Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for my first board to buy. I have ridden in two different season on rented boards about a total of 20 full days of snowboarding and now would like to go snowboarding as much as I can. I would say I am a beginner / intermediate rider, I am able to control my speed well,hit small jumps and ride all blues and a few more mellow blacks but still uncomfortable in those way steeper rides. Last time riding was starting to learn how to carve properly. I am looking for a board that I can progress with and would like it to have magne-traction since the conditions where I ride are usually icy.
I am looking for a all mountain freestyle board that I can explore the entire mountain in every condition, hit some smaller jumps, learn to carve in it that is not too stiff so I can try to learn some butter tricks and play around. Now at this time I will only be able to have one board and would like to ride everything with it, so it would have to be a quiver of one.
I am 5'11 and 169lbs with my foot size 27,4 cm (regular shoe size US 9.5) width 9.5cm

Currently I am between a 155 or 158 GNU t2b and a 156 2019 attack banana. I liked the idea of the c2e camber profile being less catchy.

Also if anyone has any other boards they recommend for all mountain riding I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I love the Mervin C2e boards for beginners and freestyle, but I think intermediates progress faster on a camrock or full camber board. Those boards you've picked out will work out great for you if you're into the C2E but potentially might allow bad habits to develop. That said, you'd be happy with either.

The typical favorites for versatile all-mountain boards are Jones Mountain Twin, Burton Custom, Rome National, Yes Typo, Capita Mercury, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I love the Mervin C2e boards for beginners and freestyle, but I think intermediates progress faster on a camrock or full camber board. Those boards you've picked out will work out great for you if you're into the C2E but potentially might allow bad habits to develop. That said, you'd be happy with either.

The typical favorites for versatile all-mountain boards are Jones Mountain Twin, Burton Custom, Rome National, Yes Typo, Capita Mercury, etc.
Thanks for your reply! About developing bad habits you are talking about not managing the edges properly? I was concerned having a more traditional camber would be too aggressive for a low intermediate. What do you think about Mervin C2x profile for me, I was earlier considering the GNU Riders Choice or the Finest only dismissing those boards because of the more aggressive hybrid camber profile. Do you think those board would suit better?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Thanks for your reply! About developing bad habits you are talking about not managing the edges properly? I was concerned having a more traditional camber would be too aggressive for a low intermediate. What do you think about Mervin C2x profile for me, I was earlier considering the GNU Riders Choice or the Finest only dismissing those boards because of the more aggressive hybrid camber profile. Do you think those board would suit better?
Thanks!
First off, Nivek has ridden all the things so listen to him.

Second, that's exactly what I mean. The C2 boards are very forgiving of mistakes which is great if you're trying to get the hang of it but later on you won't get that feedback to know when you're doing something wrong. But none of that matters if you're trying to have a good time instead of improving as fast as possible, and if you're feeling like you'd have more fun and ride more on a forgiving board then that's the right board for you. If you're a 10 day a year rider and will always be a 10 day a year rider you don't need an aggressive board.

Personally I don't think the Riders Choice or Finest are particularly aggressive boards but I'm heavier than you and ride at speeds where I'd certainly die if I hit something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get the Attack. Great board to progress with that wont hold you back ever.
Thanks for your reply Nivek I will probably get that one. Have you tried the gnu Finest it seems like an excellent choice also? What do you think of that board for what I intent?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, Nivek has ridden all the things so listen to him.

Second, that's exactly what I mean. The C2 boards are very forgiving of mistakes which is great if you're trying to get the hang of it but later on you won't get that feedback to know when you're doing something wrong. But none of that matters if you're trying to have a good time instead of improving as fast as possible, and if you're feeling like you'd have more fun and ride more on a forgiving board then that's the right board for you. If you're a 10 day a year rider and will always be a 10 day a year rider you don't need an aggressive board.

Personally I don't think the Riders Choice or Finest are particularly aggressive boards but I'm heavier than you and ride at speeds where I'd certainly die if I hit something.
[/QUOT
Thank you for your help! I will definitely Niveck's opinion.
Unfortunately I live in a country without snow so I wont be able to have more then 20 days year I with I could go more, so probably I should go for something less aggressive. I am now between the attack bannana or the finest.
Thanks for your help!!
Does anyone have any other suggestion or indication?

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Thank you for your help! I will definitely Niveck's opinion.
Unfortunately I live in a country without snow so I wont be able to have more then 20 days year I with I could go more, so probably I should go for something less aggressive. I am now between the attack bannana or the finest.
Thanks for your help!!
Does anyone have any other suggestion or indication?
I used to own a Finest before the name change and it's a fantastic all-mountain board with a freestyle focus and floats surprisingly well in powder. But it sounds like you're better off with the Attack Banana for what you want to do. You probably won't notice a difference between that and a Finest unless you encounter powder where the Attack Banana will float a little better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts