Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
I've got the Contour. A roam for $99 right now is a steal. It's got 1080p and 720p @60fps. I think it's a waste to shoot anything over 720p anyways. I'd recommend it.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have the GoPro 3 Black edition and I love it. I use it snowboarding constantly, and also while scuba diving/standup jetskiing.

The contour is a nice option as well but you are much more limited on accessories and quality. I disagree on the 720p being all you need though. I shoot 720p @ 120fps while diving but otherwise my film is all 1080p or better. And having the option to shoot at 4k is nice.

GoPro studio is also nice and easy to use for video editing without having learn to use after effects etc.

The video on this home page was filmed with my gopro at 1080p @ 60fps Ballistic Boardwear and all these clips were as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBmTi87w1EnSYh8eha_NfxA

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
I have the GoPro 3 Black edition and I love it. I use it snowboarding constantly, and also while scuba diving/standup jetskiing.

The contour is a nice option as well but you are much more limited on accessories and quality. I disagree on the 720p being all you need though. I shoot 720p @ 120fps while diving but otherwise my film is all 1080p or better. And having the option to shoot at 4k is nice.

GoPro studio is also nice and easy to use for video editing without having learn to use after effects etc.

The video on this home page was filmed with my gopro at 1080p @ 60fps Ballistic Boardwear and all these clips were as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBmTi87w1EnSYh8eha_NfxA
Yeah, see all that jittery wavy-ness...that's what you get with 1080p. Stick with 720 if you want your video to be crisp and clear.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Having used a gopro 3 black then moving to the Sony AS100 action cam, I like the Sony better. Here is why:

1) Video stability. Sony has built in software to reduce the "shaking" of the video. Sure you can use software later to stabilize it but then it warps the video some what.
2) Colors - I find the colors on the Sony are truer colors.
3) Form of the camera - It's not a square box!
4) Less of a fish bowl picture

The most important thing for me was the video stability feature that was built into the Sony. I hated the way the GoPro shook all the time, watching videos from gopro make me like i was having seizure.

Plus you can use most of the extensions from gopro as well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Anybody try the polaroid? It has pretty good reviews online. I thought about getting one of those or the contour before I got the gopro 4 as a gift recently.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah, see all that jittery wavy-ness...that's what you get with 1080p. Stick with 720 if you want your video to be crisp and clear.
The wavy image is due to the GoPro implementing a rolling shutter vs. a global shutter. All action cams to my knowledge have a rolling shutter so this can be a problem with all of them. Upping the framerate usually helps with this.

To the OP, in my opinion the best images are coming from the GoPro, Sony action cam and the Garmin Virb.
The biggest gripe with the gopro is the 'fisheye' effect due to the wide field of view. This is very easy to correct by either shooting in medium FOV or through editing it in post which is very easy using the gopro app.

Gopro definitely has its limitations but for my money the hero4 is the best action cam out there.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i've never used any action camera but from the videos i've seen (from gopro and sony) i prefer the gopro because the video quality looked better and it has a wider view.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having used a gopro 3 black then moving to the Sony AS100 action cam, I like the Sony better. Here is why:

1) Video stability. Sony has built in software to reduce the "shaking" of the video. Sure you can use software later to stabilize it but then it warps the video some what.

The most important thing for me was the video stability feature that was built into the Sony. I hated the way the GoPro shook all the time, watching videos from gopro make me like i was having seizure.

care to link me to some of your videos? would love to see it in action.

easy enough to attach to a helmet?

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts

Funny. I found the video stability to be awful. Shaky and wavy footage. That's a deal breaker for me. Colors were noticeably vibrant and bright but that can be changed on any camera in post production. I did like the field of vision. Not super stretched out like some POV cams. But I did find it to feel cheaply made. The mounting options they had to try we're kind of a joke too.

Even though there could be some improvements, especially with mounting options and mic quality, for me, Contour still takes the over all.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I don't have any videos to share but look at this and then you draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5WXCyLfATg

@Extremo - Perhaps the stabilization feature was turned off on the Sony? All sony cameras including hand helds and point and shoot cameras have the auto stabilization feature built into them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Haven't tried the Sony. Have a Contour 2+ I believe it is. Battery seems to die almost immediately in the cold, lucky to get a minutes footage. Took a spare battery, dies almost immediately. Replaced the contour under warranty. Same issue. Suspect they use Li-Ion batteries and don't tolerate the cold particularly well. Bit of a shame as it isn't a bad camera when it actually works.

Will stick with my Go Pro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a Sony AS100 last week and I like it alot more than my gopro 3 black. The image stabilization is really amazing for snowboarding vids. You do lose the full "fisheye" when you turn it on though. Going to take some more clips for this season and will make a video of it later.

I also picked up the live view remote and wrist/goggle mounts. The live view remote is really useful since when I'm up on the mountain I don't always want to be taking out my phone to look if it's at the right height/angle/etc. The wrist mount is kinda so so for me because I don't really want to be holding my arm up like buzz lightyear all day. Goggle mount is nice though since it goes on the side of my head instead of making me feel like a beetle with my gopro on my helmet.

EDIT: I do wish I could watch replays on the live view remote, dunno why they couldn't do that. :/

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
I don't have any videos to share but look at this and then you draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5WXCyLfATg

@Extremo - Perhaps the stabilization feature was turned off on the Sony? All sony cameras including hand helds and point and shoot cameras have the auto stabilization feature built into them.
I think the image stabilization is what causes the sketchy video quality. It looks like it's trying to compensate for camera movement, and doing a pretty bad job. The GoPro and Contour in 720 mode seem to have the best picture quality without the shakes and distortion.

Edit: this video only shows the camera when it's still... 1080p has a better picture quality, but once the camera itself starts moving the image becomes distorted.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I think the image stabilization is what causes the sketchy video quality. It looks like it's trying to compensate for camera movement, and doing a pretty bad job. The GoPro and Contour in 720 mode seem to have the best picture quality without the shakes and distortion.

Edit: this video only shows the camera when it's still... 1080p has a better picture quality, but once the camera itself starts moving the image becomes distorted.
What? Look at 7:21 with him jogging up the mountain.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts