Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to post this, if this is in the wrong thread can someone move it please?

Anyways, this year I recently broke my jaw in two different places. This wouldn't of been such a big deal, except that I am not allowed to snowboard w/out a full faced helmet. I got a RG-1(Ruroc), but their largest size did not fit me. I did send an email out to them, and hopefully they reply soon, but I am open to any other options. My head is pretty large, I need a 25in or 26in helmet to fit me properly (Ruroc's largest size is 24in) So if anyone knows of any good helmets that are above 24in in size and can protect my jaw well, then please comment and let me know! Thank you all very much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was thinking about that or a snowmobile helmet or something, but I am worried that it would add too much extra weight and put me off balance. I am looking for something I can still manage to ride in, and hopefully getting some knowledgable answers from people who have used certain helmets before

Also, I don't think a hockey helmet would meet the safety requirements to snowboard in, good idea though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Motocross helmet. Most are designed to work with goggles and you can remove the visor if you'd like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motocross helmet. Most are designed to work with goggles and you can remove the visor if you'd like.
Obviously a safe helmet, but dont you think I will be having weight issues? I mean that helmet has to be very heavy, wouldn't it put me off balance even in a simple turn?

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
I bought a Giro Remedy S at the end of last season ($100 for a $300 helmet - nice!).
Anyway, I haven't worn it snowboarding yet, but I did buy it to protect my jaw/lower face when riding trees or rails.

I tried a Ruroc last year and couldn't get comfortable wearing it.
The Remedy S is AMAZINGLY comfortable!
I got the largest size, and I wear a 7.5" hat.

You may want to look into it.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Is it possible to fabricate a chin guard then rivet it to an existing helmet ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about that or a snowmobile helmet or something, but I am worried that it would add too much extra weight and put me off balance. I am looking for something I can still manage to ride in, and hopefully getting some knowledgable answers from people who have used certain helmets before

Also, I don't think a hockey helmet would meet the safety requirements to snowboard in, good idea though.
My brother snowboarded for awhile with a hockey helmet and it didn't bother him. A hockey helmet is heavier but not that much. You'll forget about the weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My brother snowboarded for awhile with a hockey helmet and it didn't bother him. A hockey helmet is heavier but not that much. You'll forget about the weight.
The next problem is that unless I wear a caged hockey helmet (Wouldnt work too well with goggles) it wont protect my jaw much...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Here is a Giro with a removable jaw section ever try something like this?

how about the type of protections slalom racers use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a Giro with a removable jaw section ever try something like this?

how about the type of protections slalom racers use.

You, sir, are a genius. Any ideas how to deal with the ski racer insults I will get from all my buddies now? (jk) btw nice prof pic.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
hire a local air brush artist to make some cool design and tell your buddies to shut up and give you another one of "their" beers :eusa_clap:

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
My suggestion about the Giro Remedy S didn't work for ya?
Same as the pic above, but the jaw piece is fixed. And it's designed for snowboarders.
(I remove the visor piece though.)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I usually have trouble with helmets as well. I cannot fit into any Sandbox helmets or most Bern helmets, even if they say XL or XXL.

Smith Holt XL did fit for me, however. That is my first recommendation since it's EPS approved.

I also found a Bern Macon XXXL. I think it's a discontinued size or at least I had a lot of trouble finding one. It fit perfectly, but this is a hard hat and not EPS certified.

My main issue with helmets is that my skull is pretty wide, so most helmets pinch the sides of my head to the point that they hurt. That's my reason of going for XL+ helmets. Hopefully my info helps you out abit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts