Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey-

-I live in Portland OR; mostly on Mt. Hood, sometimes Bachelor. I stay away from the park, I'm too old and afraid to sustain some awful injury. Powder, through the trees a bit, I really just like to cruise on piste. Maybe a tiny jump here and there.
-170lbs, 5'10", feet 10.5, 35yo
-I am an intermediate rider, but probably more towards the beginner end of the spectrum rather than the advanced.
-I've never owned a snowboard, only borrowed friends' or rented.
-Burton Ruler boots

So, I have found some good deals out there from last season. I have a limited budget. What do you think? Anything else I should consider?

K2 Turbo Dream; Rome Tour; Burton Process Flying V; K2 Raygun

Are there other good boards from libtech or Yes or something else for me?

It seems to me I want a playful, camber all-mountain board for free-riding that leaves me some room to grow my skills into.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I think the K2 Raygun or YES Basic would be a good first choice. Their good, cheaper boards. How long have you been riding, you know if you prefer a more camber or rocker feel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the K2 Raygun or YES Basic would be a good first choice. Their good, cheaper boards. How long have you been riding, you know if you prefer a more camber or rocker feel?
Thinking back, I've gone snowboarding probably 4-5 days a year for the last 15 years! But the last few years I've gone more, and really turned a corner as far as skill level and feeling pretty comfortable. Sadly I've just never put the money into equipment, just wanted to go out and have a good time. Given that, I am not sure about camber vs rocker, but from reading it seems like I'm probably looking for camber.

Thanks bro!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Bullshit, that board carves like a beast. Further proof the Good Ride doesn't know shit aboht anything other than getting free product.

Ultra is a great choice.
Agreed, Ultra is an excellent deck.

TGR started out as clueless, but these days they are basically frauds.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Angry Snowboarder (our own Burton Avenger) has a review on the Ultra Dream you may wish to read.
Does sound like it would be a good choice for you.

hktrdr, quite the statement about TGR.
What makes you call them "frauds"?
(I have no axe here, just curious why you make that statement.)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My guess is their "reviews" done based solely on specs and marketing material despite stating they rode the equipment. Also some of their reviews are not even based in reality. I believe they reviewed rome mobs and 390s and determined the mobs to be substantially stiffer than the 390s.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
My guess is their "reviews" done based solely on specs and marketing material despite stating they rode the equipment. Also some of their reviews are not even based in reality. I believe they reviewed rome mobs and 390s and determined the mobs to be substantially stiffer than the 390s.
Pretty much that. TheGoodRide started off as a group of friends posting personal reviews/opinions. Not always well-informed but generally ok. Then they discovered that they could get free gear (plus website advertising and commissions) and they realised that more reviews -> more viewers -> more money and more free gear. So they started churning out ridiculous reviews about gear that they had never or hardly ridden by copy&paste, regurgitating the brochures, or simply making shit up.
As a result, their so-called 'reviews' are hugely inaccurate, mistake-riddled piles of shit these days.

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
Agreed, Ultra is an excellent deck.

TGR started out as clueless, but these days they are basically frauds.
Ugh The Good Ride, what a bunch of tools.

You would be correct. People get too caught up in the "I get free shit" mindset and forget why they should be doing it.

I met the owner/founder of TGR 2 years ago at Snowbasin for the Inter mountain WWSRA demo and talk about a fucking tool. He was taking out a Signal Epic to "test how good a pow stick it was" it was 45 degrees, bluebird, and no fresh snow had been reported in a week. Can you imagine how accurate that review was? On top of that some of the shit coming out of the guys mouth was just so over the top I was like wtf. Dudes just not right.

To answer the OP's questions I would go with the Raygun at the level you're at I think it'll be a board you'll feel comfortable on now and can grow with as you progress, plus at the current price of a last years model it won't break your bank and you can invest the saved cash on getting more days on the hill.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I was just starting out last year and tried a 2009 Burton x8. Then went to a process Flying V. Then went to a libtech TRS.

The TRS was by far the best out of those three. Great edge hold. Good in powder. And turn intimation was awesome. That board REALLY professed my riding fast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts