Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Would you ever consider posting videos of you riding your favorite boards in your reviews BA?
I think it'd be entertaining to see you on those short 143-144 boards like cool bean / party platter that you've reviewed.
Do this!
you don't have to yelp, but you can if you want.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The on-hill stuff are just annoying and mostly useless. I think the on-the-table reviews are more useful, simply because they offer close looks at things that may be hard to come by.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I generally use the site as a starting point. You can get a good idea of specs most the time, take the video reviews with a grain of salt but they tend to do an ok job an explaining the purpose of a board most of the time. I can't say any one site is perfect and many off them push one brand versus another. I like BAs site but he is limited to a few brands so sometimes you need to go to The Goodride or Boardinsiders for info.

I'm a big fan of the write ups mtnweekly does but once again they stick to certain brands

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Would you ever consider posting videos of you riding your favorite boards in your reviews BA?
I think it'd be entertaining to see you on those short 143-144 boards like cool bean / party platter that you've reviewed.
I actually went out and filmed a full day of me ripping groomers on the Cool Bean to splice in with The Good Rides belief that the board is only good on deep days.

I totally get where you're coming from, these guys just misrepresent what they do. They spew generic crap in their reviews and most are so vague that there is nothing to really gain. And I don't know if I have ever heard them give a board a genuinely bad review.

200 days a year sounds like a pretty damn good winter. Thanks for rubbing it in :finger1:
Coming from working in a shop these guys give bad info then I have to correct it in the shop.

Yeah 200 days is rough.

How many people clicked on those videos and made those guys even more money?
They're Vimeo videos so they're not monetized. A smarter person would have made a Youtube channel and monteized it that way.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
They're Vimeo videos so they're not monetized. A smarter person would have made a Youtube channel and monteized it that way.
Not quite. Vimeo hits affect them in two ways:
1. Directly: Some of their advertising rates are linked to metrics such as number of video views.
2. Indirectly: Vimeo hits factor into search engine results, both driving ad rates (for sure) and traffic to the site (potentially).

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Not quite. Vimeo hits affect them in two ways:
1. Directly: Some of their advertising rates are linked to metrics such as number of video views.
2. Indirectly: Vimeo hits factor into search engine results, both driving ad rates (for sure) and traffic to the site (potentially).
You don't get it. He doesn't have direct ad sales it's all affiliate marketing for him. So unless someone buys through one of his links or his site was the last to archive a cookie he isn't making shit. Vimeo isn't good for SEO or nearly as powerful as Youtube which does have monetization. Trust me I do this for an actual living and know where everything ranks and how he runs his business. Let alone the fact he paid about 10k just so his reviews would rank higher on Google than me and I'm still out pacing him for readership and interactions.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I like their layout. i can click on a few selections on the left side of the page and then all of those boards are there at once. (or bindings or whatever) And, I enjoy the reviews being in a video format. Not all of them are, but quite a few and I can get more from the vid than just reading it. More emotion and language inflection that helps me to know what they thought of it, why they liked it or which aspects they liked. I don't mean the vids of them riding, which I don't care about, but the review vids.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I like their layout. i can click on a few selections on the left side of the page and then all of those boards are there at once. (or bindings or whatever) And, I enjoy the reviews being in a video format. Not all of them are, but quite a few and I can get more from the vid than just reading it. More emotion and language inflection that helps me to know what they thought of it, why they liked it or which aspects they liked. I don't mean the vids of them riding, which I don't care about, but the review vids.
I find their review videos with all the ass-ing around highly irritating. But that is just personal preference and others might like the style - no problem there.
Issue is that whatever they say in the videos (and written reviews) is mostly a) just repeating the manufacturer blurb or b) nonsense/wrong.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
You sound like the type of guy that would say The Big Bang Theory is funny and has creative writing. My soul weeps for you.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

Wow, so much emotion about me liking your competitor's site :). Really? your angry soul weeps for me???:facepalm2:
no, he's right. you are one of those big bang theory people. yes, his site layout is nicer, but trying to wade through the shit he says in the video makes it even harder to get nuances of boards. especially when they go off tangent and start repeating each other like retarded sea gulls thinking they're being funny.

·
Registered
538 Posts
no, he's right. you are one of those big bang theory people. yes, his site layout is nicer, but trying to wade through the shit he says in the video makes it even harder to get nuances of boards. especially when they go off tangent and start repeating each other like retarded sea gulls thinking they're being funny.
All snowboard reviews suck, BA's site included. It's all a grain of salt. I can care less about butterablilty and all the other horseshit because I will butter any board I want to, from soft to stiff (get it?).... and I will ride tight trees, moguls, 360 off jumps, 360 into trees and moguls, ride the headwall at Tucks, basically ride the same as I always do with any board I have strapped to my feet.

Learn to ride, fuck all the rest.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Pretty sure I am, too. At least on Facebook we're crushing them.
When I compare metrics every year to make sure I'm getting the traffic I need those guys are so far below me it's laughable, yet he claims 10 million views. Not sure if he's accounting for 9,999,999 spam bots or not.

Wow, so much emotion about me liking your competitor's site :). Really? your angry soul weeps for me???:facepalm2:
My soul weeps for the fact you like mediocrity.

All snowboard reviews suck, BA's site included. It's all a grain of salt. I can care less about butterablilty and all the other horseshit because I will butter any board I want to, from soft to stiff (get it?).... and I will ride tight trees, moguls, 360 off jumps, 360 into trees and moguls, ride the headwall at Tucks, basically ride the same as I always do with any board I have strapped to my feet.

Forgot how much of a snowboard mecca Long Island is. Jaegerbomb!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

good for you.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,135 Posts
You sound like the type of guy that would say The Big Bang Theory is funny and has creative writing. My soul weeps for you.

Seriously?
From where did this come?
Please advise what all the cool, high brow kids should be watching, and which websites they should be visiting.:dry:

81 - 100 of 140 Posts