Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I've been researching and watching a ton of reviews on a few boards and I still just can't decide what is the best fit for me... I think I've narrowed it down to the Jones Mountain Twin, Ultra Mountain Twin, Flagship, or even the Frontier. A little background on what I'm looking for:

I've been riding for about 20 years but only about 15-20 days per season. Being from Delaware, I've stuck to the east coast mostly...PA, NY, NH, VT, etc.
I've been riding nothing but super stiff, cambered or flat boards. My current setup is a 2014 K2 Slayblade, NOW Drives, and K2 T1 boots, size 12. I also have a K2 Zeppelin I don't really ride much anymore but rode it for years. I'm 210 lbs 6'3"...

Anyway...the past 2 years i've ventured out to Utah and CO and saw great conditions...nothing like I've ever experienced on the East coast...Nothing major to most of you but I'm talking 12"+ of fresh snow each night I stayed. I found myself just loving it in the trees, bowls, off trail, etc. I'm traveling with the new girl, and while she's still learning, I venture off and do my own thing. I've got a few more trips planned this year to Utah, Idaho, and Whistler.

The K2 Slayblade is a straight groomer charger. I can point that thing straight and just fly. No chatter, it just busts through any crud in its way. It does OK in powder, but it's really a beast to turn quickly in the trees. I stay out of the park for the most part. I'm looking for a board that can still straightline it on groomers and feel stable, but maybe something a little better powder, maneuvering in glades. My local shop has the Mountain Twin and Frontier in 164W and I can get 10% off. Otherwise, I could just order the other two if that's what I ultimately decide. After reading reviews I feel like the Mtn Twin and Frontier are more for progressing riders and I might be past that. Some said they were more flexible and therefore had more chatter at high speeds and were not as damp...that's what had me looking more towards the Ultra twin or Flagship. I'm kinda set on a Jones board but I'll take any suggestions...I was actually looking at a Ride Mtn Pig as well but I digress.

Thoughts, opinions...?

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Honestly my thoughts don't really go to a Jones for you. Great boards, just don't quite make what you're really describing.

Rome Blur, Weston 10th, Yes PYL, Arbor Annex, Lib Lost Rocket, Ride Berzerker.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I'll second the Lib x Lost Rocket recommendation. Perfect board for large feet and the riding you describe. The only thing it's not great at is switch and park, so if you're not doing those I doubt you'll ride anything else after getting on one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Lib Rocket doesn't look too bad but I don't know about the rocker between the bindings...have any of you personally been on one? I had a never summer Legacy for one season that I hated because it felt squirlley between the feet. It was sketchy at high speeds and felt very pivoty in the middle.

The Arbor Annex was def a board i was looking at but not sure if I want to pony up the $700 for it... Beautiful board though... Also looking at the Jones Mercury bindings just so i don't have to swap my drives back and forth. I guess i could to save money...

Jon

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly my thoughts don't really go to a Jones for you. Great boards, just don't quite make what you're really describing.

Rome Blur, Weston 10th, Yes PYL, Arbor Annex, Lib Lost Rocket, Ride Berzerker.
You certainly know your boards man. I've looked at all the ones you recommended and I'm kinda diggin the Rome Blur (VT made?), the Annex (which i already had on my radar) and the Lib Rocket. I'm wondering which one I'd like more now... Do you think one would handle hard pack groomers/ice better than the other...in case I take it to VT and end up with a shitty icy day. But also something I can take to UT and hit black bowls and trees with.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If your slayblade is still kicking keep that for your shitty/ice days and look for something with a little rocker in the nose. I don't have experience with those board but if chatter is something your concerned with I'd steer clear of super light carbon lay up boards. I have a board with c3 and it does not ride like a rocker dominate board, really you almost never notice the reverse camber. I find on my board at least, it adds a natural flex point which is nice when manipulating the side cut to adjust a turn mid turn.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
You certainly know your boards man. I've looked at all the ones you recommended and I'm kinda diggin the Rome Blur (VT made?), the Annex (which i already had on my radar) and the Lib Rocket. I'm wondering which one I'd like more now... Do you think one would handle hard pack groomers/ice better than the other...in case I take it to VT and end up with a shitty icy day. But also something I can take to UT and hit black bowls and trees with.
The Blur will be the most powerful, the Rocket the most damp, and the Annex the most precise. All will serve your purposes well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I rode my new Rome Blur about 30 days last winter. I have three others to choose from but for predominantly piste riding this was always my board of the day. I'm not powerful but I find the Blur nimble and fantastic for carving, holds an edge on very firm snow and has better grip on icy days than my Rossi Jibsaw with magnetraction. Only used it off piste a few times but it was fine even though there isn't much nose lift/width, in chunder I did nearly go over the handlbars a couple of times because of the decceleration as the nose plowed through the lump.
It's fery light too but the topsheet is a bit fragile in lift queues.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rode my new Rome Blur about 30 days last winter. I have three others to choose from but for predominantly piste riding this was always my board of the day. I'm not powerful but I find the Blur nimble and fantastic for carving, holds an edge on very firm snow and has better grip on icy days than my Rossi Jibsaw with magnetraction. Only used it off piste a few times but it was fine even though there isn't much nose lift/width, in chunder I did nearly go over the handlbars a couple of times because of the decceleration as the nose plowed through the lump.
It's fery light too but the topsheet is a bit fragile in lift queues.
Where did you buy yours? Doesnt look like many places carry it. Do you just order straight from Rome? Their website blows...not much info on the board as far as materials, base, width, etc. It says they are from VT, but if you look at shipping times washington state is 1 day and east coast is 6 days...which makes me think they are made in WA?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Should be able to find stats at evo at least, think they had some spredsheat on the rome pages before. Could ask them in chat too. The other tech info is extensive. Boards are probably in a warehouse in vancouver or something after being made. Can't remember if it's china, uae, austria or tunis.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone ridden the Annex yet? Or have pics up close? I'd have to order online...no shops have in stock.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Pulled the trigger on the Annex and some Burton Malavita Leathers. Debated going with another pair of Now bindings or the Jones Mercury (same thing), but have had back luck with their buckles and straps...heard nothing but good things about the comfort and reliability of the Burton straps.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
That's gonna be a really solid setup. The leathers are IMO better than the normal straps. The Annex is like if the Guch Camber went to the gym for a year and did a bunch of functional strength training, yoga, and speed work.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's gonna be a really solid setup. The leathers are IMO better than the normal straps. The Annex is like if the Guch Camber went to the gym for a year and did a bunch of functional strength training, yoga, and speed work.
I think I made the right choice...the Annex was $100 more than others I was looking at but I think the artwork alone is worth that... Hopefully I like the Vitas...never rode Burton bindings before and although I love the feel of the NOWs, the straps and buckles leave a lot to be desired. Every time I stop on the mountain, i'm loosening the ankle strap to relieve some foot pain...and i've broken the toe buckle twice now. I've seen several threads on here where people buy the NOWs and replace the straps and buckles with Burtons lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Lib Rocket doesn't look too bad but I don't know about the rocker between the bindings
I coming from a similar situation as you. Been riding stiff, long camber boards and still wanted to bomb down the hill but wanted a looser, more forgiving, more playful board as well.

I wouldn't buy the Lib Tech until you demo'd a board with the hybrid and magne traction.

I ended up on a GNU Anti Gravity C3.
If you're still considering a Lib Tech find my thread about that board and the issues that I was having. I don't hate the board there's a lot of things I like about it except for what I described in that thread.

I wish it was easy and reasonable price to demo boards it's so tough committing so much money to something you haven't tried.

Good luck, I hope you love your board.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've never considered any CRC board for myself but I do like the look of the Lost Rocket. If you watch a table top review you will barely be able to see any rocker in the centre, or any magnetraction either for that matter, just looks like regular camber with the slightest flat spot in the middle.

Only trouble is they cost the equivalent of US$700 over here and there is only one retailer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts