Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Cool forum!

Got a question.

Is there a general consensus on what the best bindings for kids are?

I have an 8 year old girl who wants to try snowboarding and got a new Burton Chicklet 110 for her Birthday. Now I need to pick up some boots & bindings.

I ask this question because I don’t want her to burn out and not like the sport so want to make it as easy and fun for her first time out and going forward without problems.

So to wonder if a flow like the Micron binding is best or step in?

Just for the record I got a gut feeling strap in bindings would be difficult for her and would kill the deal.

Thoughts?

TIA.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Get the freestyle junior one strap if her foot is small enough or the freestyle junior two strap if her foot is a size 2 or 3 that is a boys size boot :dunno: not sure how girls sizing goes.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
I'd say regular bindings, or the step in bindings, flows have their own set of issues for a newbie to deal with. The priority is fun, get her some lessons...preferably get her is 6-8 weeks of sat or sunday group lessons so that she can meet others her age...hell take a wagon load of her friends up...I think the learning in a peer group thing works than only with a parent. With my daughter who started at 7, we did the 8 weeks of saturday morning lessons, then we would have a lunch together; after lunch we would take a run or three, she would ride with her new buddies and at the end of the day we would take another couple of runs. Cell or radios are a good way to keep tabs without her feeling she has to be babied by dear old parent.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My friend had the same idea about flows for his 6 and 7 year old boys. It turned out to a horrible failure. Flows require a certain coordination of putting your feet in to make the backs come up easy enough for a kid. They also require the kid to be standing or kneeling. Both alot harder then simply sitting. Go with regular straps and make sure the rachets opperate easily.

For boots surf ebay for deals. Boa is your friend here. My friend found some awesome boa boots for his kids for under $50.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts