Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an old gopro hero first gen that I got as a gift a while back that my buddies and I have been using with a pole mount. We've had trouble figuring out the best ways to capture cool footage with the wide angle lens. Mainly that it seems like the only way to get a good perspective is to be at a very close range to your subject. We do a variety of different things like following one another, posting up in a spot and framing a shot, posting up in a spot and following the subject with the camera, ect... I thought maybe some of the newer camera's might have different lenses and technology that capture depth differently but it seems like most action cams use this 170 degree wide angle perspective. So does anybody maybe have any tips or just neat ideas they use when filming with their action cams? Any input is appreciated thanks!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
If it's the original GoPro HD Hero, you could use 1080p mode (R5) which has a 127 degree FOV. Other than that, all I know is to get a longer pole and get closer to the action, or get a handheld action cam like the Kodak Playsport or similar with a narrower FOV... :dunno:

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
OP could use a video editing program that does image stabilization through cropping. Some let you determine how much to cut away. Filming at 1080 and then cutting it down to 720 would make a difference.

Also there are aftermarket replacement lenses for the GoPro, but not sure whether they have them for the original Hero HD or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts