Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding 22 years, get about 30-40 days a season, advanced/expert abilities. I've never been on a split before (I can ski tho), and given my love of exploring the mountains in the summer; hiking, scrambling, and climbing, I think it's well past time to get one so I can combine the two in the winter.

I'm a freestyle minded freerider, so a board that is directional, but can handle some switch riding is ideal. At least enough to comfortably ride up to a drop switch, or land switch without needing to insta-revert. I definitely want a board that feels like regular snowboard as much as possible, I'm willing to sacrifice a little of the ski mode ability (if I must), to have a good ride mode.

After browsing a bit have my eye on the Aplid Milligram split, Slash Brain Storm, and perhaps the Capita Neo Slasher. I'd love some other options or input what splits you're loving.

I want a good all a rounder, something that can handle steeper terrain, but still maneuverable in the trees. It's gotta float too obv!

My current quiver consists of a 155cm, 19/20 Capita Mercury daily driver (fn love this thing!), a 154cm 17/18 Jones Mind Expander for deep days in the trees, and like 4 others that get limited use for variety and special conditions terrain. I'm 173cm 68kg (5'8" 150lbs).

What splits are you guys loving/hating, hook a brother up with some recommendations.

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Prior has the wildcard split but maybe it is a little TOO far into the freestyle side of things for you. Ive only ridden the bc from them so I couldnt comment on how it rides.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The slash is prolly fine, doubt gigi ruf would make a board without some freestyle in mind. Setback stance is enough to make directional float.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Where do you plan on riding this split primarily, in what conditions do plan on mostly riding in on this split, and on what type of terrain to you mostly plan on riding with this split?

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
I'd recommend looking with the caveat of going AT boots; especially since you ski and could you could tele split. Definitely with something of an S profile for all around. Have an old Amplid Creamer but I don't do much switch. The new Surf Shuttle looks quite fetching. And another would be the Weston Backwoods.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'd recommend looking with the caveat of going AT boots; especially since you ski and could you could tele split. Definitely with something of an S profile for all around. Have an old Amplid Creamer but I don't do much switch. The new Surf Shuttle looks quite fetching. And another would be the Weston Backwoods.
I also like S camber. Signal Tailgunner Split.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

I'll primarily be riding in the Canadian Rockies, but I also spend a fair amount of every second winter in Japan, so a wide range. One of the reasons I want a good all around board since I'm not quite ready to build a split quiver.

I can ski, but these are skills from childhood. I don't actively ski anymore, and I'm not interested in hard boots. I know they are probably better for touring, but I'm prioritizing the downhill. I'm happy to be shown wrong but hard boots and freestyle currently seem incompatible.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Jones Solution. Amplid Milligram is a great choice too. I would also look at the Weston Range, and if you are looking for something stiffer, the 10th Mountain. I'm also really curious about the Weston Hatchet split. It looks like it would be a ton of fun in powder and trees and dropping off natural features in the bc, but I have never ridden it or talked to someone who has, so I can't really recommend it. Just looks like a cool board. I own the Weston Backwoods myself, but you sound like you are looking for something more twinish that can be ridden switch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So guys... I went in another direction and checked out Cardiff Snowcraft. My best buddy actually turned me onto them last week. I could only find good words about them, and their design philosophy hooked me. Beyond the design, what really sold me is that when I called them up to ask some questions, the owner himself answered, I clearly caught him in the middle of something, and happily took time to help me understand his boards. Soooo, my buddy got the Powgoda 158 (which I was also my 1st choice lol), and I picked up a 154 Crane because it also sounded amazing and to mix it up for us.

Might be taking a little bit of a chance here going with a lesser known company, but I help out a smaller brand a little, and maybe stumble onto something amazing in the process. Stoked to try it out either way.

·
Registered
946 Posts
So guys... I went in another direction and checked out Cardiff Snowcraft. My best buddy actually turned me onto them last week. I could only find good words about them, and their design philosophy hooked me. Beyond the design, what really sold me is that when I called them up to ask some questions, the owner himself answered, I clearly caught him in the middle of something, and happily took time to help me understand his boards. Soooo, my buddy got the Powgoda 158 (which I was also my 1st choice lol), and I picked up a 154 Crane because it also sounded amazing and to mix it up for us.

Might be taking a little bit of a chance here going with a lesser known company, but I help out a smaller brand a little, and maybe stumble onto something amazing in the process. Stoked to try it out either way.
They seem very legit. I checked them out myself. Post pics!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts