Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I need some advice in terms of front leg pain. My front quad is killing me a few hours into riding. The pain only comes on heel side turns, or if I’m standing looking down the hill on my heel side. Toe side is fine. I think maybe my stance is too wide. I have a 161 NS SL, I’m 6’3 but have the stance maxed out. It feels nice in the beginning of the day but the front quad muscle burns by midday.

Any recommendations or other ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
What's your actual stance width and angles? How's your technique? Do you bend at the waist and lean into a heelside turn, or do you properly lift the toes up, bend the knees and hips (squat), and keep your chest up/shoulders back?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Could be too wide, not enough highback support, or riding too much in the backseat. Could also be some muscle issues, but those 3 should ease the pain anyways.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's your actual stance width and angles? How's your technique? Do you bend at the waist and lean into a heelside turn, or do you properly lift the toes up, bend the knees and hips (squat), and keep your chest up/shoulders back?
I lift my toes, that’s what makes it hurt. Angles are 18/-9, 25in stance. I’m gonna try to push in the bindings by one position and see if that makes a difference. Maybe ease up on angles too, by a few degrees.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be too wide, not enough highback support, or riding too much in the backseat. Could also be some muscle issues, but those 3 should ease the pain anyways.
I dunno if I rode back seat my back leg should hurt. I’m centered or leaning forward, I’m positive on that and high back does have forward lean on it set up. I think it’s too wide and I’m working extra hard to initiate turns with front foot and leaning forwards and bring centered. That’s my hunch

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
I lift my toes, that’s what makes it hurt.
Lifting your toes hurts your quads? Nothing in your shins? Or lifting your toes as you squat down into a heelside turn hurts your quads?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is your upper body rotated?
Need a video to tell what's happening.
I was thinking of that but I don’t think so. At least I don’t feel like it is, because I was focusing on that. I feel like I have to use more force to engage that front leg, be forward at the start of the turn, and because the stance is so wide it just fatigues/kills my legs.
Would this make sense?

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
When you go in a hole on the bindings, change your angles a bit too. 18/-6 or 15/-9....

I would bet you just aren't very flexible and the position hurts.

Do some yoga.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I dunno if I rode back seat my back leg should hurt. I’m centered or leaning forward, I’m positive on that and high back does have forward lean on it set up. I think it’s too wide and I’m working extra hard to initiate turns with front foot and leaning forwards and bring centered. That’s my hunch
Ye I just mixed up the front leg and front quad thing, it's usually on the back leg you feel it first. Agree that it's probably the too wide part that's causing a problem. If there's no real pain on the front foot or the knees, angles should be fine, but they can vary some on stance width aswell.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Usually i feel pain on the front leg when I use a stiffer board with a lower angle than +15 but i use a normal stance. if you ride on a very wide stance, you can also feel pain on the front leg no matter the board or the angle.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you go in a hole on the bindings, change your angles a bit too. 18/-6 or 15/-9....

I would bet you just aren't very flexible and the position hurts.

Do some yoga.
Maybe you’re right. I did a measurement, from heel to knee cap and it’s about 22.5in. My old stance was 25, I brought both bindings inwards one notch to 23.5in. Will see how it goes.
I’ve had 25in stance for a few seasons now and it feels stable, my legs would hurt at the end of the day but not like yesterday. I was in huge pain. First time out this season and the front quad was so painful. I did ride a lot and I’ve had pain before there, just thought I needed to get my boarding legs back but this was too much.

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
Maybe you’re right. I did a measurement, from heel to knee cap and it’s about 22.5in. My old stance was 25, I brought both bindings inwards one notch to 23.5in. Will see how it goes.
I’ve had 25in stance for a few seasons now and it feels stable, my legs would hurt at the end of the day but not like yesterday. I was in huge pain. First time out this season and the front quad was so painful. I did ride a lot and I’ve had pain before there, just thought I needed to get my boarding legs back but this was too much.
I was thinking you simply need to make some adjustments as well. Try to consciously think of where your foot wants to be or change things one at a time like stance width first and then angle next time so you can keep track of the changes and isolate certain variables.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Narrow your stance and adjust your bindings angles to +15/-9, but narrow the stance around 21", sorry, how tall are you?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,596 Posts
How much fwd lean have your high backs? How much trainig have your legs?
Being forced into a fwd position in early season when myscles aint used to riding yet can make your muscles fatigue.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How much fwd lean have your high backs? How much trainig have your legs?
Being forced into a fwd position in early season when myscles aint used to riding yet can make your muscles fatigue.
I thought about the highback fwd lean today and went back 1 notch but still think main culprit is too wide a stance. Just standing on my board strapped in with a narrower stance felt more comfortable, but hope it’ll be the same riding it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts