in them...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
back to the UA hood, does anyone know how compatible they are with goggles? I want to wear goggles with and have the goggles either right up next to the hood or even slightly overlapping it, but I can't have them fogging up on me. If I'm using a good pair of goggles, will I have this issue with the UA hood?

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts