Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
It's been generally established that these numbnuts can't snowboard. On a hunch I watched a few other short and fat style board reviews of theirs and they just dont understand the volume shift theory and how to ride boards of that nature. They ride different, you drive them differently. They don't get that.

Further proof these chotchbags are useless.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Read up on the K2 Cool Bean and 420
Thanks. I was thinking it had to do with total surface area of boards, but was thrown off by term "Volume" being used. As a surfer, the term volume carries a different meaning, but surface area is still needed as well for a optimal ride.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
It's been generally established that these numbnuts can't snowboard. On a hunch I watched a few other short and fat style board reviews of theirs and they just dont understand the volume shift theory and how to ride boards of that nature. They ride different, you drive them differently. They don't get that.

He also doesn't like the Fish much, which is another shorty/wide type board. I saw one review and he prefers the Barracuda in powder over the Fish. Which in real deep powder is kind of.... crazy. I can totally see how the Barracuda is better on groomers though. But he was reviewing both as powder boards.... so that was weird.

Frankly.... it doesn't matter too much what they say. To me it's just an opinion. Unfortunately, the way they describe their boards have more to do with the basic manufacturer description and then they go on and give their their opinion on how they like it for themselves.

Angry's reviews are better in the sense that they give a brief on the manuf's descriptions... just enough (because the rest... well, you can read that anywhere). Then the meat of their review is more where they give more of a generalized opinion and description on how it actually feels. It's still the reviewer's opinion, but I think he doesnt get so hung up on what HE likes and not... instead they describe how the board feels and what it does well or not. From there on you can decide for yourself whether you want it for you or not. This is definitely a better approach to reviews.

I gotta say though.... that 420 Powder Hull must be AMAZING. I almost demoed it, but because there was only some very little powder, and it was a bit wet end of season stuff.... I did not bother taking it out. I think I would rather buy it blindly than demo it in meh conditions....... rocker/flat/rocker, wide and with the tail and nose sort of swallow tailed.... that thing must be a beast and you can stand up completely centered and it will not sink.

·
Registered
32 Posts

So how do you drive the shot and fats, especially on groomers?
I understand how these would work on a pow day, but I can't really imagine engaging a carve in a surf style

·
Registered
14 Posts
so the one thing i like about the GoodRide is how you can filter the boards.
it´s really the best site if you are searching for something like lets say a directional board wide waist stiff flex.
you hit 3 buttons and you have a bunch of boards to choose from.
but thats about it.

i watched a couple of their videos. and they just dont get a few things imho.
for example their main gay (james) says he doesnt like flat boards for carving because they dont spring out of turns.
yes camber helps with that but he main thing that will slingshot you out of a turn is sidecut.
if you have a progressive sidecut or even a radial sidecut and the board is not a complete noodle you will get spring out of a turn.
or they dont like a binding because it´s not very damp. well thats just personal preference. some people just dont like damp bindings.

if @BurtonAvenger s site would be a bit more structured in terms of how you can find a boards without having to read hundreds of reviews it would be perfect.
i bought 2 boards based on his reviews (XV Magtek & IPP Honalee) both were spot on on what he wrote an what i was looking for.
but i have to say i really would like to see some review videos. just because i´m lazy and prefer watching vids instead of reading.

·
Registered
352 Posts
it´s really the best site if you are searching for something like lets say a directional board wide waist stiff flex.
you hit 3 buttons and you have a bunch of boards to choose from.
but thats about it.

i watched a couple of their videos. and they just dont get a few things imho.
for example their main gay (james) says he doesnt like flat boards for carving because they dont spring out of turns.
yes camber helps with that but he main thing that will slingshot you out of a turn is sidecut.
if you have a progressive sidecut or even a radial sidecut and the board is not a complete noodle you will get spring out of a turn.
or they dont like a binding because it´s not very damp. well thats just personal preference. some people just dont like damp bindings.

if @BurtonAvenger s site would be a bit more structured in terms of how you can find a boards without having to read hundreds of reviews it would be perfect.
i bought 2 boards based on his reviews (XV Magtek & IPP Honalee) both were spot on on what he wrote an what i was looking for.
but i have to say i really would like to see some review videos. just because i´m lazy and prefer watching vids instead of reading.
ha ha.....you and I are on the same page. My input was "I like TGR's layout much better and like seeing reviews in video form; with a summary of the review in writing below it".

What can I say I like that format/layout much better and for the reasons you listed. The reply to that was "oh yea....well you like a TV show that i don't like" :) (sports being the only TV watching I ever do anyway:computer3: :) )

Hmmm.....speaking of which...Who even watches network shows anymore?? Nothing bad about anyone that does.....I just never even hear anyone talking about TV shows around the metaphorical water cooler anymore and don't even know what shows are on. My grown kids don't even have cable or want it. They just stream what they want to watch....so perhaps they do see TV sitcoms, etc but do it that way? Hmmm....piqued my curiosity now. I'll have to ask them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Most people these days want short , quick, informative blurbs of info that they can look at quickly and move on = video.

TGR drops the ball on this with the asshat videos they mindlessly spew out. Out of 5 minutes of babble, you at best get to look at the board physically close up and OCCASIONALLY get a useful tidbit of tech.

The TGR crew also likes only one specific type of board = Cambered, set back, medium stiff boards with Rockered tail/tip and a WW of under 255. Everything not those specs is " hard to butter", "washy", "can't hold an edge", is "hard to turn with my size 9 boot" and is "not a good Ride favorite"

Complete rubbish.

AS is more concise with his mostly unbiased views and comes across as much more knowledge tech-wise but the user interface/search/layout of the site is light years behind the TGR layout which 1000 times more user friendly.

In a perfect review world, a combination of the TGR layout/interface/video with the AS review info would probably be the end all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
AS is more concise with his mostly unbiased views and comes across as much more knowledge tech-wise but the user interface/search/layout of the site is light years behind the TGR layout which 1000 times more user friendly.

In a perfect review world, a combination of the TGR layout/interface/video with the AS review info would probably be the end all.

Hallelujah!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The TGR crew also likes only one specific type of board = Cambered, set back, medium stiff boards with Rockered tail/tip and a WW of under 255. Everything not those specs is " hard to butter", "washy", "can't hold an edge", is "hard to turn with my size 9 boot" and is "not a good Ride favorite"

Complete rubbish.
:laugh2:

Completely true

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
don't kill me for saying this, but I found a bright side. they have boot reviews. nobody else does this. I actually find it informative. shocking huh? their boot reviews suck? no idea since I can't fucking compare it to anything else. I wish peter would stfu and jimbo talked more.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,395 Posts

/QUOTE]

^ This.
Attention span is short, not only when it comes to watch edits, also when having to scroll through reviews. Don't find it quickly? Leave the site.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts