Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have you guys ever noticed how friggin oblivious skiiers are typically? There are always exceptions to the rule, but 98.999993% of every skiier i see on the slopes locally here are going down the mountain with utter disregard for everyone else on the slopes. I try and really judge the obvious noobs because they are so unpredictable, and I try and give the obvious comfortable skiiers the benefit of the doubt. I was checked out coming down the mountain on saturday and judging as far ahead in the random sea of random retards as I possibly could. I was coming up on a skiiers left pretty fast but i was still easily gonna pass him 20 feet off from where he was, had he continued on his current predictable line. Right before I got close enough to yell "on your left" he makes this magical random left 90* turn, I am certain he is a warlock because he practically disappeared and reappeared directly in front of me. I caught the hardest edge I possibly could and stay on balance and still ran all over him. I took a nasty spill, knocking my goggles clear off my head. Somehow the fall didnt even phase me, no pain at all, apparently I fell just right and avoided an end to my day early. As the skiier came past me sitting on the ground he said "sorry bout that".

what a dick.

anywho.. back on topic

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
Yeah, I agree a lot of skiers do that, but then again, the first rule on the slopes is that the people down the hill from you have the right of way. Regardless of what they do, it's up to you to be in control and be able to avoid them.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
I'm not really into the skiier hating or anything, but I did have an incident with one a couple of weeks ago. I was going down just cruising the slope in practically a straight line. Next thing I know, I hear a loud "WATCH OUT!!!!" and see a skier nearly clip me at full speed. He was fucking flying and had a really bad crash. Major yard sale. Then I hear him talking to his buddies later on saying "that's the dude that made me crash." WTF!?! I'm cruising down the slopes edge to edge in a straight line and it's my fault he couldn't turn to avoid me? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I almost started shit with the dude, but maturity got the best of me that day. Noobs will be Noobs. Don't get mad at me just because you can't turn or stop to avoid someone going in a slow straight line ahead of you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I agree a lot of skiers do that, but then again, the first rule on the slopes is that the people down the hill from you have the right of way. Regardless of what they do, it's up to you to be in control and be able to avoid them.
oh i def agree that the one carrying the speed should be the one controlling the variables. Thats the main reason I was leaving so much space between us, this due totally covered that space in a nano second and I barely had time to react.. i was just carrying so much speed I couldnt scrub off enough of it.

Even still.. the way i see it.. if someone is going fast enough to pass me on the mountain they are a good rider, because I like to carry speed when i roll down the mountain.. HOWEVER... when I move outside my "box" I am carving i ALWAYS take a quick glance over my shoulder to check, i never want to be the one that ruins someone day.

Its like being on the road... i have the right away on a green light, but if I think someone is gonna blow through the red light, I dont keep driving forward at the saem pace all because i had the right of way.. its common sense to be weary of your surroundings.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not really into the skiier hating or anything, but I did have an incident with one a couple of weeks ago. I was going down just cruising the slope in practically a straight line. Next thing I know, I hear a loud "WATCH OUT!!!!" and see a skier nearly clip me at full speed. He was fucking flying and had a really bad crash. Major yard sale. Then I hear him talking to his buddies later on saying "that's the dude that made me crash." WTF!?! I'm cruising down the slopes edge to edge in a straight line and it's my fault he couldn't turn to avoid me? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I almost started shit with the dude, but maturity got the best of me that day. Noobs will be Noobs. Don't get mad at me just because you can't turn or stop to avoid someone going in a slow straight line ahead of you.:nrolleyes:
i had a similar indecent to yours a few weeks ago too.. some dude runs all over me in a my predictable straight line and slap runs my ass over.. then at the base of the mountain makes it a point to make eye contact with me and throw up his hands. He's lucky I think highly of my $700 season pass and the fact that I am too old to be giving in to his childish BS, but I really wanted to roll his ass right there in front of everyone.

The skiier that wrecked me sat apologized, AND no one was hurt, so I simply said "it's ok man, it happens" and stood up and rode off. I should have said, dude, its ok, but could have been far worse, next time check over your shoulder before you shoot across the slope.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
please...snowboarders are just as bad. If I had a nickel for every time a snowboarder thought that "carving" back and forth across the entire trail without looking uphill I would be a millionaire by now. Or sitting on their butts right on the other side of a crest of hill, in groups like its in style or something :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
please...snowboarders are just as bad. If I had a nickel for every time a snowboarder thought that "carving" back and forth across the entire trail without looking uphill I would be a millionaire by now. Or sitting on their butts right on the other side of a crest of hill, in groups like its in style or something :rolleyes:
Wait... so you're trying to say that sitting in groups on parts of the slopes where others can't see you before it's too late isn't in style??? Damn, time to go drink my Kool aid.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I notice that 9 out of 10 times the bar on the lift comes down, it's a skier who puts it down. I've also noticed that 10 out of 10 times said bar whacks me on my helmet, it's a skier that did it. I've also notice the 8 out of 10 times when someone wedges themselves in the last seat on the lift chair, thereby making everyone's life on the chair miserable, it's a skier. I've also noticed that skiers think they've always got the right of way over boarders. I've also noticed that some parents actually TRY and get in your way when they're being mother-goose to their little gaggle of rug rats on the hill.

My wife took out the matriarch of a family a couple weeks ago. It was a giant family of all skiers that would do the typical thing large groups do: Stop at the top of the hill, gape, get in everyone's way, and when you finally just barely get around them, they take off only to get in your way further down the hill. My wife hit the old lady who just didn't listen after my wife screamed 'On your right!!!' twice. So my wife slammed into her and took her out (500 points). Little kid up the hill screamed 'Grandma!!!' and rushed over (+20000 points and 1UP right there). I think B.Gilly was there, although I can't remember for sure.

I wouldn't have a problem with skiers if the few bad apples didn't think it was their god-given duty to make a boarder's life difficult. So you're old, decrepit, and you didn't have boards when you were a kid... don't hate, just get out of my way, leave me alone and I'll gladly do the same.

I want so bad not to hate skiers, but they make it real difficult. Probably just like the occasional snowpunk makes it difficult to like boarders.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I personally wonder what would happen if I started carrying my 157 board on my shoulder, swinging it back and forth and then holding 2 long sticks and swinging them about in the opposition direction. If I had balls in the literal sense...lets just say i wouldn't anymore. I'm walking towards the lodge behind this skier (and I was keeping my distance from him cause I saw him swinging his shit all sorts of directions) all of a sudden he stopped, swung his entire body around, nearly stabbed me in the "balls" and took my head out and then went the other way. This other dude was watching the whole thing and yelled at the skier and he acted like we weren't even there (there's a fucking surprise)NYFamous'Girl, I thought of you and your dude. I picked up my board, put it on my shoulder and said "What if I carry my board like this and swing it around??" Random dude laughs and says "you'd probably kill people." I know the skier guy heard me, he was waiting for someone not too far away...

The most frustrating thing is when we are in lift line and it's time to alternate. I can't tell you how many times the skiers, like 8 deep when we are supposed to alternate, just get right in front of me in line and act like I'm not even there? If you wanna stay with your family, you can't wait for them up top like everyone fucking else fine!! But at least acknowledge that i'm fucking standing there?? That is what bugs me. It sometimes feels like alot of the skiers still don't acknowledge boarders rights to be there too. They still think the mountain is theirs. Don't they know we are all just fucking visiting?

Oh, and if you want to put the bar down to rest your fucking skis, fine, but damn can I get a warning?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my second story was about a snowboarder wanting to fight me over his stupidity... however as for my experiences (cant speak for yours) it have been a majority vote about the skiiers around here. The snowboarders arent as bad (that i have run across so far in my life) as the local tourist ski crowd.

now the enthusiasts on the mountain regardless of what they are riding are the ones that are looking out for themselves and others.

so you can keep your little :rolleyes: because your story holds about weight as mine when it comes to personal experiences.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
I personally wonder what would happen if I started carrying my 157 board on my shoulder, swinging it back and forth and then holding 2 long sticks and swinging them about in the opposition direction. If I had balls in the literal sense...lets just say i wouldn't anymore. I'm walking towards the lodge behind this skier (and I was keeping my distance from him cause I saw him swinging his shit all sorts of directions) all of a sudden he stopped, swung his entire body around, nearly stabbed me in the "balls" and took my head out and then went the other way. This other dude was watching the whole thing and yelled at the skier and he acted like we weren't even there (there's a fucking surprise)NYFamous'Girl, I thought of you and your dude. I picked up my board, put it on my shoulder and said "What if I carry my board like this and swing it around??" Random dude laughs and says "you'd probably kill people." I know the skier guy heard me, he was waiting for someone not too far away...

The most frustrating thing is when we are in lift line and it's time to alternate. I can't tell you how many times the skiers, like 8 deep when we are supposed to alternate, just get right in front of me in line and act like I'm not even there? If you wanna stay with your family, you can't wait for them up top like everyone fucking else fine!! But at least acknowledge that i'm fucking standing there?? That is what bugs me. It sometimes feels like alot of the skiers still don't acknowledge boarders rights to be there too. They still think the mountain is theirs. Don't they know we are all just fucking visiting?

Oh, and if you want to put the bar down to rest your fucking skis, fine, but damn can I get a warning?
:laugh:

I agree 100% with all of this.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and FTR.. i am not a skiier hater at all... I am just bitching about some of the things that i see skiiers do that piss me off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I haven't run into alot of skiers where I usually ride, but the over the shoulder carry thing Dharmashred was talking about really annoys me. Two weeks ago my cousin got konged in the head by someone who heard his name, stopped and swung his skis around like he was in a 3 stooges sketch. She weighs about 90lbs and got knocked to the ground. I almost lost my shit, but it was the beginning of the day and didn't want to get my ticket pulled. We exchanged words and nothing else.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Most of the time whenever I see someone bombing a run yelling at everyone to get out of the way it's a skier. Not to say there aren't snowboarders who sometimes do stupid stuff, but they just usually seem to be more watchful...

(I wonder if some of it has to do with skies being easier to pick up so beginners don't pick up all the "rules" before getting to a high level? :dunno:)

Most skiers are pretty cool though... and most boarders are pretty decent as well. I try to make it a habit to stop and help any skier who loses his poles or skies because I know going uphill to retrieve stuff is a bitch.
(Peace, love, and harmony... eventually! :p)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This is why I board-block when its time to alternate, happens here all the time.

I used to ski, for about 4 years then I started snowboarding and never went back. The problem at the resorts is common sense. Here we have skiers doing across the run turns, well I shouldn't say turns, I should say left to right traverses. One is fine, but when you have a few people doing it then it becomes an annoyance. More often than not, if I say "on your left!" that person will look to their left and turn left. So I don't give any warnings anymore. Every now and again I still here the anti-snowboard talk, but it's probably the same type of people that are racist or whatever, just an old mindset that will never die in terms of stubborn people. Couple years ago was riding single and asked a skier if I could ride up with him, he told me "I'm not riding the lift with one of you snowboarders." I jumped ahead of him in line. Don't get me wrong, some snowboarders have some bad habits too, such as kids strapping in where they shouldn't, falling at the bottom of the lift and not getting up, but for the most part the anti-snowboard talk comes from the older skiers.

As far as carrying their ski's goes, you have to keep one hand free to block, sad to say but the stupidity of people is obvious in terms of that. Same with in the lift line, I remember posting this somewhere before but I've almost been neutered a few times by them pushing off with their poles and having the tip slip when I'm behind them in line.

Years ago I had a kid (skier) on the lift next to me, I had a dragon sticker on my K2, so instead of asking me what it is, he pokes it with his pole "what's that?". I almost lost it, had he been an adult I would've thrown that pole into the ravine.

The dumbest thing I've ever seen was a skier walking out of the rental department. Now, to get from the rental area to the slopes, you have to walk through the locker area, through part of the lodge, across a concrete area with ski/board racks then you get to the snow. He had his skis ON, I'm talking walking with little ski steps, I honestly just stopped and my jaw was hanging wide open along with a few dozen other people. One of these days I may hop on skis again, but snowboarding is just too much fun.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I dunno, usually I just go fast enough on the trails that this isn't burdensome. I hang near the tree lines since that's where most of the better snow is on hard packed days and when I see an opening gun it and don't look back.

With the mother hen groups I just fish tail a bit to keep patient and read the situation taking my time. Usually when I'm near the edge of a narrow trail I wait for them to turn towards the tree line and I do the same coincidentally to set it up. By the time they turn the other way, and back towards the tree line I'm already gone.

As for the lift I've never had an issue of someone slamming down a bar or whatever, knock on wood. If they want to let it down I don't care, I'll rest my board on it.

V

·
0 Posts
I notice that 9 out of 10 times the bar on the lift comes down, it's a skier who puts it down. I've also noticed that 10 out of 10 times said bar whacks me on my helmet, it's a skier that did it. I've also notice the 8 out of 10 times when someone wedges themselves in the last seat on the lift chair, thereby making everyone's life on the chair miserable, it's a skier. I've also noticed that skiers think they've always got the right of way over boarders.
I hear you on that one. They always cut in front of me on the lift line as if to say, "I ski therefore, I am."

·
Registered
62 Posts
It all comes down to respect, courteousness, and common sense...

It's my first year, been 13 days, but I still consider myself a noob. I can make it down moderate blues just fine, though I have to speed check every now and again. When I get around large crowds I'll either slow down and pass or just go to the side of the trail and wait for 'em all to get farther down the trail. I was at Windham this Saturday for the first time and went down Wedgie which is labeled a blue, but that damn thing had to be a black for the first 3/4s. Especially since it was already a sheet of ice at 11 in the morning with temps above 35°. It took me forever in a day to make it down because I make it a point to not side-slip and in falling-leafing it, I make sure no one is bombing down the hill before I start traversing. Nothing but courteousness.

The first time I ate it coming off the lift was due to a skier turning immediately in front of me while still on the ramp, now was it because they are a skier or because they just have no common sense or courteousness? I'm thinking one of the latter. I now make it a point to tell anyone I don't know on the lift which way I plan on going just to make it clear. Now if after that they still cross in front of me, it's on. I'll give everyone respect until they show they don't deserve it, then I can be an ornery sob.

I got taken for a human bobsled ride one night because a high schooler was going way too fast and not being in control and took me out from behind, he was riding. Again, just no damn common sense.

Maybe it's my southern up bringing or having to deal with hikers while mountain biking, but if you play nice, use some common sense when dealing with people it usually makes it a little easier. But mainly just be aware of your surroundings cause no one else cares about you more than yourself.

D

·
0 Posts
My wife took out the matriarch of a family a couple weeks ago. It was a giant family of all skiers that would do the typical thing large groups do: Stop at the top of the hill, gape, get in everyone's way, and when you finally just barely get around them, they take off only to get in your way further down the hill. My wife hit the old lady who just didn't listen after my wife screamed 'On your right!!!' twice. So my wife slammed into her and took her out (500 points). Little kid up the hill screamed 'Grandma!!!' and rushed over (+20000 points and 1UP right there). I think B.Gilly was there, although I can't remember for sure.
I love your point system!!! :thumbsup: oh and GRANDMA!!! LMAO :laugh::laugh:
Never hear that from a little kid snowboarder!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Grandma got run over by a .........snowboarder?

My wife took out the matriarch of a family a couple weeks ago. It was a giant family of all skiers that would do the typical thing large groups do: Stop at the top of the hill, gape, get in everyone's way, and when you finally just barely get around them, they take off only to get in your way further down the hill.
So this group of gapers was skiing faster than you can ride?:D

My wife hit the old lady who just didn't listen after my wife screamed 'On your right!!!' twice. So my wife slammed into her and took her out (500 points).
Maybe I'm not understanding the situation but this sounds like a serious fail on your wife's part.

So she yelled at the old bag and then took her out. Grams was still the downhill slider. Who knows... her hearing aid battery may have died, she may not have known WTF "on your right" means, or the volume on her skullcandy phones may have been set to 11. Whatever the reason she didn't react in the way your wife desired, it was still your honey's responsibility to not hit her.;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts