Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys get these posts all the time so take it easy on me. My name is Wesley. I live in Arkansas where it's 110 degrees and we get no snow. However, due to some awesome ass circumstances I'm moving to Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

I need advice on what type or boards and bindings I need to be looking at. I'm a complete beginner but I'm not looking to waste money renting. I plan to snowboard several days a week for the entire season. Also I don't want to get a complete beginner board and have to upgrade soon. I'd rather spend a little more up front and have a solid board/boots/bindings I can use for awhile without the need to upgrade as my skills progress. (assuming they will).

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Websites for clothing and gear etc.

I don't know what type of riding I will prefer so am I right in assuming an all mountain board will be a good starting point?

·
Registered
12,606 Posts
Get to Steamboat. Go to the base area, walk up the stairs to Powder Tools. Ask for Bernie and tell him your needs. He will set you up and you'll get introduced to snowboarding properly.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
OP you probably don't realize how much you just got hooked up.

Do what BA says and don't look back.

Steamboat is the sickness grats on getting out of Arkanshit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah me and a friend visited Steamboat this past weekend. Definitely a sick ass little town. I had never heard of it until my buddy got the job offer. Google'd it and we were both sold. With a little luck I'll be there by October.

Will a grand be enough to get me a solid set up as far as jacket/pants/boots/board/bindings?

·
Registered
12,606 Posts
Tell him your budget and he will get you squared away. You just got given the best snowboard shop and best sales guy in that town. Remember to tip him with a man can of pbr.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Get to Steamboat. Go to the base area, walk up the stairs to Powder Tools. Ask for Bernie and tell him your needs. He will set you up and you'll get introduced to snowboarding properly.
We need to send out an APB for BA. Someone has hijacked his account! :laugh:

wfarrar33, forget online. The little bit extra you might pay will be paid back multiple times in dividends. If there was a good LBS here I'd frequent it. But I'm in San Diego. Surfboard shops are dying here. Forget snowboard shops.

Knowing someone cool in town, whose life is probably snowboarding is better than the $30-50 you save.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's definitely true . I was just a little worried that everything would be marked up through the roof in the local shops since there are a lot of tourists. I'll definitely seek out Bernie as soon as I get to town. Hopefully it's a permanent move so having a go to guy that won't BS me will most definitely be worth the little bit I'd save online.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
Go local. Especially if you're new and more so since you've got an recommendation for a good one. Sure, you might pay some bucks more than online, but many reasons to buy local nonetheless. Advice, immediate replacement of little damages, many nice chats, demo boards, more advice. I only buy online if I want an exact certain item my local shop does not have.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I was just a little worried that everything would be marked up through the roof in the local shops since there are a lot of tourists.
And that's a valid concern. I won't pay a shop 25% more just because they're local. But an extra 5% or so for the advice is worth it.

I actually had a local shop in Ontario that was CHEAPER than anything I could find online.

Don't be afraid to haggle a bit to. If you mention to the shop that store X has it online, see what they can do. Quite often they say they can't match it, but even if they met you close to it I'd probably still buy local.

·
Super Moderator
6,339 Posts
People get bent out of shape about paying more here than there, but let's be real -- sometimes we're talking $5. Fine, if you're talking $250 for the bindings in the shop vs $175 online, but that's rarely the case.

But my major motivation for buying anything online is that I usually can't find the item locally. I'm enough of a fan of instant gratification that I'll just buy it if I see it and the price seems reasonable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no problem paying 5-10% more to support local businesses, especially if I'm getting added customer service. Sometimes that can be priceless.

So from a beginners stand point, how big is the performance gap between the $300 range and the $500+ boards?

Also if anyone has been to steamboat springs can you comment on how it compares to other US ski areas?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
So from a beginners stand point, how big is the performance gap between the $300 range and the $500+ boards?
Honestly, very little. That's like asking if a big engine is important to a new driver! Your boots are the biggest piece of important gear, followed by your bindings (they need to be comfortable and easy to use, while still supportive). Almost any properly sized board will be fine to begin on, as long as it's not a wet noodle or 2x6 stiff!

The board is the "coolest" part of a setup, so most people spend so much time thinking about their first board instead of worrying about bindings, good resorts to learn at, lessons, etc.!

Anyway, it's a great sport, so have fun and get more people involved.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I'll tip him with 6 and you with a case if you're ever in steamboat
I have no problem paying 5-10% more to support local businesses, especially if I'm getting added customer service. Sometimes that can be priceless.
We need to have awards for Awesomeness in New Members/Riders and Their First Posts.

Welcome, wfarrar33!

Please stick around; enjoy your time snowboarding!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We need to have awards for Awesomeness in New Members/Riders and Their First Posts.

Welcome, wfarrar33!

Please stick around; enjoy your time snowboarding!
:thumbsup: Thanks... ill definitely stick around and most likely bombard the ones willing to answer with questions haha.

+1, this guy is like the anti-first post douch. We usually get a few good ones every year! :yahoo:
i try to stay as far on the other end of the Douche-Spectrum as possible :laugh:

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,454 Posts
Just try to make them thoughtful, interesting, and do some research first on the questions. You can search thru the forums and see what's happened to others who just jump right in or take stupidly stubborn positions on things! ;)

Many's the noob who's run afoul of BA and some others only to have their ass handed to them! Those are THE most awesomely funny threads around!
Welcome! Enjoy the great gift bestowed upon you by "The Angry One!"
(...it's a boon from the dieties of all things snow!) LOL! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just try to make them thoughtful, interesting, and do some research first on the questions. You can search thru the forums and see what's happened to others who just jump right in or take stupidly stubborn positions on things! ;)

Many's the noob who's run afoul of BA and some others only to have their ass handed to them! Those are THE most awesomely funny threads around!
Welcome! Enjoy the great gift bestowed upon you by "The Angry One!"
(...it's a boon from the dieties of all things snow!) LOL! ;)
Unfortunately those types are on all message boards. Unlike those guys I understand im here looking for help and no one has to take the time to even read my questions let alone answer me. Also im very aware that im dealing with people who know a lot more than i probably ever will about this sport so im definitely grateful for anyone who takes the time to help.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts