Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm sure this isn't the place for this but I wanted to share my joy!!!

(Moderators, please move if needed!!!)

Ok, so I have been going to my local indoor slope since early Feb and sure, I have improved and had some spills along the way but....

On Monday, I went and spent 2hrs just doing my thing, popping off a few small jumps and generally having a good time....

Then (wanting to get my technique right) I asked about coaching...
Well, they have a scheme on Tuesdays called "Life begins" for over 40's well, I just make that so I thought I'd give it a go....
Turns out that I was the only one on it and so I got a private lesson!! :yahoo:

Here's what we worked on...

Riding Switch,
Front leg steering,
Hops/pops traversing the slope,
Strong edge back-up turns,
Tail press,
Ollies,
Riding bumps,
Flatland spins,
and Frontside 180's....
All in regular and switch....

I did have a few MORE spills but one bigger one the has pulled my left Pec' but that will fix....

Anyway, before yesterday, I hadn't tried any of this and by the end of two hrs, I'm confident I can take it out on a regular session and practice away!
Although, I can't say enough how much having a coach has helped!
Not only to give me more to play with but also shows major weaknesses that I know I need to focus on...
Still, a good friend of mine says that pain is weakness leaving the body... BRING ON THE PAIN!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Sounds great. I started when I was 44 years old. This is my second season. It is a lot of fun. "Indoor Slope," where do you live?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like a good time!!
thats the great thing about snowboarding, no matter how good you are there is still other skills out there to work on and try to master
Please don't think I'm good in anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that are born to ride but at the end of the day, if it was that easy for me, I would get bored real quick.

I guess I could plateau but that is a long way off and if it happens, I would be happy just keeping on trying....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds great. I started when I was 44 years old. This is my second season. It is a lot of fun. "Indoor Slope," where do you live?
Sorry, I guess I should update my profile...
I live in Milton Keynes UK.

I am about 3 miles away from the slope and I spend a lot more time on the lift than going down the slope, it's very icy, dirty and grainy but it's a slope.
Oh, and it's quite expensive compared to a day pass on the real thing but next year, I am planning to go to Austria and get the good stuff!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the joy continues!

Oh my!
Last night I had my second coached session for two hrs working on my posture, stance and front leg steering.

I can now look at other people and see exactly what I was doing wrong....
Straight front leg, not doing the right things with my arm and so on...

Anyway, what I wanted to say was this....

After my 2hrs with a coach, I had an extra hr booked so I decided to just let go and have some fun!!!

Playing around with tail presses, flatland spins, small olies and popping of some very, very small jumps and this is where it got funky...

On our slope, we have a jump set up and it's always there, I sit at the top and see the younger guys do some great jumps and wish I could do that... Well my friends, I will not sit on that fence any more! I pulled on my ride and set off down the slope.... Lined up to the ramp and my initial idea was to just ride over it to get a feel for it but no.... I actually took off... For a while.... But it wasn't nice and I landed in the middle of the table at the top and just rode over and down the other side..

On my next run, my coat had seen what I did and was so pumped up at it the she gave me some free advice about setting up for the jump...

So I set off again.. Lined up, checked my speed, at the bottom of the ramp I was down and I went for it, got to the top and released my pop and sucked my legs up spoke with god for a while, landed, checked my speed again and carried on... OMG!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

It was so smooth and perfect!!! Or at least it felt like it... Man! I feel so good about it I can't calm down!!! :yahoo:

I'm still gonna work on the basics but when I do have fun, man! I have something awesome and new to play with....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to add...

My next run was my last so I went for it again, thinking I was an awesome air master and I'm sure you can guess what happened.... Yep, my shoulders were wide open on take off and I crashed on the landing and now I have an amazing weeping graze on my hip!!! Lol...

Impact shorts on way!!!! :dizzy::blink::dizzy::giggle:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never call "last run".
I have a friend at work who was in Canada and he had had two nasty crashes, both times he said "last run"

The very "last run" he dropped off a shelf and suffered a torsional fracture the made his shin bone look like a spring and he lost half the muscle too....
There's a great video on YouTube...

I won't be saying it from now on!!!! :thumbsup:

I think I bailed on the landing because I was still pumped up about nailing it the first time and wasn't concentrating....

Anyway, I'm back on it on Friday.... Wish me luck!!!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Last runs are deadly and I am not superstitious. I sprained my knee on the last run of the last day a year ago. I was a rookie and I naively called, "Last run!!" I immediately slipped on the chair lift ramp and sprained my knee by pulling my foot off the stomp pad.

Look what I did two months ago on a last run. I got slammed by a skier from behind. Dislocated my finger about 200 feet from the parking lot. My finger is still messed up. He destroyed me from behind. I am luck this is the only thing that happened:

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last runs are deadly and I am not superstitious. I sprained my knee on the last run of the last day a year ago. I was a rookie and I naively called, "Last run!!" I immediately slipped on the chair lift ramp and sprained my knee by pulling my foot off the stomp pad.

Look what I did two months ago on a last run. I got slammed by a skier from behind. Dislocated my finger about 200 feet from the parking lot. My finger is still messed up. He destroyed me from behind. I am luck this is the only thing that happened:
Ouch! Being a hockey player, I would've chased that sucker down and taken his head off!!! With my good hand!!! Lol...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... And not having a blast!

Went to my slope again yesterday afternoon with my new impact shorts and almost every jump I hit, no matter how small, I crashed.... My coccyx is telling me to quit! I cracked the back of my head twice (I now have a great headache) and my wrists took a beating too! :icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

The condition was extra crappy, big ice patches all over and just not good but, that doesn't say why nothing was working and now I'm just hurting!!!

Oh well, there's always next week but it's gonna take a while for my body to recover! Maybe I should take a break??? :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
dude killerdave you have me stoked with how enthusiastic you are on this thread.
never give up, you are awesome
Thanks man! I really need to be picked up... :thumbsup::)

I was kicking myself last night after falling so much.. :dizzy:
It's real easy to blame the condition of our slope but maybe I'm riding beyond my skill level....??? :dunno:
After the AWESOME day I had Tuesday, I felt unstopable!... now, not great!!!

I've ordered an edge tool, wax and other stuff to service my board but it's not here yet so I'm going to take it to the store and I know they will give thier best!!! Maybe better edges will help on the icy bits??? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

If I could I would be there every day but it's expensive enough to do as much as I am!!! and I'm not loaded!!!

Anyway, If my ass is better, I will be out again this Tuesday for more coaching so I'll see how that goes.....

I think I need to concetrate on the basics when I ride on a free session but I get too excited about making jumps and when I fall I say "ouch" pick myself up and go again... then fall again...

OMG! I just sneezed and my Coccyx felt like being hit with a hammer!!! :dizzy::dizzy:

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Thanks man! I really need to be picked up... :thumbsup::)

I was kicking myself last night after falling so much.. :dizzy:
It's real easy to blame the condition of our slope but maybe I'm riding beyond my skill level....??? :dunno:
After the AWESOME day I had Tuesday, I felt unstopable!... now, not great!!!

I've ordered an edge tool, wax and other stuff to service my board but it's not here yet so I'm going to take it to the store and I know they will give thier best!!! Maybe better edges will help on the icy bits??? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

If I could I would be there every day but it's expensive enough to do as much as I am!!! and I'm not loaded!!!

Anyway, If my ass is better, I will be out again this Tuesday for more coaching so I'll see how that goes.....

I think I need to concetrate on the basics when I ride on a free session but I get too excited about making jumps and when I fall I say "ouch" pick myself up and go again... then fall again...

OMG! I just sneezed and my Coccyx felt like being hit with a hammer!!! :dizzy::dizzy:
This right here. Stay stoked Dave, but don't forget to execute your basics everytime. You haven't been going long enough for it to become automatic, which means you have to make sure you concentrate on your execution everytime. One thing that helps me a lot is visualizing every step before I do it, and I do that all the time. Sometimes in my sleep even. Also, don't be afraid to take a step back. When you find yourself unable to compently do a maneuver, it's perfectly acceptable to take a step back and work your way back to where you're trying to get.
Your enthusiasm is epic, don't lose that! :yahoo:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! I wish I lived near a mountain with snow all year round!
I am totally stoked on how I've been going and I am putting in effort on the basics but... I am the kind of guy that when I can't nail it when I'm sure I can, I keep going... I know! That didn't work out this time but you are so right Deacon!!!! I should've taken my foot off the gas for a while and nail the stuff I know I can!!! you are also very right about visualising the move! When I nailed the jump the other day I stood at the top of the slope and I could see every move before I made it, when I did it, it was like slo-mo.... What a feeling!!!!

Thanks for the landing advice on landing but I think it's the run in that's the problem, I just wasn't preparing myself... :unsure: resulting in :dizzy:

Anyway, I think I whipped my neck too, stiff as!!!!

Thanks again for all of your advice guys, you are all

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A better day today!

Hi guys,

Well, today was much better! :thumbsup:
Although my body is still hurting I had a much better day!!!
I spent an hour working on correct turning technique and I do believe it is very important to continue to work on the basics....
I could just go to the slope and get from top to bottom happily doing it wrong but a good, clean riding style and technique is the basis of all that follows...

The next two hours I worked on boxes and rails, tail presses, ollies and jumping kickers.... Good and bad with all but I am still very green and I guess when my body isn't fighting me I will be freer to control things :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Anyway, I have my happy face back so all is good!

Thanks again guys! You're all awesome!!!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Hi guys,

Well, today was much better! :thumbsup:
Although my body is still hurting I had a much better day!!!
I spent an hour working on correct turning technique and I do believe it is very important to continue to work on the basics....
I could just go to the slope and get from top to bottom happily doing it wrong but a good, clean riding style and technique is the basis of all that follows...

The next two hours I worked on boxes and rails, tail presses, ollies and jumping kickers.... Good and bad with all but I am still very green and I guess when my body isn't fighting me I will be freer to control things :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Anyway, I have my happy face back so all is good!

Thanks again guys! You're all awesome!!!
That's how it goes when you first start out. Glad to see that you are having fun again.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts