Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking to get my first board and would appreciate input/suggestions. I'm a 25 yo, 5'0, 120lb female. This is my first season riding, but am picking it up quickly. I did water-sports growing up and I think that helped train me how to find my balance. I live in New England and will spend most of my time at one of the smaller mountains in Mass. The boards I'm thinking about are:

2014 Rome Heist 142 $209
2014 Flow Venus 139 $160
2014 K2 Spot Lite 144 $250 (I'm leaning towards one of the other two because of price, unless there is a reason this one is better specifically).

Would these boards work for me? Which would you suggest?

TIA!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Breeze, welcome! My wife is about your size and I got her started out on a Gnu B Nice. Its worth a look is a great beginner board also has magna traction, and if you look you should be able to find a new last year model for somewhere in the $200 range. A 145 or 148 probably would be a good size for you.... Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
For your weight and as a beginner, I should shoot for mid 140s. As you get better and figure out what you like to do on the mountain (freeride or freestyle), you can adjust the sizing. The 139 you listed would be too small. Boot size also comes into play for board size. Have you tried on or purchased boots? Do you know your size? Snowboard boots don't necessarily equate to street shoe size. Those you should get fitted in store.

As for specific boards, I don't have much experience/knowledge out of the few boards I've ridden - so I'll defer that to someone who can toss you some quality options. I do like my Never Summer Infinity though. Not sure how that would do for a beginner. Roxy and Gnu make some great beginner boards.

·
Shred Monster
1,192 Posts
Hey Breeze, welcome! My wife is about your size and I got her started out on a Gnu B Nice. Its worth a look is a great beginner board also has magna traction, and if you look you should be able to find a new last year model for somewhere in the $200 range. A 145 or 148 probably would be a good size for you.... Good luck and have fun!
I'll second the GNU B-Nice to start on :) My friend absolutely loves it! The magnetraction will be great for what i hear to be an icey east coast (great edge hold). Its a super fun, playful, lightweight and easy turn initiations. You might go with a 145 but I'm just suggesting. I'm 5'5 125 and ride 148 as a reference point. I'm not familiar with the other boards you listed so i can't comment there. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't find a 2014 GNU B-Nice in my size, unfortunately :sad2:. The magna traction does sound great, but I just am not in the position to pay for the 15 model right now. The Rome Heist also has some edge tech, so do you think that would be a next-best?
For your weight and as a beginner, I should shoot for mid 140s. As you get better and figure out what you like to do on the mountain (freeride or freestyle), you can adjust the sizing. The 139 you listed would be too small. Boot size also comes into play for board size. Have you tried on or purchased boots? Do you know your size? Snowboard boots don't necessarily equate to street shoe size. Those you should get fitted in store.
Thanks for the info! I had looked up the size chart for the flow venus 139, and it said 139 was through 140 on evo, but based on other boards, that does sound sort of high. I wonder if it's a typo. I do already have boots. I've been using my buddy's board so far, but got tired the uncomfortable rental boots, so I took the plunge on those already, haha. I'm a size 6 (well, 5.5 but the kind I got must run small) :smile:.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know nothing about the rome... I did however just do a quick search on eBay and there are a few 2014 gnu b nice boards in the 145 148 size on there for a decent price... also there should be a Roxy board thats basically the same thing as the b nice given they are made in the same factory... good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts