Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently had a growth spurt, outgrowing my old 152 skate banana, and with the snow season fast approaching I find myself looking at new boards. I have made a couple of posts here so far but have still not made a decision quite yet.

First a little bit about me. I am 16, weighing in at 72kg and am 6 foot 2 tall. The main problem in board choice seems to be my size US13 feet. I consider myself an intermediate rider, and I ride both on the groomed trails and off piste through the trees. I haven't tried the park due to knee problems (and I don't know whether this affects what board I should get) but I do do jump off natural features. I also ride switch, and intend to a fair bit of switch riding the following season, so I'm looking for either a true twin or directional twin board.

So far I've narrowed it down to the following options: The Never summer Proto wide, Never Summer Legacy or Jones Mountain Twin wide

Which of them would best fit my riding style? I've heard good reviews about the jones mountain twin, but am slightly put off by it's directional twin as I'm not sure how it will hold up switch, and having only owned a skate banana I'm unsure about how camber rides comparitively. On top of that, the board is extremely difficult to find for sale online.

I have heard also great reviews on the proto, but some say it is too park-orientated for me. The legacy seems similar, but I am once again unsure about the directional twin shape. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You've narrowed down your search to far, I would add the Prior spearhead in a 166.
Last week you were sold on the Jones and the week before it was the proto and now you're back asking again. So... get the proto it's obviously the board you want and you won't be happy unless you get it; or the Prior.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm posting again because I'm still undecided and still have questions left unanswered. The comments in the other thread going against the proto are made by a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for the brand, and I need more opinions to make a decision. However, The jones mountain twin is still a great board. What are the differences between the rocker/camber combo of the ns and the camber of the jones? What length of board is best for me? Is the jones as durable as the NS(with a 3yr waranty, I figure NS must be pretty reliable), or is that not a problem unless riding on rocks all day? Is the proto really to park focused for me? Does the directional twin of the jones make much difference riding switch compared to the NS. And where online can I buy the wide version of the mountain twi?

·
Registered
196 Posts
not that it really helps your decision but i just bought an NS evo without getting to demo it. much like yourself i was worried about it not performing the way i want it to.

my point in saying this is no one can pick your board for you. people will give you a general idea of the way THEY THINK a board rides but at some point you gotta just pull the trigger on one and if ends up not being what you wanted thats tough luck.

the proto (from what ive seen/heard) is a good quiver of one board that can do it all but wont excel in any one aspect the way other boards that are park/pow/etc oriented.

good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Does anyone know where I can buy the Jones mountain twin 161W that posts to australia? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where in Aus are you? Just picked up a Jones mountain twin 157 from my local in sydney (ESS boardstore parramatta). Guessing they could probably help you out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts