Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for 8 years on a K2 Darkstar 157 (2008).
I like fast carving and have experimented with powder. But I also like the flexibility in the K2, but wanted to step it up and also find a board that rides better in powder. I guess I'm in between freeride and all mountain, but doesn't go to the park or jumps at all.
I have been looking at the Jones Flagship and Head The Day 2016-2017.
I would like to maintain the same control in carving and uneaven terrain - also in low speed as the K2 has offered. When I look at the reviews, Jones and Head - are both rated with the same or better ability in carving and uneaven terrain when compared to the K2.
But in most reviews it is stated that the flagship and head do not ride as well in low speed, but won't both the flagship and head perform better in carving and uneaven terrain than my K2? I mean the comparison that is reviewed in the flagship and head is towards other boards in the same league, so the flagship might not be the best for carving and maneuvering in lower speed in its league, but it will never the less perform better than the K2 Darkstar? Or what are your experiences?
And if I go for the flagship or the Head - which size should I choose coming from the K2 157?
Cheers
M

·
The Swiss Miss
7,380 Posts
To you, comming from a soft freestyle board, the torsionally very stiff Flagship will not feel like a step up but rather like a shock. (Dunno the Head).

Look for a medium-stiffish flex freeride board.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Seems like a good fit for something like a Never Summer The West or Capita BSOD. More suited for what you're describing, but still relatively flexible and freestylish.

Agree with neni on the Flagship. Not sure on The Day. Cool shape, but I know nothing about the rode of that board.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd look at some stuff from Never Summer. IF you're looking at just a pow specific board then the Swift might fit your bill and then take your K2 out on non-pow days.

I purchased the NS 25th anniversary in 158 this year and so far it's a pretty good all around board that can destroy groomers and chunder but also floated quite well overall in the 2 foot + powder day we had on Copper yesterday. It's definitely stiffer than your board but not as stiff as the Flagship.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To you, comming from a soft freestyle board, the torsionally very stiff Flagship will not feel like a step up but rather like a shock. (Dunno the Head).

Look for a medium-stiffish flex freeride board.
Ok thanks - but how much a shock do you think it would be - wouldn't it be possible to adjust my riding after some runs?

I talked with one guy and he said:
"Grip is great, best of any board I've ever ridden, and I've found it easier to carve with and holds an edge better than the Burton Triumph I had come from. IIRC the Darkstar was quite a forgiving board, nice and stable, softish. The Flagship will certainly be stiffer than that, but it's not so stiff that you can't torque the board nicely through the turn to control the bite. It's nice and light and it floats well, although its not some 'magic wand' and can feel a little 'twitchy' if you get lazy, but I guess you can say that about a lot of boards aimed at that bit of the market, but if you're willing to commit to the riding and take the thing by the scruff of the neck, you'll get a lot out of it."

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I think what he's trying to say is that it isn't a lifeless plank. Some super stiff boards can ride that way. They're so stiff that they just feel like they're just there, they don't really give you any feedback and they're a bear to throw around. He's right that the Flagship isn't that.

But, he's speaking like a guy who has ridden some pretty stiff, pretty aggressive boards. What neni was trying to warn you is that the Flagship will be a huge departure from what you're currently on. It's way stiffer and way more aggressive.

The best thing to do would be to demo if possible.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I guess I'm in between freeride and all mountain, but doesn't go to the park or jumps at all.
M
The flagship is a full on freeride board so if you classify yourself as inbetween, you might want to look at a few other boards. I absolutely love my carbon flagship, but then again I also don't touch groomers after the first 2 hours unless I have to.

If I were you I'd look towards a slightly more forgiving board than the Flagship, something leaning more to the all-mountain side. If you wanna stick with Jones maybe take a look at the explorer or the mountain twin. But personally if I were you I'd probably get a Burton Skeleton Key.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Yes you can adjust your riding, it's just snowboarding. Build a quiver! Don't get boards that overlap each other. I say go for the stiff board it will most likely make you a better rider, and I'm willing to bet your K2 will get demoted to rock board. If you absolutely hate it well at least you learned something.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,380 Posts
Ok thanks - but how much a shock do you think it would be - wouldn't it be possible to adjust my riding after some runs?

I talked with one guy and he said:
Ah well :) I absolutely agree with the guy, it's also the best board I have ridden as well. But I've ridden many years on stiffish freeride boards before, and it sounds as if the guy did as well. So it was not a zero to full on step like it would be for you. Sure, the Flag is no monster, you can ride it, I just doubt that you'll enjoy it as much as when you'd get a bit a more forgiving freeride deck to step up in that kind of riding.

Demo one for a day, on the perfect morning groomers as well as through mogul fields, and you'll quickly see if it fits, if you like to work as much cos you will have to work, even (or even more so) if you have good technique. It's sort of a race horse, doesn't like to go slow and one doesn't want to go slow anyway, the more aggressive you ride, the more it shines... but is this what you want/aim at? You'll see that you rather call it a day early, well... I do. I only ride long days if there's pow all day. On groomers? If too crowded? Too many skiers pizza through mogul fields? Naw thanks. Either I have the space to charge n carve wide turns or I'm in the après ;).

If you absolutely want a Jones... IIRC, @chomps1211 is now happy with his Explorer after trying the Flag and not really liking it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK - thanks a lot guys.
I'll try the Flagship for a demo ride when possible, but will not buy that board right away. I do need to buy a board as my K2 haven't survived storage/rust.
I have heard all your concerns and recommedations and right now I am looking at Arbor Coda Camber Premium or Flow Rush - both seems more flexible and more away from the pure freeride and towards all mountain. Any one know these boards?

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts