Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Which board for heli trip in Jackson Hole?

• Never Summer 25th Anniversary 158

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 days in Jackson Hole this week, with a day of heli skiing.

What two boards would you bring from my collection:
  • Never Summer Harpoon 156
  • Never Summer 25th Anniversary 158
  • Salomon Dancehaul 152
  • Salomon HPS x Asmo 157 (never ridden)

My thoughts are leaning towards the harpoon for the heli day, but I'm worried it might not have enough float. Definitely not taking the dancehaul on the heli, but it might be fun inbounds. The NS 25 I would think has equal or less float than the harpoon, but less nimble in the trees. The Asmo seems perfect for the heli, but I've never ridden it and honestly prefer the ride of ever Never Summer boards over Salomon for some reason. I'll have a day inbounds before the heli to dial in my ride.

Heli is going for pow and trees, not mountain peak chutes. High Mountain Heli is the company.

I'm 6' and 185lb for reference.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I'm down in Colorado, so take this with a grain of salt. There's not that much snow in the trees right now. Whatever you take on that heli trip might get beaten up pretty good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm down in Colorado, so take this with a grain of salt. There's not that much snow in the trees right now. Whatever you take on that heli trip might get beaten up pretty good.
I'm in Colorado too and I agree coverage is terrible right now. However, I found plenty of powder in the trees at Keystone Saturday so I would think the Heli will be even better. For the cost of the heli I'm not going to worry about board damage over the best ride.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Sorry bud, not trying to derail your thread. You've got a sick quiver! Sounds like you've got some experience on the harpoon but not the Asmo. Maybe ride the Asmo inbounds and see if you like it enough for the heli trip. I haven't seen many reviews of it, let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry bud, not trying to derail your thread. You've got a sick quiver! Sounds like you've got some experience on the harpoon but not the Asmo. Maybe ride the Asmo inbounds and see if you like it enough for the heli trip. I haven't seen many reviews of it, let us know how you like it.
That's the direction I'm leaning too. Maybe test the asmo inbounds day before the heli. Only thing holding me back is wishing I had more experience on the board, and I was planning to sell it since it's still new in the plastic. I don’t think it's cut out for the trees I'm riding in Colorado most of the time.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Demo a board for the heli day conditions you’ll experience instead of guessing at them, or trying to make a board work that may not be optimal. The heli outfitter should be able to provide some direction as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Demo a board for the heli day conditions you’ll experience instead of guessing at them, or trying to make a board work that may not be optimal. The heli outfitter should be able to provide some direction as well
The person I spoke to from the outfitter said they don't snowboard and can't recommend anything, but to bring a powder board which is obvious. All the boards I listed are considered powder boards, except maybe the NS 25.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Of those four my choice would be for the Salomon x Aesmo, nice amount of taper/setback & a good stiffness for heli conditions. That said, I would ride the board you feel most comfortable on, as that will set you up for success, & it sounds like that is the Harpoon for you? Unless you're able to get a few days on the Salomon under your belt. I've made the mistake in the past where I've used a board for a race that I'd never ridden on before, because it had what I thought were the best specs for the conditions, and I would have just been much more suited to ride one of my fav boards that I am used to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of those four my choice would be for the Salomon x Aesmo, nice amount of taper/setback & a good stiffness for heli conditions. That said, I would ride the board you feel most comfortable on, as that will set you up for success, & it sounds like that is the Harpoon for you? Unless you're able to get a few days on the Salomon under your belt. I've made the mistake in the past where I've used a board for a race that I'd never ridden on before, because it had what I thought were the best specs for the conditions, and I would have just been much more suited to ride one of my fav boards that I am used to.
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I should have 1-2 days inbounds to test the Asmo, otherwise I think I'll take the harpoon as a backup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone have thoughts on boots and bindings too? I have either Burton Cartels with Salomon HiFi boots, or Salomon Quantums with Salomon Malamute boots. I'm thinking to use the latter for best response, but the former might be more surfy in the pow?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Asmo hands down - no question. Its built for deep powder ans designed by a powdersurf company. Its wider than an orca and longer than the popular 153. Probably similar float to a 159 orca. Its stiffer then the orca...and rails a carve better then the orca. It does feel slow edge to edge at times and could be a beast in moguls or death cookies but that is not what this board is for and who rides there anyways. I take great pleasure in flattening those moguls down when I am unfortunate enough to run into them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts