Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a bit weird. The board in question is my Tom Sims Pro (17/18). New to me this season. It traded hands once before me and saw a couple days of snow prior to me owning it. It was delivered to me in near new condition so I'm sure its use was minimal. I have put around 12-15 days on it myself. I imagine under 25 total.

Anyway, when the board is on a flat surface the camber profile at the contact points is not symmetrical. That is to say on the tail of the board the heelside contact point is flush against the surface (in this case my dining room table). The toeside appears elevated, or more substantially rockered. On the nose of the board the toeside makes contact and the heelside does not. Difference is enough that I can slide a piece of paper underneath the elevated points but not the sides making contact with the table. None of my other boards display this variance.

What say you leaders of academia?

pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
The title of this thread made me think you had twisted the core of your body doing some crazy shit. Maybe because I finished watching a Travis Rice vid earlier

Was disappointed when I discovered it was about a bendy board!

Anyway sorry I can't help with that, am on a small phone and can't see the pics very well

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do you think it has been like that since you had it? Maybe the deck cooled unevenly when they took it out of the press. Can you feel that variance when you're riding? It could be kinda cool to have an asym camber profile- I've never heard of that before.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is interesting. I've got way more questions than answers for this one. The core is made of wood, which as a material has some movement to it as it ages. Building with more humidity in the wood leaves more room for this to happen, but coming from the NeverSummer factory in Denver general humidity has got to be pretty low. Another thought is that it twisted cooling from the mold if it cooled unevenly somehow. I'm sure you aren't storing it under an unevenly tensioned load. Weird indeed. That Tom Sims Pro looks like a real carving machine, I'm glad this weird camber tweak doesn't make it unrideable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It looks pretty flat in general as well... are you loading the camber in the pic or is the board sitting static? do you have a pic of the full profile?

Ive only ever seen this on Asym decks. Something must have happened

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@WigMar i myself have kept the board in a room temp environment in my office so it’s not me. I can’t speak for the two previous owners.
@SteezyRidah303 thats unloaded and the camber is quite flat but the profile is “micro camber” so I figured it sure is micro. Pics attached.
Weird thing is the board really rips a carve hard. But it doesn’t spring like camber. Almost behaves like a flat...which it kind of is! Lol
F6F498B8-CD4C-436F-9535-92981AB669D9.jpeg
DF55AB66-01AD-442E-AEEA-6971F55B34F4.jpeg

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
@WigMar i myself have kept the board in a room temp environment in my office so it’s not me. I can’t speak for the two previous owners.
@SteezyRidah303 thats unloaded and the camber is quite flat but the profile is “micro camber” so I figured it sure is micro. Pics attached.
Weird thing is the board really rips a carve hard. But it doesn’t spring like camber. Almost behaves like a flat...which it kind of is! Lol
I'd presumed that it is a directional board, is there a toeside and a heelside? If it is, maybe its pre-twisted/pre-torsioned instead of asym shape? And ya, micro cam is not as lively at full cam.

[QUOTE="MrDavey2Shoes, post: 3388285, member: 163170"
Anyway, when the board is on a flat surface the camber profile at the contact points is not symmetrical. That is to say on the tail of the board the heelside contact point is flush against the surface (in this case my dining room table). The toeside appears elevated, or more substantially rockered. On the nose of the board the toeside makes contact and the heelside does not. Difference is enough that I can slide a piece of paper underneath the elevated points but not the sides making contact with the table. None of my other boards display this variance.

What say you leaders of academia?

pictures attached.
[/QUOTE]

Is there a difference compared to your other boards, ... that when you note "it rips a carve hard"...that initating the turn/carve, that it is easier whether on toe or heel.or is there a bias/preference toe or heel. For me, I have more issues initating toeside than heelside ... so that twist profile might force me to be more dynamic. Or it could be a board that is designed for the heelside turn initating retards/challenged. Or the twist is made for the folks that want to go straight on flat cat tracks..

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@wrathfuldeity those are all very interesting perspectives. I always enjoy reading your thoughts. This board is a directional twin. Twin side cut directional flex and moderately directional shape, no taper. I don’t think the variations are intentional. I’ve noticed that my heel side always takes a second to fully grab at the nose, sort of like turbo lag in a car. Now that I see the lift at that contact point I no longer believe that sensation to be in my head.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
@wrathfuldeity those are all very interesting perspectives. I always enjoy reading your thoughts. This board is a directional twin. Twin side cut directional flex and moderately directional shape, no taper. I don’t think the variations are intentional. I’ve noticed that my heel side always takes a second to fully grab at the nose, sort of like turbo lag in a car. Now that I see the lift at that contact point I no longer believe that sensation to be in my head.
I think you just got a whack/twisted board.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts